Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Doug J
    • By Doug J 10th Sep 19, 12:29 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Doug J
    Leaving VM and email
    • 10th Sep 19, 12:29 PM
    Leaving VM and email 10th Sep 19 at 12:29 PM
    As I will shortly be moving house, I do not want to use VM at my new address, even though its available there. (become too expensive for my needs) .
    I realise this means I have the annoyance of losing my VM email accounts after 90 days. I wondered if I could buy a Virgin mobile SIM for a 4G hub, and , as virgin mobile customer, keep my email account ? anybody tried this with a virgin mobile ?
    can you get a virgin email account with just a mobile ?

thanks for any thoughts on this.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 10th Sep 19, 12:39 PM
    • 4,961 Posts
    • 3,235 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 10th Sep 19, 12:39 PM
    • 10th Sep 19, 12:39 PM
    Similar thoughts - I'm with AOL/TalkTalk - and have fixed line and a separate mobile SIM. I don't want to lose my email as I have a good many contacts.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Sep 19, 12:49 PM
    • 4,611 Posts
    • 2,688 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 10th Sep 19, 12:49 PM
    • 10th Sep 19, 12:49 PM
    As I will shortly be moving house, I do not want to use VM at my new address, even though its available there. (become too expensive for my needs) .
    I realise this means I have the annoyance of losing my VM email accounts after 90 days. I wondered if I could buy a Virgin mobile SIM for a 4G hub, and , as virgin mobile customer, keep my email account ? anybody tried this with a virgin mobile ?
    can you get a virgin email account with just a mobile ?

thanks for any thoughts on this.
    Originally posted by Doug J
    Similar thoughts - I'm with AOL/TalkTalk - and have fixed line and a separate mobile SIM. I don't want to lose my email as I have a good many contacts.
    Originally posted by Robin9
    Bite the bullet and just move everything to a Gmail,Yahoo or Hotmail account and never have to ask this question again.
    • macman
    • By macman 11th Sep 19, 10:42 AM
    • 43,573 Posts
    • 18,700 Thanks
    macman
    • 11th Sep 19, 10:42 AM
    • 11th Sep 19, 10:42 AM
    Group cc email to your entire address book takes maybe 5 minutes to send?
    Then 30 mins to change the email address on your online accounts?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 12th Sep 19, 1:15 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 4,287 Thanks
    dreaming
    • 12th Sep 19, 1:15 PM
    • 12th Sep 19, 1:15 PM
    I have also been with Virgin for a number of years and have a virginmedia.com account. I cut the tv package out a few years ago when I retired but the b/band and phone package has continued, mainly because I never had the landline connected here when I moved in, and I thought it would be too expensive in both time and money to change providers. However, the other week one of my daughters moved house and was shopping around for b/band deals. When I saw how much (or how little) she was paying I realised that even with paying to get the landline sorted I could recoup that in a few months with the savings I could make. So to that end I have just set up a new Gmail account and will start to use that. It does say you can import contacts from another account so will work out how to do that (where's a handy 7year old when you need them?). I just need to see when I can get out of the Virgin contract and start checking those deals. I can't believe I haven't sorted this out before as I am usually pretty quick to change other utilities.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 18th Sep 19, 9:16 AM
    • 6,540 Posts
    • 4,340 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 18th Sep 19, 9:16 AM
    • 18th Sep 19, 9:16 AM
    Never use ISP provided email addresses.

Not only for the reasons you list, but also because they tend to be on antiquated platforms or they use Gmail/Yahoo/Outlook platforms anyway.
    • japitts
    • By japitts 23rd Sep 19, 1:30 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    japitts
    • 23rd Sep 19, 1:30 PM
    • 23rd Sep 19, 1:30 PM
    Group cc email to your entire address book takes maybe 5 minutes to send?
    Then 30 mins to change the email address on your online accounts?
    Originally posted by macman

An open-CC to multiple people like that, isn't great netiqutte, a BCC much better practice.

But I'd agree with other posters - at the very least use a throwaway freebie account like hotmail/outlook/gmail etc, or for the sake of 15 or so a year and maybe 30minutes setting it up... buying a domain is a much better solution.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,053Posts Today

4,335Users online

Martin's Twitter