United Patients - Private Medical Insurance

I received a letter, dated 6/12/16, from lawyers RPC, who are representing AUAL, former underwriters for United Patients. They told me that I was eligible for a refund of the premiums paid on the Hospital Cash Plan insurance policy and that they "considered it likely that United Patients had mis-sold this policy" to me in 2001. On 26/1/717, I received a second letter enclosing a £400 cheque for that “refund in full and final settlement of any and all liability that AUAL may owe” from January 2005.

Has anyone else heard of this?
Which organization oversees complaints into this type of insurance?

Comments

• I also received the same letter, I am still waiting for my refund even though the form was returned in December and I have rang twice since.
  • stardust23
    stardust23 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I sent my form back to RPC but they never responded. So I emailed them and then it was sorted out.

The email address I used was Efia.Davis@rpc.co.uk
  • I received a letter today (10/10/17) with a cheque for £120 for 3years premium paid. I tried to look it up on the internet and your comments were the only things I could find.
  • I tried to look it up on the internet and your comments were the only things I could find.
    Doesn't affect a great many people and so obviously wasn't newsworthy enough for widespread coverage. Everyone concerned will be contacted automatically.
  • The FCA & Lloyd's are aware this product was miss-sold over a 20 year period, making the owner of UPA an estimated £51million, all from a small office in Mill Hill London. When previous underwriters discovered the faults with the miss-selling and bad administration of the product they sold the book of business on to another London Market insurer, and so on landing up at AUAL, who attempted to cover it up again. I forced AUAL to report it to the FCA and NCA as a suspicious activity and the only response was from the FCA to AUAL to pay back the premium. As AUAL only took the book of business over from BritInsurance in 2005 they have been advised by RPC they can get away with only paying as far back as 2005. You are all entitled to a full refund of everything you have paid from the inception of your policy with United Patients and I strongly suggest you make contact with the Financial Ombudsman to claim your refund and compensation.
  • The UPA website no longer exists. I can't find UPA on Companies House either.

Presumably, it is no longer in business?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure