julicorn's journey

Options

Comments

• julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks NorthernPeach, hope you're having a great weekend too! Ours has been really fun so far, we went for brunch yesterday and then we spontaneously went to see Incredibles 2 at the cinema. We found out we still had some free tickets left because we signed up for a Picturehouse membership last year, and I also got a free G&T as part of some promo! Don't mind if I do ;)
    Today has started well as well, made some peanut butter waffles for breakfast. I'm going to try and do a fair bit of cooking today to prepare some food for next week, so we don't end up making 'oven food' every evening. Trying to be healthy is hard! Aw well, baby steps.
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • julicorn
    Options
    I thought I might as well share my current savings goals with you guys, makes me a little more accountable than just shuffling stuff back in forth in a spreadsheet!

By the end of December, I want to:
    1. Save up £1,200 for a holiday in Europe in the spring, probably Budapest
    2. Rebuild our home maintenance fee fund to £500
    3. Build up a home improvements fund of £1,000
    4. Try to keep up the £1,200 mortgage overpayments per month, but only if we manage to put £500 a month to fund the above.

Currently, this is what that looks like:
    Budapest: £200/£1,200
    Maintenance fees: £0/£500
    Home improvements: £100/£1,000
    OP July: £900/£1,200

Will see how that goes!
  • julicorn
    Options
    We got paid yesterday, so I was finally able to budget for August! YNAB is so addictive, I was honestly counting down the days.:rotfl: Somewhat hilariously, we had a cheese and wine evening at work yesterday, which turned into a 'way to much wine for julicorn' evening in reality, so I did all my budgeting very drunkenly. Somewhat surprisingly, it all looks relatively sensible, and I have not allocated £500 to take-away pizza. :rotfl: (I am however feeling absolutely awful today, and will have to find a way to recover quickly because I have a meeting up in London at 4pm. Currently sitting at work, eating all the fruit).

There was also some money 'left over' after budgeting for August, so I have paid that towards the mortgage. This is our final overpayment for this month, bringing the total for July up to a nice and round £1,331.26, and our remaining balance below £194k :j

I've done a bit of projecting as well, and it looks like we're not going to be too far off our £1,200 OP target next month. I'll try and sell some stuff to get there, still got a few clothes flying about that I've been meaning to put on eBay for a while.

And just to update the rest:

Budapest: £400/£1,200
    Maintenance fees: £300/£500
    Home improvements: £100/£1,000
    OP July: £1,331.26/£1,200
  • julicorn
    Options
    It's Sunday, it's raining (hallelujah!), it's the end of the month and we're well and truly YNAB poor, i.e. there's lots of money in the bank, but none left in any categories for this month. We went over a little bit on groceries this month, especially because we had some friends over last night as well, but it's not that dramatic. I've also agreed with Mr Julicorn that I'll be doing the food shopping in August, because at the moment I'm basically complaining that he's spending more money than necessary without me actually doing any of the shopping. :rotfl: Seeing as that isn't exactly fair, I'll take over next month and see how I get on. Either we'll save lots of money, or I'll realise that we NEED to spend that much money, which at least will stop me from nagging in the future. Win win! :)

From a bigger picture perspective, I'm getting more and more into the idea of wanting to retire early. My parents both had to have heart surgery in their mid 50s, and I really just don't want to still have to work at that age (I mean, I might still, but I'd like to be in a position where I can make that choice rather than having to rely on it). It would be really good to get some perspective on our current plan, because I know really that investing would probably be the more sensible way, especially in order to benefit from all the compound interest, but that's not we're doing right now.

Basically, we're wanting to move into a bigger (ideally 'forever') home in about 5-8 years time, when we are early/mid 30s. For this, we're overpaying the mortgage as much as possible in order to build equity in our home. Cost wise, we're looking at the type of property that's worth about twice as much as our current flat. I know we could make more in interest from investing, but at the same time I feel like overpaying is the safer strategy with market fluctuations and all that jazz, seeing as we're talking relatively short term in the grand scheme of things. (We are also contributing a fair bit more than the minimum into our work pension schemes).

Once we're in the bigger home, my current plan is to start investing into stocks & shares. We're currently paying just over half of our take home income into the mortgage (including regular payments + overpayments), so should be able to save up/invest quite a bit in the future.

Every now and then I'm not sure if I'm attacking this whole thing from the wrong end. But then, really, most people I know my age aren't doing anything at all in terms of aiming for early retirement/financial independence, or in fact even for saving up for property. So maybe we're doing ok simply by doing SOMETHING. :think:
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    Options
    JennyP wrote: »
    Well done on the big overpayment!!!

I am rather jealous that you can see your account online. My mortgages don't have that facility.

If you discover how to make Chinese curry sauce, please post! I can't have msg so all the ready made mixes like Mayflower are out for me.
    julicorn wrote: »
    Thank you Jenny! I'm glad our mortgage has an online account, I'm a bit of a control freak :rotfl: in fact, I transferred £2,500 into that new Nationwide account, but apparently my online account will only be available from Friday, and I'm half freaking out on the off chance something went wrong with the transaction :rotfl:

Will keep an eye out for curry sauce for sure!

A bit late to the curry sauce party but Kenny McGovern's Takeaway Secret recipe book has it and loads more - it's brilliant. Got mine used on Amazon for a couple of quid.

Pinch of garlic powder
    1/4 two sugar
    Lunch of turmeric
    2 tbl sp of plain flour
    2 tsp of Madras curry powder
    1 tsp of sweet paprika
    1/4 tsp of chilli powder
    1/2 tsp of salt
    2 tblsp of oil
    2-3 cloves of finely chopped garlic
    1 inch piece of finely chopped ginger

Fry garlic and ginger
    Mix all other ingredients and add to the pan to make a dry mixture
    And stir try for 30 seconds
    Add water slowly until you get a thin sauce then gently heat and stir until it thickens.
    Reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes until it reaches the right consistency

Enjoy :)
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • julicorn
    Options
    Cheers Pinky! :)

August has started off really well. Between savings interest, bank rewards and a refund, I've already got enough money to make a £100 overpayment (which I sent just now :j )

That savings account I opened needed me to write a cheque for the starting balance. The freeholder of our flat also wanted the maintenance fees as a cheque. I mean, seriously, this is the 21st century and suddenly people want me to start using cheques - what on earth? I swear they were phased out ages ago (I'd only ever written 2 in my entire life before last month).

Anyway, I've taken today off because I had quite a bit of overtime built up, and am just doing a bit of life admin stuff while watching property programs and the news. Living the dream, basically.
    It's the pride weekend here as well. We usually go to the festival and then the village party. This year, we left it too late to get tickets, so will probably have a much more quiet pride weekend than usual. I can't wait to watch the parade though.

Hope you've all had a good start into August as well. :)
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pinky, thank you for the recipe and Julicorn well done on yet more overpaying!

Early retirement is wonderful! Can't tell you enough how much I am enjoying my freedom - this is my first year. Not averse to doing bits of work but not having the nine to five is fabulous!
  • julicorn
    Options
    JennyP wrote: »
    Early retirement is wonderful! Can't tell you enough how much I am enjoying my freedom - this is my first year. Not averse to doing bits of work but not having the nine to five is fabulous!

That's awesome, glad to hear you're enjoying your freedom! I sometimes mention my plan to friends of mine, and the responses usually range from "are you that unhappy with your job?" [no, I love it!] to "I wouldn't really know what to do with all that free time". But really, for me it's not so much about doing less, but rather about having that freedom and being more intentional with my time.
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had times of "What do I do now?"

I wonder about what I might do when we finally finish our house. There's no doubt that empty time is scary. But for me that's not a reason to stay on the treadmill. I quite liked my jobs - well, had two very different careers and both were great in their way.

But now I think of all the things I could choose to do and it's very exciting. Meeting a friend on Wednesday and we might start running dating workshops for singles. We are both qualified therapists in different ways and I got so ripped off by crappy workshops and events when I was single that I love the thought of offering something of value.

Sorry, bit of a wild tangent.... Have you got stuff you'd like to do if you gave up work?
  • julicorn
    Options
    Dating workshops sound excellent! That's such a great idea.

Giving up work for me is still in the far distant future, so it's hard to think of anything concrete that wouldn't change by then. If I were to stop now, and could comfortably live without an income, then I'd like to focus a lot more time and energy on art (which I don't have the time and energy for as much as I would like at the moment). I'd also quite like to do some work in the area I'm already in, but with more flexibility (e.g. working as a consultant, running workshops, those sort of things). To be fair, my role within the company has changed a fair bit, so it allows me to do quite a lot of those things anyway, but still within full time hours.
    And on a more day-to-day level, I'd like to spend more of more time outside, going on walks, exploring the area a bit more. At the moment, I just find myself quite tired from work and social commitments, so tend to just spend my free time on the weekend pretty much 'recovering'.

I'm super looking forward to the week we've got booked off work in August though. It's the first time in over 5 years that Mr Julicorn and I have a week off and are just staying at home (rather than go on holiday or visit family), and I honestly can't wait. We might even be able to finally paint those window frames we've been wanting to sort out since February :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business