Remortgaging, income lower than before

I have a mortgage with TSB outstanding £97,000. Originally borrowed £99,750 (I think).

Anyway, when I originally took out the mortgage my income was £28,000. Now it is £21,000. My partner's income has remained the same, though I am the main earner. I have been on the TSB website and asked it how much it'd lend me - it has a calculator. Based on our incomes and debts, it says it'd lend me £85,000, whereas if I enter my old figures it says £122,000.

One thing in my favour is the value of the house - we bought it for £105,000, now its worth about £130,000 - a mortgage surveyor would accept this value easily.

I want to remortgage and feel that TSB is my only option due to my lower income, but are they even an option? Will they lend me another mortgage as an existing (very good) customer? Or will they treat me as new and decline based on my income?

I hope to get a new job soon, but decent jobs are hard to come by as a 32 year old with no specific qualifications.

TIA, and apologies if its been asked before!
Could HAVE. Should HAVE. Would HAVE. Not OF.

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Remaining with your existing lender does not constitute a remortgage. Just a product switch. Apply online and you'll have no need to disclose your change of circumstances.
  • You would save money if you deal with the bank directly with product switch directly. I do not think it can be done online you would have to make an appointment. The mortgage advisor will discuss your circumstances in an informal way not to check things bit to find the right product switch for you.

They may also try to sell you life insurance.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • If I remain with my existing lender but move to a different product will I still have to pay arrangement fees etc? And if I tell them the value has increased will they insist on seeing this for themselves ie charging a survey fee?
    Could HAVE. Should HAVE. Would HAVE. Not OF.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    They'll use an indexed valuation rather than send a surveyor out. Unless you want to pay for one.
  • If you remain with TSB you will not have to disclose your income. If you go elsewhere you will. If the property has gone up you may be able to get a better rate as your LTV will be lower. Whether or not you have to pay arrangement fees depends on the product.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure