Changing contract to wife's name?

I am with Plusnet, and it seems to be getting more expensive, but my contract expires at end of the year.

Instead of renewing, is it possible to cancel everything, and have a new account set up under my wife's name on the 1st Jan 2020? She has a different surname to me.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,611
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If you cancel you may have to pay line termination fees and be without phone/internet for a couple of weeks while it is set up again by the provider.

I would just migrate to a new provider when you reach your minimum term with Plusnet to get a better deal. You can choose to have your wife to be the account holder with the new provider if you wish.
  • ▲▲▲ As above although you should contact PN beforehand after checking what else is available. It's just not worth the effort and possible problems faffing about the way you describe.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,499
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If PN believed your wife was a new occupant,it would be a totally new account in your wife's name so you probably wouldn't get the same phone number, as well as losing the t'internet possibly for a week.

Also IF you are on fibre and your local cab. is at capacity, you will end up having to manage on an ADSL connection.
    Much easier to negotiate with PN Customer Retentions!:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure