xbox S - help!!!!

Hello all

I wonder if you might be able to assist at all?

Am looking at getting an xbox S for my son and am a little confused (don't know too much about gaming in all honesty)!

We have decided upon the digital version (rather than the physical disc type) and want an extra wireless controller (so two in total), all seem to be 1Tb drives now, so that is fine. All packages seem to include a taster for GP/LG with them.

However, the confusion seems to be with Game Pass / xbox love and ultimate?

As I understand it, the following applies:

GP allows access to (approx) 100 different titles on a monthly basis.
LG is needed (to play others online / some of the games)
Ultimate is a combination of both GP & LG - is this correct?

I can find the GP/LG (and presumably) Ultimate on sites like
cdkeys - but want to know what to get (it will be 12 months subscription) and then my other query is stacking (presumably it is just a case of buying and registering them, which automatically stacks them?

TIA

s_d
Sometimes I wonder...
"why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
...and then it hits me
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Jesus loves you...A nice thing to hear in church, but a horrible thing to hear in a Mexican prison
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 September 2019 at 12:42PM
    Hello all

I wonder if you might be able to assist at all?

Am looking at getting an xbox S for my son and am a little confused (don't know too much about gaming in all honesty)!

We have decided upon the digital version (rather than the physical disc type) and want an extra wireless controller (so two in total), all seem to be 1Tb drives now, so that is fine. All packages seem to include a taster for GP/LG with them.

However, the confusion seems to be with Game Pass / xbox love and ultimate?

As I understand it, the following applies:

GP allows access to (approx) 100 different titles on a monthly basis.
    LG is needed (to play others online / some of the games)
    Ultimate is a combination of both GP & LG - is this correct?

I can find the GP/LG (and presumably) Ultimate on sites like
    cdkeys - but want to know what to get (it will be 12 months subscription) and then my other query is stacking (presumably it is just a case of buying and registering them, which automatically stacks them?

TIA

s_d

Yes your first question/assumption is correct.

Regarding the second, has he asked for a Gamepass subscription ?
    If not then why not get a trial which I think lasts for a month.

If he has asked for 1 then get the ultimate.

I got Ultimate by using the tip mentioned here.

You can stack them, so if for example 6 months into his subscription you see a great offer on the Live Gold/Ultimate pass you enter the code at xbox.com and it will add it onto current sub so it basically extends it a year. You were limited to doing 3 complete years.

Where are you buying the console from ?

Only done a quick comparions here but the digital console at Amazon is £214.99

John Lewis disc version is £218.99
    Both include an extra wireless controller.

Apologies if your aware of this/stating the obvious, when he doesn't play certain games anymore you can trade them in and use the proceeds against another game or store credit. With the digital you don't obviously have the option.

Oh and 1 last thing if your going to store card details on the console (which is perfectly fine btw) make sure you have certain precautions in place eg you can have say a PIN or password setup so it needs to be entered before a purchase is made.

Are you in a rush to buy 1, if not then why not see what Black Friday will offer.
  • Hi DCFC

Not too sure what happened, typed up a message and then it all went blank and I lost it all!

Regardless, the jist of it was that while the JL link showed two controllers and I couldn't see it in the amazon link (maybe I just missed it).

His birthday is the end of November, so Black Friday is cutting it kinda close unfortunately (DS2 will be 16).

He hasn't asked for either subscription but researching it, it became apparent it was needed. Each box comes with a couple months trial, so he can decide after that what (if anything) he wants.

Will set up my cc details on his box and create the precautions as you have suggested.

We have not decided where to purchase it from yet, just waiting to tie all the info together before buying everything needed.

We decided on the digital edition, as it offered all of the gaming without the fuss of (possibly) having to trade the used games in, he would be able to just play straight away (I believe he has access to a certain back catalogue with GP).

He is mesmerised by Sea of Thieves, so we looked at getting a regular console and buying the disc of SoT for him, but it worked out better value to get the digital version and all the associated items.

TIA

s_d
    Sometimes I wonder...
    ...and then it hits me
    Jesus loves you...A nice thing to hear in church, but a horrible thing to hear in a Mexican prison
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  • DCFC79
    OP just to the right of the photo of the Xbox it tells you how many in stock and just below it gives you different bundle options eg with this game or that game, and just below them options is the controller 1.
  • The all digital version is a great buy and this is where the future lies.

Why would anybody want to trade in their old games or have the the ability to buy cheap used games when you have to buy everything new. It also makes buying games so much easier as there's only one place to buy from and you don't have to shop around for the cheapest price. Yes often you will find the disc version cheaper than the download but you pay for the convenience,

Games are also getting bigger and need more space on the HD but with digital downloads you can delete the game and download it later unless like recently with Duck Tales Remastered where the license expires and they remove the ability to download it, so you lose the game that you payed for while those smug disc owners just load their copy that the companies can't take away from them.

It's not as if the disc based console has all the advantages of the all digital edition plus more. Oh wait it does damn.

It's a shame that in 30 years time the kids today will likely not be able to play the games of their childhood. Where as I can still load up a tape in my Spectrum and enjoy the games again as I did over 30 years ago.
  • Lumstorm wrote: »
    The all digital version is a great buy and this is where the future lies.

Why would anybody want to trade in their old games or have the the ability to buy cheap used games when you have to buy everything new. It also makes buying games so much easier as there's only one place to buy from and you don't have to shop around for the cheapest price. Yes often you will find the disc version cheaper than the download but you pay for the convenience,

Games are also getting bigger and need more space on the HD but with digital downloads you can delete the game and download it later unless like recently with Duck Tales Remastered where the license expires and they remove the ability to download it, so you lose the game that you payed for while those smug disc owners just load their copy that the companies can't take away from them.

It's not as if the disc based console has all the advantages of the all digital edition plus more. Oh wait it does damn.

It's a shame that in 30 years time the kids today will likely not be able to play the games of their childhood. Where as I can still load up a tape in my Spectrum and enjoy the games again as I did over 30 years ago.

Can you not transfer / download to an external source (assuming of course the 1TB is getting full up) then? In theory, that way you would always have the game to hand then rather than having to delete it?

I appreciate that both the digital and disc based versions have certain advantages (and disadvantages), however, as the world is changing, I am sure that digital is the way to go (its all right having a disc based system, until it develops a problem and needs resolving, if everything has moved on (and you can't resolve it) where do you turn)?

TIA

s_d
    Sometimes I wonder...
    ...and then it hits me
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Lumstorm wrote: »
    The all digital version is a great buy and this is where the future lies.

Indeed, i dont see the point of a digital only console. Are they cheaper? Is the money saved really worth giving up the extra flexibility of one with a disc drive?
    And i would only get an xbox if all my mates had one or i liked its exclusives more. Prefer playstation myself.
  • DCFC79
    Indeed, i dont see the point of a digital only console. Are they cheaper? Is the money saved really worth giving up the extra flexibility of one with a disc drive?
    And i would only get an xbox if all my mates had one or i liked its exclusives more. Prefer playstation myself.

Yes a digital one is cheaper, I myself would rather have 1 with a disc drive, Id rather stick to discs, cheaper for a start and like I say I can trade them in when I like.
    Can you not transfer / download to an external source (assuming of course the 1TB is getting full up) then? In theory, that way you would always have the game to hand then rather than having to delete it?

I appreciate that both the digital and disc based versions have certain advantages (and disadvantages), however, as the world is changing, I am sure that digital is the way to go (its all right having a disc based system, until it develops a problem and needs resolving, if everything has moved on (and you can't resolve it) where do you turn)?

TIA

s_d

Yep you can use an external hard drive to store the games.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary

We decided on the digital edition, as it offered all of the gaming without the fuss of (possibly) having to trade the used games in, he would be able to just play straight away (I believe he has access to a certain back catalogue with GP).

He is mesmerised by Sea of Thieves, so we looked at getting a regular console and buying the disc of SoT for him, but it worked out better value to get the digital version and all the associated items.

TIA

s_d

There are no limitations on the digital functionality of the disc based console, it can use Game Pass and access exactly the same content as the digital only version can. So you can choose to primarily use Game Pass games if you want and buy digital games but you've still the option of cheap disc based games as well which you don't with the digital one.

I do primarily use Game Pass Ultimate on my Xbox/PC but the problem with digital games isn't so much the lack of trade in value, it's that they often hold a high price long after the disc based ones are being sold very cheap. So in some cases I can pay a tenner for the disc based one or £40 for the digital version.

There's not really a disadvantage to the disc based console though as it does everything the digital one does and it can do the disc based contents (games and films) that the digital one can't. I'm not sure what you mean by it developing a problem and needs resolving, it's exactly the same console as the digital one but with the addition of a blu-ray drive so at worst if that fails, you're left with effectively an Xbox digital.

John
  • Can you not transfer / download to an external source (assuming of course the 1TB is getting full up) then? In theory, that way you would always have the game to hand then rather than having to delete it?

TIA

s_d

I know you can put games onto an external drive on the PS4 but I don't know about the XBOX One as I have no experience with it. I have the XBOX and the 360 but never bought the latest generation. But even then it could be a problem in the future if the games need to contact a server for the DRM (Digital Rights Management) to confirm that you are allowed to use the software.

And as Johnmcl7 points out in his post the all digital and the disc based console are identical they just remove the option of using discs which can sometimes be the cheaper way to buy software. It can also act as a UHD Blu-ray player which is another capability lost by removing the drive.

I think that digital distribution could be the future as far as companies see it. It has the benefits of allowing them more control over the software releases. Certainly on the Microsoft Nintendo and Sony platforms they have their own stores that are the only places to get the downloads so that kills of the competition so there are free to charge as they wish, if you want a new game there will be no shopping around for a cheaper price.

It kills the second-hand market as a game can go several peoples hands but they only get money from the first sale. Games will disappear from the platforms and not be available due to things like licensing issues. I just recently bought Sonic the Hedgehog 3 on the Mega-drive it is not been available on newer formats unlike some of Sega's other games (theories seem to be due to Licensing with some of the games music being created by Michael Jackson) but if it was released digital only I would have no way to buy it but as it was released on cartridge there are plenty of copies available on the secondary market.
  • Hi All (again)

so the consensus seems to be that the disc-based xbox might be the way to go (see above for reasons) rather than the digital version.

I was blissfully unaware that the disc based version came with an in-built bluray player as standard (so if it fails (for whatever reason) you are left with (in effect) the digital version of the xbox - assuming this failed - would disc based games not be able to be played (only downloaded)?

Will look into getting a disc-based console instead of the digital version and getting the games via disc (he keeps mentioning Sea of Thieves and I think Game were doing the disc for £20 a little while ago).

Thanks

s_d
    Sometimes I wonder...
    ...and then it hits me
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure