Would you take a punt on a car without mot?

Comments

• davidwood681
    davidwood681 Posts: 881 Forumite
    mollycat wrote: »
    Buy a car with no MOT?

Yes, many times, but.....

1. Very careful and thorough inspection needed, remember to think about stuff that isn't covered by an MOT as well.

2. Never in a million years for anything like £500...too much of a "punt". (for me).

3. And always from a private sale, never from a dealer.

I'm in the "sounds odd, why wouldn't they just MOT it" camp; but hey, what do I know!

Good luck :)

So you'd turn down a MK1 Golf GTi would you?

As said above, we don't know what the car is so to give advice like that might be foolish
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

If it was as rotten as a pear/bent like a non-EEC banana, and the engine was clapped out yes, unless the logbook and the VIN plate are worth a lot more than £500 ;)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

As said above, we don't know what the car is so to give advice like that might be foolish

1. It's not "advice", just points really. I would never presume to be enough of an authority for the folks here to give regard to anything I say. I just contribute on threads that catch my attention.

2. On the same same vein, did you not notice where I said, "but what do I know" :)

Thanks for keeping me right though, jeez what a fool I was for posting ;)
  • moneysaverz83
    moneysaverz83 Posts: 223 Forumite
    It's a mk4 GTI

Btw, suprised no one commented on what looks like clocked mileage. That's as much a concern

Tried to call the dealer, number seems to be not in use. So there I have my answer.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's more likely to be an entry error than clocked mileage. You'd need to check the paperwork carefully to find out.

Car dealers don't do bargains. If it's worth more with an MOT then it'll have an MOT.

He could be trying to sell it to someone who wants the parts or the VIN to put on something else, rather than stripping it for parts.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/75
    If it's being driven away, it MUST be roadworthy, else the seller is committing an offence.

If it's unroadworthy, then it cannot legally be driven, even to an MOT, else the driver is committing an offence.

That applies to private sellers, too, except that traders can't even advertise unroadworthy cars without being very clear about the fact.

No MOT does not mean unroadworthy, any more than valid MOT = definitely roadworthy. It even says that latter bit on the test certificate.

Even if they claim to not know it is unroadworthy?

I mean yes, 100% they know as they would get an MOT and sell for more, but there is no proof.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,682 Forumite
    Wouldn't the dealer be deemed an expert and thus be expected to know if it's roadworthy or not? Did they really buy the car and stick it on the forecourt without inspecting it?
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It's a mk4 GTI

Btw, suprised no one commented on what looks like clocked mileage. That's as much a concern

Tried to call the dealer, number seems to be not in use. So there I have my answer.
    Dealer not MOTing a car, dealer number not in use and a cockup on the ad about mileage? None of those things on their own say walk away but viewed as a combination there's enough doubt in my mind to look elsewhere and leave this one.
  • markudman
    markudman Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    If your asking the question then it may not be for you, £500 for an old golf sounds a lot, what year is it ?
    We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Even if they claim to not know it is unroadworthy?
    Yes. Ignorance is no excuse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport