Thames Water meters now compulsory?

123457»

Comments

• does anyone know if bromley council has a contract with thames water?
    if yes;then we r among 170,000 clients due compensation from the council for not passing on the discount on our bills
    this wil make the 1991 clause illegal;until this is sorted out
    i dont have paper bills;if someone examines there paper bill and gets back tome;i will be very gratful
    bob from bromley
  • if bromley council have not refunded the full discount from thames water to the customers
    then "162" is null and void until resolved
    i have inform bob neill our M P
    bob
  • Martlea
    Martlea Posts: 9 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 May 2018 at 7:38PM
    Thames Water fitted my property with a meter in March 2017 after a repair to old external Victorian stop valve.
    I had a 'Activating your Meter' letter from Thames stating there was a two year adjustment period during which my supply would remain on flat rate unless I decided to switch early. I did not.
    Now just receive two 'new bill' emails from thames, one in April for usual annual flat rate supply and another in May for refund of direct debit payments made since March.
    On quering this with Thames I was informed they had decided to cut the two year adjustment period to one year and had switched my a/c over to the new metered supply! No letter to inform me of this.
    I complained this was breach of agreement but to no avail, best I could get them to do was change the billing from twice a year - two direct debit payments to 12 payments per year.
    They also claim not to have recent readings and are estimating usage despite having emailed bills with usage clearly shown. As I can get no satisfactory explanation or action on this from Thames I have refered the complaint to The Council for Water to hopefully sort out.
  • Thames Water replaced my road (of 1890s houses) mains around 8 years ago in a partnership with homeowners as the mains are through our rear gardens not the street and part of of this was they repalced the pipework all the way to my stopcock. What I don't understand is why they didn't insatll a meter.
    Also the smart meters - what is their transmission distance? I just had my gas and electricty smart meter installation cancelled because the meters were at either end of the house and the gas one couldn't transmit to the electric one.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Martlea wrote: »
    I complained this was breach of agreement but to no avail, best I could get them to do was change the billing from twice a year - two direct debit payments to 12 payments per year.

What 'agreement' did you have?

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7342
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    leonardw wrote: »
    Also the smart meters - what is their transmission distance? I just had my gas and electricty smart meter installation cancelled because the meters were at either end of the house and the gas one couldn't transmit to the electric one.

I may be wrong - but I thought that the "smart" water meters just allowed "drive by" readings to be taken, not transmitted back to base?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    brewerdave wrote: »
    I may be wrong - but I thought that the "smart" water meters just allowed "drive by" readings to be taken, not transmitted back to base?

You are not wrong - the meter reader has to come 'near' the property.

As for range. I have a long drive, and my meter is inside the house, and the readings are still taken from the road.
  • Yommy
    Yommy Posts: 1 Newbie
    I have paid in advance for a year with the next payment due around April next year but I keep getting letters from TW that they will now move me to be paying £600/year if meter is not installed in 14 days.
    Is TW exploiting the consumers so as to make money for the meter manufacturers/companies or why is this urgent?
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Yommy wrote: »
    I have paid in advance for a year with the next payment due around April next year but I keep getting letters from TW that they will now move me to be paying £600/year if meter is not installed in 14 days.
    Is TW exploiting the consumers so as to make money for the meter manufacturers/companies or why is this urgent?

how are you being exploited? If you have paid in advance and then get a meter then you will get refund
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport