Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 6:50 AM
    • 14,104Posts
    • 72,483Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 6:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 6:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 310
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Aug 19, 10:56 AM
    • 13,406 Posts
    • 16,223 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Pain & Glory - last night's Cineworld Unlimited Special Screening (and I tend to always go to those when the film may not be shown at my philistine local on normal release).

It's an excellent Almodovar film with Antonio Banderas and Penelope Cruz.

An ageing film director looks back over pivotal moments in his life aided by flashback scenes and recreational drugs... so many drugs.

Spanish with English subtitles - main release forthcoming.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13-08-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • arthurdick
    • By arthurdick 17th Aug 19, 6:47 AM
    • 3,420 Posts
    • 8,351 Thanks
    arthurdick
    The stupidest film I have seen was the one on the Horror channel last night, "Attack of the adult babies", yet, it was funny in some parts, stupidly funny.
    Another strange film I saw recently was "Iron Sky", mad, but some funny parts.
    4371/3 =1457.. some people won't accept that though.
    Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 17th Aug 19, 7:39 AM
    • 26,732 Posts
    • 70,404 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Blinded by the Light

This week's choice. Loved it. Great music, kids dressed like DD and her mates at that time, lower 6th and the political, racist issues.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • FunnyUseName
    • By FunnyUseName 17th Aug 19, 6:41 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    FunnyUseName
    I laughed and welled up a little at The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Possibly the only advantage of having such an appalling memory is enjoying a good story more than once ��
    Be Thankful and Gracious.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 5th Sep 19, 11:58 AM
    • 14,104 Posts
    • 72,483 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Alita: Battle Angel 2019

Great film

Plenty of action, effects and great landscapes.

Emotional aspect too.

Kept attention.

Loved Alita and Hugo.

Appears very original
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 10th Sep 19, 9:45 AM
    • 7,258 Posts
    • 23,334 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs (on Netflix.)
    Six individual Western tales in an anthology.
    Well worth a look whether you particularly like Westerns or not.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 10th Sep 19, 11:23 AM
    • 55,801 Posts
    • 153,641 Thanks
    colinw
    I saw the Laurel & Hardy film recently on a flight, about their tour of the UK when their career was on the wane, I enjoyed it, was quite sad and touching as it was the time when Oliver Hardy's health started to deteriorate and both were getting older, they were nicely played by Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 18th Sep 19, 4:40 PM
    • 14,104 Posts
    • 72,483 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Pok!mon Detective Pikachu (2019)

Enjoyable bit of fun.

'Tim' and 'Pikachu' were great together.

Bit weird seeing London Bus / Bus stop / Landmarks etc.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 18th Sep 19, 5:36 PM
    • 29,026 Posts
    • 16,142 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    The predator.
    The most recent predator film is daft and could not be described as high quality. However it is a fun watch. The main group of characters are very likeable and help make the film enjoyable.
    • walesrob
    • By walesrob 18th Sep 19, 6:31 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 2,959 Thanks
    walesrob
    Infinity Chamber.

I wont give away the plot, but its only near the end do you realise what's going on.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 18th Sep 19, 10:01 PM
    • 27,563 Posts
    • 117,434 Thanks
    candygirl
    Downton Abbey, a bit cheesy but I enjoyed it
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 25th Sep 19, 4:24 PM
    • 26,732 Posts
    • 70,404 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Ad Astra

We were so eager to see this, as it was well-reviewed by all papers. So disappointing! Science fiction has to have some plausibility and no laughable Tom Cruise-type physical feats

I don't want to say too much. No spoilers.
    Last edited by pollypenny; 25-09-2019 at 6:47 PM. Reason: Typo
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 25th Sep 19, 6:07 PM
    • 3,270 Posts
    • 5,860 Thanks
    coffeehound
    I watched Ad Astra last night. Personally really liked it, though perhaps crucially, made sure I knew nothing about it beforehand.

It shares a lot with 'Hard Sci-Fi' films such as 2001: ASO and Moon. Sparse, tense, art-house, technical, but with some moments of intense action. Sure, there are some implausibles, but... Some stunning, mind-boggling visuals, too. Will probably go back and watch it again.

9.337/10.

Last edited by coffeehound; 26-09-2019 at 1:15 PM.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 25th Sep 19, 6:10 PM
    • 13,406 Posts
    • 16,223 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I saw it last week. I thought it was okay.

I can see what they were aiming for but for me it was a classic case of trying to hit multiple genres and failing in all of them. Also, the physics/practical issues didn't impress me. Perhaps I didn't understand it, but I thought the overall premise was weak.

2001 and Moon are classics by comparison.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 25-09-2019 at 6:12 PM.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 25th Sep 19, 8:39 PM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Alita: Battle Angel 2019

Great film

Plenty of action, effects and great landscapes.

Emotional aspect too.

Kept attention.

Loved Alita and Hugo.

Appears very original
    Originally posted by I luv cats
    Agreed. Watched this at the weekend also. My wife wasn't for it but really enjoyed it after giving it a chance.

Another that i wanted to watch which she wasn't really in to but ended up really enjoying was Baby Driver. Love what they did with the music editing on that too.

• I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 25th Sep 19, 10:54 PM
    • 14,104 Posts
    • 72,483 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Aladdin (2019)

Great film

Aladdin, Princess Jasmine, Genie and Monkey were great.

Can't remember the original. (heard the song 'A Whole New World' before, might have an old track)
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 5th Oct 19, 7:28 PM
    • 3,658 Posts
    • 8,100 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Joker had the makings of a great film but, for me, there was something missing, although I can't quite say what. It was fine, but I left feeling it could have been so much better. Personally I don't see an Oscar nomination coming for Joaquin Pheonix, which I thought might be a possibility from looking at the trailer, but I may be wrong.

(For anyone who sees it, don't wait for a post-credit scene, as there isn't one).
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Oct 19, 8:57 AM
    • 13,406 Posts
    • 16,223 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Joker ...
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    I saw this on Saturday, too. I've been mulling over what to say about it since then.

First off, this is another extraordinarily good performances by Joaquin Phoenix. It's just so good.

The film's tone is necessarily grim. It's grim from start to finish. The first half of the film also grinds its way quite slowly through the dregs of the backstory.

Is it "good", though? Overall, I'm not sure. It certainly hangs very squarely on one central performance with little else to redeem it. Does it have something enlightening or useful to say about mental illness? Not really.

Best Actor? - plausible.

Best Film? - no way.

• I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 8th Oct 19, 7:33 PM
    • 14,104 Posts
    • 72,483 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Joker (2019)

Don't know what to make of it. Dark / disturbing.

Didn't read-up about the film before going to see it though heard stories about USA bans and police presence.

Probably will be a cult film.

Was it suppose to be funny in a warped way

There are some moments. Did drag a bit. Not particularly original in its theme.

Few people in the cinema clapped
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 14th Oct 19, 7:16 PM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Joker had the makings of a great film but, for me, there was something missing,
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    Agreed.

As was said after you, it dragged a bit. I think that was the issue for me, it just seemed to take forever to get going and that whole laughing on and on and on and on and on and onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn thing was annoying. I know it was to illustrate his mental state, his condition, but it's ok, i get it, you don't need to keep him laughing for 5 minutes solid!

I don't mind a dark film so it's not that. I have no problem whatsoever with dark humour or violent films so it's not that.

But i don't know, i was just left feeling very disappointed in it after thinking it would be superb.

Watched Gemini Man at the weekend. Much better watch. Ok i'm not calling it a great film but it was a decent watch so long as you're not daft enough to take those kinds of films too seriously. The action scenes were disappointing in that the young Will's movements were so computerised and so obvious but aside from that it was a decent watch.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

1,368Users online

Martin's Twitter