Do I have to pay the ppi claims company if I never signed anything with them

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    All sorted now
    Care to share with others how your problem was "sorted"?
  • [Deleted User]
    Plus the fact that I'm the one going back and forth to the bank doing all the running about and chasing people so what exactly do they think they can charge me £350 for is beyond me
    Have you edited this post so substantially because it contradicts your other three posts about this? :eek:
    In your other threads/posts you claim that the fee is £440 and that you contacted the Bank yourself to complain.

In this thread you originally claimed the fee was £350 and that the Bank contacted you out-of-the-blue about a "complaint" you knew nothing about.

Poor show editing out these contradictions, especially without any comment.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    wolvesmat wrote: »
    Recently I came across an ad online from uclaim4me for a free ppi check.
    It just asked for the basic personal details name address DOB etc. I gave my details. Heard nothing from the claims company. No correspondence no email no texts no phone calls no messages no letters no questionnaires or any paperwork to complete no contracts to sign absolutely nothing.
    Totally forgot about it then 6 weeks down the line received a letter from Barclays saying they where investigating my claim but needed some more information. Which was a surprise as I hadn't given anyone the go ahead to chase my claim I just thought I was requesting a free ppi check.
    Anyway I contacted the bank and answered the questions then a day later received another letter from Barclays requesting more info on a separate loan which I chased them up on the phone again to answer their questions. Again received another message requesting even more info.which I got back in touch. Finally received a letter from Barclays regarding my overdraft payments that they had calculated my claim to be £965 in total with the cheque enclosed.
    The day after banking the cheque I've had texts and emails from uclaim4me demanding their 30% fee plus 20% vat .
    For the grand total of £350 .
    Question is am I liable for this. As I said I received nothing from claims company at all . I never filled any paperwork or questionnaires and I certainly never signed a contract
    Plus the fact that I'm the one going back and forth to the bank doing all the running about and chasing people so what exactly do they think they can charge me £350 for is beyond me

This is the original post to help others in future
  • wolvesmat
    wolvesmat Posts: 18 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Have you edited this post so substantially because it contradicts your other three posts about this? :eek:
    In your other threads/posts you claim that the fee is £440 and that you contacted the Bank yourself to complain.

In this thread you originally claimed the fee was £350 and that the Bank contacted you out-of-the-blue about a "complaint" you knew
    Poor show editing out these contradictions, especially without any comment.

I agree that there being somewhat contradictory statements . As the original online form was so vague and the complete absence of communication from cmc to even suggest that there even was any claim or that they were going to process it and the length of time that passed as I had been so busy working away that by the time the bank approached me it was out the blue..
    And in an 8 page letter from the bank there was no mention of the cmc .
    As far as the amount in question this is not a contradiction it's a miscalculation based on when receiving corespondance from the cmc they didn't quote the amount at the time of my post they just said I needed to settle the balance. So when I looked into them it just stated their fee was 30%.. And I estimated their fee being 30% of my refund. When I received the actual invoice it turns out that it is 33% not 30% as advertised on their website. Also a £20 admin fee . I had made the mistake of calculating the amount based on 30% of my final settlement after tax.

It seems though people are missing the point by picking up on mistakes by myself when the main point is a company trying to hold me liable for what in their words was a signed contract when nothing was actually signed in pen on paper and not any acknowledgment from the cmc to say to say anything about them taking on my claims. The very first corespondance from them was to say they wanted the bill settling.
  • wolvesmat
    wolvesmat Posts: 18 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Why would you say that I have edited parts of your post in order to misquote you. What would be the point of me changing your quote when your "original" post would be available to view.
    Maybe you edited your original post after I had replied and then raise the point in attempt to discredit me or make me look bad.
    For the record I have not edited any of your post.
    In fact I've not even used your post personally to quote you. I just simply replied to your post and the forum would have posted it automatically
  • [Deleted User]
    It's the original post in this thread which was edited, apparently because it contradicted your other three posts/threads about this issue.

Any further such discussion is off-topic and serves no purpose.

Almost three weeks on, has your issue advanced any?
  • jooboo
    jooboo Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    edited 28 June 2018 at 1:16PM
    Hi all

I don't remember signing or filling anything out but Nationwide phoned me to ask a couple of questions and they said I had signed an agreement with caims4you.

I checked through my paperwork and couldn't find anything, so I have now emailed Nationwide to ask them for proof of my signature. Out of the blue another claims company called me I told them what was happening and they were astonished that a claim was even going into Nationwide as they are not allowed to pursue them as they never get anything back from them!

Will keep you up to date on this.

Got hold of Nationwide apparently uclaim4me have put in a claim, forged my signature, and filled out a form of which I was not told about. Nationwide accepted the claim and my signature. There was another obvious mistake Nationwide let slip, the address on the claim was my old address! The security check was is not up to scratch. I have asked them to send me copies of the claim showing my signature and to make sure they send it to the right address. I can then call the claim company and the ombudsman. Any tips from anyone are most welcome.

UPDATE: 28 June - I have received the paperwork from Nationwide. They have given me £20 back on the PPI claim (that I didn't make!) To me it clearly isn't my signature but as I have banked with Nationwide for over 20 years I do not know what they were comparing it against. I have made an appointment at my branch to discuss this next week.
  • Can I ask how was your problem resolved , Getting the same hassle giving me sleepless nights and can't remember ever signing anything really upsetting and worrying
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ask them for a copy of the contract you signed. If they have it then you pay them. if they dont then you dont.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • It would appear I used a site called myoffers that offered a search for ppi via uclaim4me.
    A electronic signature was applied and then attached to a letter off authority to the Halifax.
    I vaguely remember doing such a thing but thought it was just for a search.
    The signature looks nothing like mine and surprised that the Halifax excepted it , You would hope a wet signature would be required in a contract but apparently not.
    This is open to abuse and I find very worrying
    A lesson learn't I guess
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family