PSTR certificate?

Options
Hi, I need to transfer some funds from a redundant SIPP to an existing pension. The SIPP provider is asking for the PSTR certificate for the transfer.

I rang my provider and they seemed confused about providing this.

Can anyone offer any insight, please? Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I rang my provider and they seemed confused about providing this.

I dont blame them. Not a request I have come across before.

Certainly old-fashioned firms do sometimes require a form that shows the PSTR (known as a discharge form). However, most modern firms use the pension OPTIONS transfer system which has the PSTR included as part as the info automated info exchange. If it has to be a paper based transfer than the discharge forms of the ceding scheme has their PSTR on it and the info the receiving scheme sends to the old scheme has their PSTR on it.

The PSTR is normally supplied as a number and not a certificate.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • neil_d
    neil_d Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    They tell me that my scheme is out of option for the Origo Options so the form has to be provided, and I have to get my pension provider to send it to them. Hey-ho.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    neil_d wrote: »
    They tell me that my scheme is out of option for the Origo Options so the form has to be provided, and I have to get my pension provider to send it to them. Hey-ho.

Who is saying that? The receiving scheme or the ceding scheme?

If Options cannot be used, then the ceding scheme should issue discharge forms. You sign these and send them to the receiving scheme (with the application or after if you have already made the application). The receiving scheme will then provide the info requested and the discharge form to the ceding scheme.

There are no certificates involved.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • neil_d
    neil_d Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    The ceding scheme is telling me to fill in their document and send it to the receiving scheme who will need to send their PSTR certificate to the ceding scheme to get the transfer done
  • dunstonh
    Options
    neil_d wrote: »
    The ceding scheme is telling me to fill in their document and send it to the receiving scheme who will need to send their PSTR certificate to the ceding scheme to get the transfer done

That is correct (or semi correct). There is usually nothing for you to fill in (apart from sometimes your name, DOB and NI number if its not a personalised form). Just a signature from you. You send that discharge form to the receiving scheme.

The receiving scheme wont fill that form in. That hasnt happened for about a decade. Instead, they have their own form that contains all the necessary info and they send that to the receiving scheme. No firm sends a PSTR certificate. Just send that discharge form to the receiving scheme and let them get on with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure