PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 14 August 2018 at 8:56PM
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Bereft of decent chazzers :(

Head slightly out of the main town centre, and it's a different matter :) . The only reason I go into Southend itself is for the library (a good reason, but unfortunately the recent change means access to less books.

Actually not totally true. There is a way around it.

You can still join the Essex Library service. I rejoined the Essex Library service, ironically in Rayleigh, and keep your Southend Brough account. So you can benefit from both,

Unfortunately you can't get stuff sent to any of the libraries in the Southend area.

But you can pick it up in the closer towns of Rayleigh, Hadleigh and Rochford where Essex Library's are. Renew them online, then when finished with, return them to any of the said above.

Plus being a member of Essex Libraries gets you access to a bigger selection on the app Borrowbox with 7000+ books, 2000+ audio books.

VfM4meplse , as you have a car it's ideal for you.

But with the amount of books you buy, you seem to be a library on your own. :D
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    robin58 wrote: »
    Actually not totally true. There is a way around it.

You can still join the Essex Library service. I rejoined the Essex Library service, ironically in Rayleigh, and keep your Southend Brough account. So you can benefit from both
    Brilliant advice, thank you! Access to Chigwell, Debden and Loughton libraries (coincidentally good chazzer-haunts) restored :D
    robin58 wrote: »
    But with the amount of books you buy, you seem to be a library on your own. :D
    To which I added another 3 for £1 today. Plus a very lovely double-breasted and fully lined navy blue / white polka dot spring / autumn jacket for £3.50. I can't find the exact style online, the nearest is this (mine is shorter though):

91588189.jpg
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2018 at 2:05AM
    Glad to be of service.

Join Essex Library locally. They are more sympathetic because of the chaos caused by Southend splitting. Just take proof of your Essex address.

Will look out for you in your polka dot jacket when I visit Southend HS or HCR. ;)
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • SuperMoose
    SuperMoose Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I love reading this thread and hearing about people's bargains but haven't had anything to contribute until now.

I got a 100ml bottle of Penhaligon's Cornubia Eau de Toilette which currently sells for £98 for 50p :money: It's probably been sprayed once if that.
    Also the matching talcum powder unopened for 50p :)
    Please put out food and water for the birds and hedgehogs :)
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    SuperMoose wrote: »
    I love reading this thread and hearing about people's bargains but haven't had anything to contribute until now.

I got a 100ml bottle of Penhaligon's Cornubia Eau de Toilette which currently sells for £98 for 50p :money: It's probably been sprayed once if that.

Wow...just wow! :T. Love Penhaligon stuff.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    well done on the perfume...wow what a lovely bargain xx
    onwards and upwards
  • SuperMoose wrote: »

The shop probably didn't recognise the brand.

They always price up the premium stuff. Probably would have been £4.99 each if B & H. :rotfl:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    People who buy B & H as a gift should definitely give a goat to a deserving cause. It has nothing whatsoever to recommend it.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    A while ago in a fairly expensive gift shop in an upmarket seaside town I saw some lovely driftwood gifts, one of them was a piece of flat driftwood with a tiny cottage sat on it - it looked so lovely and I was very taken with it but it was £30. Whilst still on holiday in that area I found a piece of driftwood on the beach and brought it home and started looking for a little cottage to go on it, the CS came up dry - lots of Lilliput lane but they weren't right, lots on ebay but too expensive. This week I found it - Tremar pottery, tiny cottage called Moorland Cottage for £2.50. It always turns up.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Now there's an idea for summer holiday memory gifts...
    Yet the lad has already returned from Cornwall with gf & extended family, so suggestion to bring back driftwood a bit too late for him.

Does a massively (down to 10%) reduced to clear box of rather lovely chocolates count? Not a charity shop or car boot find, but Such a Saving that I'm enjoying very nibble at least three times over. I do *love* it when Waitrose realises whooops - only a fortnight til the BBE. (I got an identical box in their advent sale for mum - now I can appreciate my generosity.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure