PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    kittie wrote: »
    How do you cook scallops? I have never in my entire life eaten one /

Basically what PN said (the fish not the potatoes) add oil / butter to the frying pan and once hot add the scallops they only take about a minute on each side depending on how big they are, these were lovely big ones with the coral still on. I like to cook them simply with some crispy bacon or pancetta on a bed of baby spinach leaves and a light dressing, but I don't like to pay full price for them. Like squid the trick is not to over cook them.
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    do you eat the coral too? They do sound lovely, saw them on my online fish site for £44 for 6, only looking!! Oh I see that the coral are the eggs, mm I don`t think I would like the texture of that but the meat bit sounds nice.
  • Brambling
    do you eat the coral too? They do sound lovely, saw them on my online fish site for £44 for 6, only looking!! Oh I see that the coral are the eggs, mm I don`t think I would like the texture of that but the meat bit sounds nice.

Do you mean £44 for 6 scallops or to feed 6 people? I brought King Scallops from the Waitrose fish counter, they are usually £36 a Kilo but they were reduced down to £18 a kilo and I brought the last 4 (they were large) I think they were about £2. I prefer the bigger ones and I enjoy them as a treat. I ate the coral but again it's a matter of choice
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I`ll only be going to waitrose for them, if ever brambling

Just popping on to say that the red mullet (snapper) which was free with my last order, is a fish I will never ever buy. It was as tough as old boots, smelt like oily fish and for the first time ever, I could not eat it all. Tasted ok but more like tough tasteless meat than fish. I had to spray everywhere to get rid of the smell, open windows and eat fresh local strawberries. No wonder certain fish are so popular and others aren`t

I have re-potted all my plugs :D and the sky is full of rain clouds :j
  • Brambling
    I`ll only be going to waitrose for them, if ever brambling

Just popping on to say that the red mullet (snapper) which was free with my last order, is a fish I will never ever buy. It was as tough as old boots, smelt like oily fish and for the first time ever, I could not eat it all. Tasted ok but more like tough tasteless meat than fish. I had to spray everywhere to get rid of the smell, open windows and eat fresh local strawberries. No wonder certain fish are so popular and others aren`t

I have re-potted all my plugs :D and the sky is full of rain clouds :j

That could explain why it was free! I haven't eaten red mullet for years I think I remember it being bony if brought whole but I don't remember the taste I assuming as I haven't brought it in about 20 years I didn't like it
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Last night I made a trifle, sudden urge. Used the LO HM carrot cake, my free tin of mangoes & tinned custard
    Good job the mangoes were free, not to my taste at full price

Up a bit earlier than normal, I had planned a photo shoot morning and spent a bit of sleeping time thinking about it:(

Anyway, pot of tea & usual banana porridge breakfast before setting off. I popped into Morries on the way, must have been the magic clear out time, small YS thick sliced loaf, 6p, from 57p:j Ideal CFO size. Nothing else I fancied though

Nice & sunny again, so I went to see a sculpture using some of the poppies from the Tower of London display last year, in a fort near here. Good MSE stuff, free parking & entrance, can't be bad

Unfortunately with my wobbles I could no longer mooch around the gun emplacements & battlements as I used to. But I achieved my main purpose of photo shooting the poppies

Seems like minds are synchronising again, shop / van bought fish & chips this time. I had sort of intended buying fish & chips after my photo outing, but finished earlier than expected, 'cos of mobility troubles, so that plan failed, but the idea is now lodged in the brain and no doubt will be actioned soon

Lunch was cheese salady sarnies, using the 6p YS loaf, followed by a few spoonfuls of trifle

Dinner will be LO cauli cheese, and more trifle
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Tea last night after work was a large rosti potato, and some tempura chicken, with lo salsa and garlic dips.

Some fruit and nut choc and a cuppa, went to bed late, and slept badly again.

A quick tidy today, and done hair colour, I had ham salad with garlic dip on the bread instead of butter sandwich for lunch , and an identical one for tomorrow. Some lo crisp too.

I've got hot smoked salmon fillet with black pepper, with mash and carrots and green beans for tea.
    I fancy trying the steaming in foil of the salmon a la Kittie, anyone know how long to cook it???

I will have Greek yogurt with raspberries after.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Farway wrote: »
    ... I had planned a photo shoot morning ...

I've managed and run two major photo libraries in the past, including choosing the snaps for national papers and evaluating inbound image sets for quality/commercial resaleability.

I've sold some photos in the past, but cameras are too pricey for me to ever "take it seriously" - and I have a cheap/simple android phone just for snaps ... although I can't see what's in the viewer when I'm outdoors as you can't see the screens in daylight ... so I "hope" what I'm after is in shot, then see when I get home :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    For breakfast today I had a toasted muffin topped with beans and scrambled eggs.

I've had a few sweeties and a packet of crisps too.

Early tea was two hot sausage rolls.

I'd volunteered for something in the coming week, not done that before - and received a random/unexpected email saying there's a free drink and a nosh at the end + some subsistence payments! Didn't expect that. I expected to go, work, leave.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    wort wrote: »
    I fancy trying the steaming in foil of the salmon a la Kittie, anyone know how long to cook it???

I steamed mine yesterday, in foil, with a knob of butter. About 10 to 15 minutes, assuming not frozen. Luckily in a steamer / foil pack it would take some doing to overcook it
    You can always bung it back on for a bit longer once inspected

PN, well done on selling photos, I've never tried but believe it is an overcrowded market. I've had a couple "nicked" on line:(

And a nice surprise on the volunteering, always welcome but not expected. I find it gets me out chatting & mixing, plus the odd freebie of excess spuds, apples etc at sometimes of the year
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback