And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage

Comments

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Curious minds want to know...

What do you do with cooking bacon PP?

I've only every used it in a stew (instead of pancetta) and in a quiche chopped finely.
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 5 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    Curious minds want to know...

What do you do with cooking bacon PP?

I've only every used it in a stew (instead of pancetta) and in a quiche chopped finely.

Hi RT :wave:

I usually cut all the fatty bits off for the birds and then use the big bits in sandwiches for ds's breakfast:p. The other bits I use for omelettes, quiche, carbonara, risotto, pea and ham soup and chicken and bacon pie filling. It's also nice chopped up and put in mayo with peppers ect for sandwich or baked potato fillings.
    Hope you and OH are ok :)

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • pinkypig
    Forumite
    Evening :wave:

It's nearly Friday:j:j:j

As last weekend was so hectic I'm planning a relaxed one:D. The kids are at their dad's so I'm free of responsibility :p. So far it's a freezer dinner and a bottle of wine on Friday night. This will hopefully be followed by a lie in, coffee in bed, a run, a bubble bath, a box set, a freezer dinner and more wine :) As for Sunday, I'm going to see what I feel like doing.

In money news it's been a nsd :j and there's still no sign of a new tenant:(

However, small steps to freedom and wellbeing included;

Drank enough water

Did a 10k run and stretched properly - you've live and learn (and then forget and have to learn again:o:rotfl:).

Changed ds's bed and washed the bedding and a load of laundry done and got it on airers. As it was a bit chilly so I lit the stove so it'll be dry in the morning and the living room and kitchen will be toasty:)

Dry laundry folded and put away

Cheap,healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, lo chilli for lunch and ys fish, ys thai noodles and salad for dinner:money:)

Lunches ready for tomorrow

Painted my toenails:)

DD hoovered downstairs

Got my winter boots out of the loft :eek:

Boiler fixed so there is hot water upstairs and down:)

Emailed about driving lessons for DS

Classroom tidy and resources ready for tomorrow. Marking is nearly up to date - half an hour before school should do it.

Off for an episode of TGBBO and then bed.

Happy nearly Friday:):)

PP xx
  • Hi PP I’ve been off work for a few days and stumbled on your diary and have since read from start to finish. Very inspiring stuff, love how much you’ve achieved in a year and shows what can be done when someone is focused. We’ve just started smal OP to our BTL and are actually looking at increasing our main mortgage in the next 6 months but it will give us considerable value in the long term. And will then begin over paying and adding avc to my pension.

Thank you for all the inspiration, on food, exercise (I feel so much better after a run, and whilst they don’t necessarily realise it my family are grateful too :rotfl:), wellbeing as well as financial things. I’ve screen shot a couple of recipes as I love to get food spends lower and will continue to follow your journey if you don’t mind. I hope you’re Dad settles. Sending much positive thoughts and vibes your way.
  • pinkypig
    Forumite
    Hi PP I’ve been off work for a few days and stumbled on your diary and have since read from start to finish. Very inspiring stuff, love how much you’ve achieved in a year and shows what can be done when someone is focused. We’ve just started smal OP to our BTL and are actually looking at increasing our main mortgage in the next 6 months but it will give us considerable value in the long term. And will then begin over paying and adding avc to my pension.

Thank you for all the inspiration, on food, exercise (I feel so much better after a run, and whilst they don’t necessarily realise it my family are grateful too :rotfl:), wellbeing as well as financial things. I’ve screen shot a couple of recipes as I love to get food spends lower and will continue to follow your journey if you don’t mind. I hope you’re Dad settles. Sending much positive thoughts and vibes your way.

Hi PF :wave:

Thank you for taking the time to post and for your kind wishes for my dad (whose slowly settling in :)).
    Crikey, the whole diary - Well done and thank you. The support on here is simply fab:)
    Balancing OPs and AVCs is working for me although I'm desperate to get rid of the mortgage so it's tempting to throw everything at that - just remember the tax relief I'm clawing back:)

Good luck with your plans and your running - the benefits sure are worth the effort of forcing yourself out of the door :):)
  • pinkypig
    Forumite

I've been very lax about posting so must get back into the swing :o

The weekend has been great, very chilled and just what I needed. The weather was way better than forecast so I managed a walk and a trail run in the sunshine:). It was a bit chilly though! I also did lots of reading, ate well, had coffee in bed, drank some nice wine and prepped a huge bag of foraged apples for the freezer.

In money news I have a tenant going through referencing (third time lucky :p) and I had no spends other than filling up the car and £11.33 on fruit,veg and some fresh bits. My last batch cook has saved a fortune this month not to mention time and energy. I'm going to have another go at half term :)

Today's small steps to success and freedom included;

Visited dad

Classroom tidy, resources ready for tomorrow and marking up to date.

Cheap, healthy eats (cereal for breakfast, calzone from the freezer and salad for lunch and batch cooked spicy black bean bake with sweet potato mash for dinner)

A nsd :j

Swallowed a frog - email

Did a short run

However, I didn't drink anywhere near enough water and ate too much between meals:o. Must try harder :o:o

Off to bed as I'm trying to get a bit more sleep :)

Happy Monday to you

PP xx
  • Happy Monday PP, well done on keeping up with the marking, always a big challenge. How are the new class? I remember you had a mixed year group last year, so does that mean you have some treasures for the second year or is this a whole new class?

I have a 1 litre water bottle I carry around with me. 2 of those a day are my requirements. Works well.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Good going PP, DD's birthday sounds fab - and a lot of hard work!!

Glad your Dad is settling and you are getting more free time. Also, excellent work on the school front. It's not easy keeping on top of everything but it feels so good when you are!x
    New Mortgage: £240 999 7/2/20Current Balance: £ 205 000 Aug 23Mortgage Advance £27 000 April 2022Current Balance £22 450 Aug 23Business Loan £89 000 Jan 2023Current Balance £44 499 Aug 23
  • pinkypig
    Forumite
    Happy Monday PP, well done on keeping up with the marking, always a big challenge. How are the new class? I remember you had a mixed year group last year, so does that mean you have some treasures for the second year or is this a whole new class?

I have a 1 litre water bottle I carry around with me. 2 of those a day are my requirements. Works well.

I'm trying so hard to drink more water but it's a work in progress! I have indeed got some kids for another year but they are delightful:D. I've a couple of 'characters ' but its lovely class. Really enjoying work as a result:):)

Hope you're doing ok. Is the supply market still good? Xx
    woodfired wrote: »
    Good going PP, DD's birthday sounds fab - and a lot of hard work!!

Glad your Dad is settling and you are getting more free time. Also, excellent work on the school front. It's not easy keeping on top of everything but it feels so good when you are!x

Hiya WF , marking is indeed the curse of the job as you're only ever ahead for 12 hours or so:eek: I bet you don't miss it :rotfl:

DD's party was great and pretty thrifty but I did feel a bit like a galley slave that week! It sounds like you've done similar for your DS and family - glad it went well. Also glad you've outed that toerag that's been stealing from you. Honestly don't know how folks like that sleep at night:mad::mad: Well done you for spotting it:T xx
  • pinkypig
    Forumite

It's so cold :eek: Keep reading about warm, sunny weather - not here I'm sad to say! My winter duvet is on and I'm in bed with a cup of tea and the electric blanket on - bliss:)

Today has been a good day. Work went well and I'm really enjoying my teaching which is a relief as I was feeling a bit weary and disheartened last year.

In money news it's not been a nsd as I filled the car up with fuel and spent £7.30 in Aldi having a massive stock up on beetroot which I love as it goes off S6 tomorrow. I also got 4 packs of 29p figs and some half price salad bags p!us some peppers and carrots. All the peppers were red and yellow - no green:j. I was very excited so clearly need to get out more :p
    It's nearly pay day :j. The budgets are all looking very healthy as I've battened down the hatches since the rental was on notice. It's empty now but I'm really hoping not for long. At least I'm able to ride these things out without too much worry as a result of my mse ways and the safety of my emergency fund.. Makes me realise how fortunate I am and for that I'm truly grateful.

Today's small steps to success and wellbeing included;

Drank enough water
    Spin class done
    Recycling sorted out ready for collection
    Got given a carrier bag full of Bramleys :)
    Resisted putting the heating on
    Cheap,healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, lo for lunch and batch cooked 3 bean chilli, brown rice and quinoa with salad for dinner)

Freezer lo defrosting for lunch tomorrow and boxes of salad prepped and in the fridge.

Classroom tidy, resources ready for tomorrow and marking up to date. So hope I can keep this up!

I'm off to watch a bit of tv and then bed. Happy Tuesday to you :):)

PP xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback