NHS worker since 1999? Are you due £1,000s of tax back

Options

Comments

• mentaljessie
    Options
    Myself and my partner were respective seconded student Nurses in the years 2004-2007 and 2005-2008 following on from being former HCA's. I merely handed in my certificate of qualification and payslips. He had a contract of training stating his contract of training. We both respectively applied in October 2017, initially he was rejected and I turned down for National Insurance.

Roll on 2018 and on appeal and him indoors was refunded National Insurance and collectively we have recieved £26,148 from HRMC. For tax paid and National Insurance contributions made by us both. We made independant claims as our respective employer no longer exists. We further estimate that about £50,000 has been claimed by fellow colleagues.

We all followed advice as per moneysavingexpert.com advice and we have a lot of happy nurses in our team!
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Myself and my partner were respective seconded student Nurses in the years 2004-2007 and 2005-2008 following on from being former HCA's. I merely handed in my certificate of qualification and payslips. He had a contract of training stating his contract of training. We both respectively applied in October 2017, initially he was rejected and I turned down for National Insurance.

Roll on 2018 and on appeal and him indoors was refunded National Insurance and collectively we have recieved £26,148 from HRMC. For tax paid and National Insurance contributions made by us both. We made independant claims as our respective employer no longer exists. We further estimate that about £50,000 has been claimed by fellow colleagues.

We all followed advice as per moneysavingexpert.com advice and we have a lot of happy nurses in our team!
    obviously, and as shown in other earlier posts, people like yourself do indeed "win"

but in the context of the poster before you, if you win that means you paid no tax at all for that period and that has direct implications for whether you qualify for other benefits in that period. To repeat: you cannot have your cake and eat it.
  • mentaljessie
    Options
    Thankfully as we have both been employed by the NHS since the ages of 18 and have never claimed any tax credits ever, and retire at the ages of 67. We will have paid our dues, and will still recieve a full state pension. As student nurses we'd of loved to of had this money, it was no joy, travelling 70 miles everyday to university. Now we are older, this will make a real dent into our new mortgage. Realistically we are a band 5 and 6 nurses now, so hardly fat cats creaming from the state.

It was tax and National Insurance that was our money in the first place. It was no joy trying to pay my then sole mortgage on a 11k salary.at the time.
  • venus_12
    venus_12 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    In 2000, I was a health care assistant employed by the NHS In 2002-2005 i was seconded to complete my nurse training as a full time student. I have attempted to claim back Tax and NI contributions via my previous trusts Payroll department.In February i provided all the necessary documentation but subsequently in February i recieved the following reply..

"We have received conflicting advice from HMRC which differs from the original eligibility criteria that they first issued and we have been attempting to seek clarification from them.

A paper has also been sent to the Trust’s Senior Management Team in light of the number of WAT claims we have received as to the next steps we take due to the difference in advice received, as it could create a significant liability issue for the Trust. I have been told that we have one further matter to clarify to then determine how we deal with the outstanding requests."

i have heard nothing further since this response. Has anyone else received similar feedback?
    it appears as this may be quite a significant road block ...
    thanks in advance
  • rosecoloured10
    Options
    Was wondering if anybody had any advice of what to do if your trust point blank refuses to process your claim. I contacted HMRC but they just refer me back to my trust. I believe I qualify and other people on my course have received refunds in the same circumstances but payroll wont budge at all
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Was wondering if anybody had any advice of what to do if your trust point blank refuses to process your claim. I contacted HMRC but they just refer me back to my trust. I believe I qualify and other people on my course have received refunds in the same circumstances but payroll wont budge at all
    find a no win no fee solicitor and sue the trust for discrimination (would help if you had some additional grounds besides not being treated the same as others over money)
  • Charly0
    Options
    I have applied for the WAT scheme as people I know from other hospitals have received the refund for the same job role that I am currently doing, twice my claim has been put on hold as they look into things, on the second time I was told my claim would be processed and I would receive my refund in August’s pay. I received a letter last week saying I have been rejected the claim as nhs employers have now found the loop hole to stop people getting the claim, in that you pay into a pension, you gain a salary that can get increments each year, what they don’t state is that it is on 70% of a salary going up to 75% in the second year and heybhave now added that going to college once a week is not classed under the scheme even though I am supernumerary and not classed as an official member of staff and I am training on the job for the whole 2 years completing my btec and nvq. The most frustrating thing about it all is that they have given it to some people and are now starting to refuse others for exactly the same job and circumstances. If anyone can help me to fight this with some information I would be much appreciated.
  • Toppy
    Options
    Is anyone able to help. I applied for a refund on my wishing access course which I thought I started on 1st September 1999. Turns out it was 31st August 1999, so I'm not eligible. Does this means I can't do anything about it. Help much needed. Thank you
  • jjbramill
    Options
    I've recently started a nursing apprenticeship. I work 7.5 hours in a Band 3 role and I'm at Uni 30 hours per week. I'm wondering if i'm going to have to pay income tax. I've taken a significant drop in take home pay to start the course so it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jjbramill wrote: »
    I've recently started a nursing apprenticeship. I work 7.5 hours in a Band 3 role and I'm at Uni 30 hours per week. I'm wondering if i'm going to have to pay income tax. I've taken a significant drop in take home pay to start the course so it would be greatly appreciated.
    Not on such a small wage
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport