When is the best time to switch to a new ISP?

Hi all

I have a special offer with Sky for fibre broadband that comes to an end on 23 August 2018. This is also the end of my minimum term with them.

They are currently not as competitive as some offers so it looks I'll probably be switching. When would be the best time to initiate a switch to minimise overlap in costs? I'll be sticking with an Open Reach service so it'll be a 'gaining provider led' switch.

Many thanks

M

Comments

• anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 July 2018 at 3:56PM
    Seems to be showing as 14 days when I put my details in. I looked at a few different provider sites. So I would work back from when you want to switch for and do 14 days prior to this.

One site said around 14 days. Another around 2 weeks. One said a minimum of 14 days.

None of them actually specifying an exact date though. (I'm sure last year when I transferred I could actually specify a date).
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    2 to 3 weeks usually. You can often select the changeover date with the new supplier.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    mije1983 wrote: »
    2 to 3 weeks usually. You can often select the changeover date with the new supplier.

And often you can't.
  • mije1983
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    And often you can't.

In the last 18 months, I have been with Now TV BB, BT, Plusnet, then BT again. Each time I have been able to select my own changeover date. So in my experience you always can, however I can't comment on providers I haven't been with, hence the 'often'.

As I'm about to change again, it would be interesting to know which ones you can't choose a date with if you're willing to share that?
  • mrochester
    mrochester Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    mije1983 wrote: »
    In the last 18 months, I have been with Now TV BB, BT, Plusnet, then BT again. Each time I have been able to select my own changeover date. So in my experience you always can, however I can't comment on providers I haven't been with, hence the 'often'.

As I'm about to change again, it would be interesting to know which ones you can't choose a date with if you're willing to share that?

It might be Now TV BB I’m going with.
  • It is Now TV. I went through the process today. Its not possible to specify date and 'chat' confirmed this. Told me to sign up again 2 weeks before.
  • mije1983
    asutton709 wrote: »
    It is Now TV. I went through the process today. Its not possible to specify date and 'chat' confirmed this. Told me to sign up again 2 weeks before.

Strange. I'm positive I did when I went with them, but it was a couple of years ago now not long after they launched.
  • hatt55
    hatt55 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm in a similar situation - I took out what I think was a pretty good deal (via MSE) last year with Sky. It ends on the 1st of September. I found a deal with Plusnet for a similar price (once cashback etc. is bundled in) but if I order that tonight, when the deal ends, Plusnet have suggested 10-12 working days to set up the connection.

So, do I sign up to the limited time deal with Plusnet tonight and potentially risk some (fairly small) early termination fees on Broadband and line rental from Sky? Or, is it normal that even if the Plusnet deal I'm looking at ends this evening, some other pretty similar deal will crop up within a few days? There always seem to be limited time special deals available!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Its deal or no deal .
    Yes if you sign up a better deal will come along .
    Dont sign up and you will have missed the best deal .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure