Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • colinw
    • By colinw 22nd Jul 13, 8:09 PM
    • 55,811Posts
    • 153,664Thanks
    colinw
    It's a Panda!
    • 22nd Jul 13, 8:09 PM
    It's a Panda! 22nd Jul 13 at 8:09 PM
    Awwwwwwwwwww twin panda boys born in Atlanta Zoo six days ago....Congratulations to Lu Lu

Just an update on the Atlanta panda twins....

This thread was started jut over two years ago when the twin pandas Mei Lun and Mei Huan were born in Atlanta Zoo. They are the only surviving twin pandas still surviving born in a US Zoo. Well they celebrated their 2nd birthday back in July and they are still together in the same enclosure and will be until they reach sexual maturity at about age 4.

Last edited by colinw; 05-10-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Page 1
    • ineed
    • By ineed 22nd Jul 13, 8:12 PM
    • 4,141 Posts
    • 12,134 Thanks
    ineed
    • 22nd Jul 13, 8:12 PM
    • 22nd Jul 13, 8:12 PM
    Awwww cute .
    I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
    No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 22nd Jul 13, 8:13 PM
    • 14,289 Posts
    • 57,451 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    • 22nd Jul 13, 8:13 PM
    • 22nd Jul 13, 8:13 PM
    Aww, congratulations Lu Lu.
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 22nd Jul 13, 8:19 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    • 22nd Jul 13, 8:19 PM
    • 22nd Jul 13, 8:19 PM
    good grief - they full term? they have some growing to do! oh hang on - are Pandas like Kangaroos? give birth to foetuses? which then develop fully outside the pandamum? how on earth does she cope?
    • colinw
    • By colinw 22nd Jul 13, 8:20 PM
    • 55,811 Posts
    • 153,664 Thanks
    colinw
    • 22nd Jul 13, 8:20 PM
    • 22nd Jul 13, 8:20 PM
    Awwww cute .
    Originally posted by ineed
    Aww, congratulations Lu Lu.
    Originally posted by Mrs Bones

Even cuter when they grow into one of these

Little Mr Wu from san Diego Zoo...one years old in two days time
    • colinw
    • By colinw 22nd Jul 13, 8:22 PM
    • 55,811 Posts
    • 153,664 Thanks
    colinw
    • 22nd Jul 13, 8:22 PM
    • 22nd Jul 13, 8:22 PM
    good grief - they full term? they have some growing to do! oh hang on - are Pandas like Kangaroos? give birth to foetuses? which then develop fully outside the pandamum? how on earth does she cope?
    Originally posted by meritaten
    Of all the mammals the Panda has the most undeveloped babies. It is one of the reasons they are endangered as so few survive. They do not even bother naming them in zoos until they are 100 days old due to the high mortality rate.
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 22nd Jul 13, 8:23 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    • 22nd Jul 13, 8:23 PM
    • 22nd Jul 13, 8:23 PM
    ew - those claws don't look cute! I bet it has teeth to match!
    • colinw
    • By colinw 22nd Jul 13, 8:24 PM
    • 55,811 Posts
    • 153,664 Thanks
    colinw
    • 22nd Jul 13, 8:24 PM
    The mother

• meritaten
    • By meritaten 22nd Jul 13, 8:24 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    from that to this in a year? that's fast development. would need to be I suppose in the wild. colin, where do the babies live on the mum while they are er 'growing'?
    • colinw
    • By colinw 22nd Jul 13, 8:26 PM
    • 55,811 Posts
    • 153,664 Thanks
    colinw
    ew - those claws don't look cute! I bet it has teeth to match!

The cubs hide high up in trees while the Mother goes looking for food in the wild. That is why they have to learn to climb so young as it protects them from preditors.
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 22nd Jul 13, 8:26 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    oh she is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why do we get this urge to stroke these huge wild animals? she would devour me wouldn't she?
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 22nd Jul 13, 8:28 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    The cubs hide high up in trees while the Mother goes looking for food in the wild. That is why they have to learn to climb so young as it protects them from preditors.
    Originally posted by colinw
    really? wow! so mum hides them in a tree and goes off and finds food for herself then returns to feed the babies? sort of a cross between birds and animals then. jeezus - learn something new every day! Thanks for posting and the info Colin!
    • colinw
    • By colinw 22nd Jul 13, 8:28 PM
    • 55,811 Posts
    • 153,664 Thanks
    colinw
    from that to this in a year? that's fast development. would need to be I suppose in the wild. colin, where do the babies live on the mum while they are er 'growing'?
    when they are born? she feeds them like a normal mother would but basically they Mother panda will not eat until the cub gets to a certain size. She builds a nest before hand to keep the cub warm and safe. When they have twins in the wild they normally abandon the weakest one as they just can not handle and cope with two cubs. In zoos they swap them around. One in the incubator and one with the Mother. Then they swap them around.
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 22nd Jul 13, 8:29 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    no, silly me, she wouldn't eat me - they are vegans aren't they? but she is capable of killing humans though I would think.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 22nd Jul 13, 8:30 PM
    • 55,811 Posts
    • 153,664 Thanks
    colinw
    really? wow! so mum hides them in a tree and goes off and finds food for herself then returns to feed the babies? sort of a cross between birds and animals then. jeezus - learn something new every day! Thanks for posting and the info Colin!
    she does not really hide them, they just have a instinct to climb high in the trees which protects them. Not that important in zoos but they still spend loads of time high up in trees.
    • ineed
    • By ineed 22nd Jul 13, 8:30 PM
    • 4,141 Posts
    • 12,134 Thanks
    ineed
    oh she is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why do we get this urge to stroke these huge wild animals? she would devour me wouldn't she?
    I know , she would but at least you'd die blissfully happy .

I love animals, I have an adopted snow leopard that I pay monthly contributions for and I'm getting a penguin for Christmas. Might ask for a panda as well they are cute .
    I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
    No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle
    • colinw
    • By colinw 22nd Jul 13, 8:32 PM
    • 55,811 Posts
    • 153,664 Thanks
    colinw
    no, silly me, she wouldn't eat me - they are vegans aren't they? but she is capable of killing humans though I would think.
    Apparently the female Bai Yun who lives at San Diego Zoo caught a duck that somehow got into it's cage and walked around proudly with it in her mouth before killing it and eating it. They will eat meat if it is presented to them or if they get a lucky kill. I think in China they feed them the odd peacock in their diet.
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 22nd Jul 13, 8:32 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    fascinating! never thought much about Panda baby raising before - I just assumed that they would behave much like bears do. that's totally wrong. I wonder how that behaviour came about! raising the babies up a tree implies there were ground predators mum Panda worried about.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 22nd Jul 13, 8:35 PM
    • 55,811 Posts
    • 153,664 Thanks
    colinw
    I dont think they are that dangerous. I know when people get in their cages as some nutter do from time to time they normally give them a bite but I suppose the pandas get a bit scared by the intruder. They do get to know their keepers well though and will present their arms through the cage so they can take bllod tests and the like. I have seen keepers in the same cage as a adult female in Adelaide zoo. Other zoos always have a fence between them.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 22nd Jul 13, 8:36 PM
    • 55,811 Posts
    • 153,664 Thanks
    colinw
    I know , she would but at least you'd die blissfully happy .

I love animals, I have an adopted snow leopard that I pay monthly contributions for and I'm getting a penguin for Christmas. Might ask for a panda as well they are cute .
    Originally posted by ineed
    You need to adopt a panda at San Diego zoo!

fascinating! never thought much about Panda baby raising before - I just assumed that they would behave much like bears do. that's totally wrong. I wonder how that behaviour came about! raising the babies up a tree implies there were ground predators mum Panda worried about.
    Where they live in china they have plenty predators that would kill theb cubs. Other male pandas can kill cubs as well!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,084Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter