2018 Benbenandme's Next Battle

Hello :wave: It's that time of year for another new diary ... I'm not a newbie, I've been around these parts for years, never quite knowing whether I should be on here or the Mortgage Free boards, but after much consideration I have decided to return here for my next diary installment.

I have previous chapters of my journey on here, but a brief history of my last ten years is as follows: I am a single parent to a 14 year old boy with ASD. I love him to bits, he is my whole world, but causes me a great deal of stress and worry too :o We have been living in a flat for the last 10 years and I have worked hard to clear my mortgage on it. In March this year we finally moved into a small house, which is lovely, and near my Mum. My brother lent me £30k to help get the house which is my 'debt' that I am paying back. The monthly budgets are stupidly tight, partly as I want to get it paid asap even though he is in no hurry for it back.

Looking further ahead ds is in year ten so only has 18 months until his GCSE's. After this he wants to do an apprenticeship which, from a financial point of view, means my child benefit, tax credits and child maintenance will stop :o, meaning a drop in total income from approx £1900 to approx £1200 :eek: So, this year could potentially be my last one with this extra income, so I need to maximise the potential ...

My next post will list my SOA and my plans for 2018, please stick around for the ride, all help, support and thoughts are appreciated and very much welcome :D
Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
2024 Savings: £2532

Comments

• Happy shiny new diary!
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • Sounds like you have worked hard to get where you are. Well done.
    Wishing you and your boy well.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 30 December 2017 at 10:38PM
    So, my SOA:

Income:

Wages £1208
    Child Benefit £82
    Tax Credits £290
    CSA £360

Total = £1940

Outgoings:

Mortgage £346 (fixed for 5 years)
    Council Tax £149 (should be lower in April, was higher as paid over 8 months)
    Life Insurance £29
    Home Insurance £15
    Water £35
    Gas/Electric £76
    Car tax £12
    Car Insurance £25
    Car Maintenance £30(put in savings account)
    Mobile £21 (out of contract in Feb so will be reducing to SIM only)
    Sky £55 (phone, broadband and tv)
    TV licence £12
    Union £9
    Spotify £10
    Gift fund £50
    Car Fund £50 (put in savings account)
    Household Fund £100 (put in savings account)
    Petrol £100
    Food £250
    Payment towards repaying brothers loan £350
    Ds train club £4
    Haircuts £12

TOTAL: £1740

Remaining £200 per month for day to day spends

My next post will explain my targets for the 12 months ahead ...
  • Happy new diary BenBen. x
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    So, 2018 .....

I am still jiggling some bits about, but by the end of 2017 the state of play should be as follows:

Mortgage - £73, 102 / £75,000

Brothers Loan - £9,500 / £30,000

I have 12 months to work on these figures, I have planned and mind-mapped lots over the last few days and I think I have a pretty clear plan of action;

I aim to knock £500 a month off my brothers loan, £350 of this comes straight from my wages, the other £150 has to be 'found'. I have already got a structure in place for where this will come from, so £6,000 in total over the year is broken down as follows:

£350 x 12 = £4200 from wages
    £250 from bank switch offer (due January)
    £130 from another bank switch offer (due Jan/Feb)
    £82 child benefit payment (13 payments over 12 months)
    £290 tax credit payment (13 payments over 12 months)
    £200 ebay
    £500 surveys
    £200 Swagbucks
    £120 Job Spotter
    £28 other ...

I have been earning from online surveys etc for years, this is an achievable target for this. Likewise, Swagbucks is a dull but reliable source of pennies. Currently I have been redeeming my points for Amazon vouchers then using this to buy gifts and transferring the money from my gift fund. I will see how it goes, I may continue this or I may just cash out to paypal from Swagbucks.

Job Spotter is a fab app I have been using for a couple of months, another east way to add in some more £££'s here and there.

So, so far it all seems quite straight forward, however, as always, things don't ever go to plan quite like that. There are other bits and pieces that may bring in some more money here and there, this will go into a 2018 fund which will be used for any unexpected costs as there is very little leeway in my monthly budget, so for example school uniform costs in the summer. If there is a surplus at the end of the year (unlikely) this will then be chucked into the pot towards my brothers loan.

We do have some nice days out to look forward to already in the new year, and we also have a holiday booked for the summer, a rare event for us. We are going on a cruise, I am stupidly excited about this, I have managed to save almost all of the cost of it and will dip into my household savings pot to find the last £80 so I can get this finished before the new year begins :)

So, two days to get everything straight and in place ready for the new year to begin. That means moving money between accounts, checking all my survey accounts, reading lots more on here to find every little way possible to make those extra pennies :D:D Please stick around!!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,535 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sounds like a great plan I’m sure you’ll do it don’t be too hard on yourself if your brother is happy to lend it to you I’m sure he means it. So impressed you’ve already paid for the cruise you always manage to balance the needs of your DS and you that’s really lovely. All the best for the new diary I’m signed up.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• Following with interest Benbenand me!
  • dangers
    dangers Posts: 1,456 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi Benben, happy new diary and here’s to a good 2018!
  • Hi Benben,

Happy new shiny diary x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family