The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    What colour [STRIKE]debt[/STRIKE] car did you get :D?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    pinkypig wrote: »
    Lurked on your old diary for years - loved it. Looking forward to to!lowing this one officially now I'm out of lurkdom:rotfl:

Pp x

Welcome!
    I was just wondering where you had gone! Welcome back. No better man than you to pay off that £20k in short order, I am sure. Good luck with everything and love to all the family. X

Thanks SSS, I am chipping away at it and the being sensible exercise is bringing us together as a couple, even if it's just to complain about being skint ;)
    gallygirl wrote: »
    What colour [STRIKE]debt[/STRIKE] car did you get :D?

I believe it's called [STRIKE]Cosmos[/STRIKE] Poorhouse Blue - think it might be similar to your wee abroad car? Our only stipulation was that we didn't want a white one.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ooh - hello again, Ed! Glad to hear all is well with everyone :) I haven't confessed on my diary how much my new kitchen is costing - ( but it's well in excess of your CC debt figure) :eek: - and I currently only have about half of it in cash.... May be joining you in the skint club! :D
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hurray, he's back! Good to see you :) and I really hope my post makes it to the first page :rotfl:

ETA - Yay, it did!
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,879 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Good to see you back Ed! It's good to know getting back on an even keel isn't just my target at the moment.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• edinburgher
    DD has been nursing a cold over the last few days and it has progressed to a chest infection. Cue an ambulance being sent to take her to hospital last night! :eek:

It was a storm in a teacup - we waited nearly an hour for them to show up - then another half hour to be seen at the hospital. The upshot of this was several hours spent in the megahospital and a course of antibiotics. The poor wee mite was quite unwell, prodded, poked and weeping. She did make a great impression on the female paramedic who walked in the door to a smile and a hug :rotfl:

It was scary (nobody wants to see an ambulance pulling up), but we had the same thing last year and I greatly preferred just going to the local out of hours service with queues 1/10th of the size and no waiting around. If that was the NHS in early November, I hope we don't need to use them again this year!

In money news, I have made a couple of eBay sales and have paid £30 or so off the credit cards. I've also listed an old sat nav (new car has a built in one) and I've had a couple of P2P loans that looked to be gubbed pay back monies.

Managed the yellow stickers of the century at Sainsbury's last night - 6.4kg of pork roasting joints for £6.19 :drool: I'm thinking two massive roast dinners with multiple leftovers and lunches and a basin of pulled pork served with steamed pumpkin and HM BBQ sauce?

I've also managed to pick up a few cheap but fun stocking fillers for DD and will really need to get cracking on the rest of the presents. Money was put aside into a savings account for all gifts, so at least that's covered.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Glad to hear the finances are well covered, but poor little DD! And yes, poor parents too, just the sight of an ambulance you've called for your little one has got to be terrifying. They didn't keep her in? How is she now ?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    They let us out at about 11. She's a bit better, but whiny, wheezy and belligerent :eek:
  • Sounds like me after a long bike ride.

Hope she is feeling better very soon. X
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure