PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    I quite agree that psychological issues can develop in the early years. For me it was an experience at the Durham Miner's Gala. For those who don't know it's a large gathering that happens every year recognising our mining heritage. I remember the the happy celebrations, the happy noise, brass bands playing and the joyous atmosphere etc and for all those enjoying themselves I just remember crowds and very full streets. To this day, even though I will visit Durham I can't shift those flashbacks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_Miners%27_Gala

I don't think I'm sad or the situation is sad pineapple I think I'm human with a perfectly reasonable response to feeling 'threatened' for want of a better word.

For what it's worth I have been with Lyn in the very place she talks about feeling uncomfortable in and never picked up on any nervousness, in fact she lead me by the hand to show me it all! No, I don't think she's sad and I don't think the way she copes with something that perturbs her is sad. It's a normal, sensible reaction that doesn't stop her but she's very aware of it making her feel uncomfortable and as it transpires there's a lot of us who are like that.
  • it's a free world FUDS, and prepping is such a 'personal' thing with every one of us having different criteria to work to, different areas of concern and different ways of dealing with those things we perceive might happen and involve us in them. I'm really NOT frightened by any one separate thing the world may throw our way but I am aware that bad things can and do happen to ordinary people in ordinary places randomly at any time of day or night and I'm damned if I'll relax my awareness levels and just become a 'victim' Life is way too good and precious to allow some bad intentioned person to just end mine by me NOT taking care and thinking Oh it won't happen to me because I'm having a nice day out..... I'm a realist and I DO have nice days out but I always stay watchful and always will. Other folks are individuals with freedom of choice and can do as they want!
  • ...and re the fires aspect of prepping. It was a Hotpoint fridge/freezer that started the Grenfell fire and I saw (on another thread on forum) that London Fire Brigade have commented that over 25 fires have been dealt with by them in the last 5 years that have been from a Beko appliance.

One phonecall later and my mother is about to chuck out her Hotpoint and Beko appliances and replace them with better-quality ones. I already had decent quality ones in my kitchen, but I knew she didn't:cool:

Also shocking to see the aftermath of that particular fire - and people being ordered to leave their blocks and with very little notice. Personally, I don't blame the ones that are refusing to move out - I wouldn't be very inclined to believe it was only going to be "2-4 weeks" before they could move back in myself and would wonder how my possessions were to stay safe/myself to have a decent nights sleep meanwhile and I do wonder whether the necessary work on these blocks would mean having to go inside the individual flats. If it doesnt - then surely the households refusing to move out could just sign a form saying they agree they were staying "at own risk" and then the Council would know they were safe from the risk of an injury claim? It's up to these residents to choose for themselves which of these two options to have I would have thought?
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Both the posts now deleted in case they've made anyone else upset.
    Noooooooooooo!

I regularly make min-articles for myself from this thread, and your posts were going to be part of another one. I like getting to grips with every aspect of a thing :o Like the keeping cool thread on OS, there are points there that haven't been raised on any other forum or official body I've seen (and I've seen a lot!).

You didn't keep a copy of what you'd written, did you, Mrs LW? :o

I shan't be here the rest of today, am staggering off to see my sister (on a country bus, not even a train :D the *big* disadvantage is that it has to cut straight across tributaries to the local river system, i.e. it goes up hill and down dale, so I get out at the other end feeling carsick :p
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Fuddle I spent many happy summer outing at the Scottish Miners Gala day in Holyrood park in Edinburgh. I remember the lines of buses from all over central Scotland, fabulous day out for us!
    MrsL I think some people are natural preppers, natural scouts. Have an inbuilt awareness and radar. I can remember never going into any building where I couldn't see or find the way out in a hurry - and that's when I was at primary school just going to the Saturday matinee at the pictures :)
  • Sorry Karma I didn't but I'm sure my waffle won't make any difference to your prepping levels petal, you've got a sensible little head on those shoulders and you'll be fine!
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm so sorry that you felt you had to delete your posts MrsLW, and I really hope that it wasn't because of anything I said?
    Everyone should be entitled to express their opinions here, and this IS a prepping thread which surely is going to be about taking sensible precautions to stay as safe as we can in an unsafe world - no matter where we happen to live?
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It seems a massive overreaction to me to tell thousands to move out pending removal of cladding. Apart from where all these people will stay, I doubt there is enough unused scaffolding in the whole country to do all the blocks at once, never mind enough non-flammable cladding.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Did they move the people out when they did the cladding in the first place?
  • No Capella love, it just seemed the least irritant thing to do and I was tired and irritable last night and not in the mood to argue the case. Each to his own in ways of life and of prepping and as that old saying goes 'you can't please all of the people all of the time' after all prepping is a personal take on life and what you actually prepare for and about so no one is ever right or wrong whatever they do or don't do xxx.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure