PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Must start remembering to input receipts into my clearcheckbook straight away, I keep going by what is in the bank account (forgetting that contactless payments don't appear straight away. Announcing total spends of £83.38.
  • Itisme_2
    Itisme_2 Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Recently another £11.17 at Tesco, so now it's £179.10.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,467 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Finally got out for my first shop of the month, but I have to say being snowed in for 5 days has been a bit of a lightbulb moment for me. Okay I could have walked to the end of the street to get a bus to the nearest shop only to find the shelves empty of the fresh things I wanted.

I began to think that grocery shopping for me has become more of a hobby than a necessity, even today while I had my list of all the essentials that I needed for this weeks meal plan and replace supplies, I found myself looking at things thinking “ooh that might be useful/handy/a nice change” – finally got a grip and ended up at the checkout with only the items on my list….phew :cool:

Anyway todays total = £26.74 mostly dairy, fresh & frozen f & V, frozen fish & prawns and a couple of store cupboard items.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    £14.66 in Morries, wanted peanut butter and golden syrup, 1 reduced cake, 1 choc spread, 2 peanut butter 2 marmalade later, plus some fish, potatoes and another store cupboard coffee.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • TooClumsy
    TooClumsy Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Please can I join in for £300 this month please?
    GC Challenge 2018:
    Jan £309.44/£290.72
    Feb £204.81/£290
    March £153.60/£300
  • I’ve managed to spend £97.49 this month already and only have 2 NSD in 5 days. Just shows how excited I get at the beginning of the month when there is money available. Must try to curb my enthusiasm! (To be fair we did have an element of ‘quick, fill the freezer up in case it snows again’)

Main meals are planned and bought up till 17th (almost payday!) and my spend does include £9 on reusable silicone food coverings to replace the cling film that OH keeps using, even though we have loads of plastic storage boxes he could use instead. Difficult trying to cut down on single use plastic when not everyone is on board. Grr!

So relieved the snow is almost gone now. Hope everyone else is able to get out and about.
    LBM 23/09/13 - DFD 08/10/17 :T
  • MrsPear
    MrsPear Posts: 55 Forumite
    Hello again

Well the snow has gone here in London but it has been replaced by very low water pressure and lack of trains! Just what I wanted on a Monday morning a cold dribble shower - although I boiled some to do my hair. Shouldn’t complain as some have no water due to mains burst. At least it wasn’t chilly today with no heating. Pressure back to now in time for dinner.

Anyway back to spends

01/03 £8.09 Co Op
    03/03 £52.87 - Aldi H coming back from birthday / funeral so bought his favourites
    05/03 £1.54 Co Op
    £15.09 M and S - at the hospital with eldest and I let him choose what he wanted for lunch. Plus got myself a sandwich and a tea.

Need to update signature but it is 105.24 :eek: plus I need to get wash powder this week. I need to meal plan!!!!
    Gc challenge £363.53/ 500
    Y Feb 317.28 / 350
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Another nsd today, taking me to 4/5 nsds. And, as a bonus, oh is getting take away for us all, for dd's birthday. Saves me money, as I don't have to provide dinner tonight, so we'll have it tomorrow. Woop woop!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    NSD here too, but tomorrow I shall have to do the monthly non-perishables stock-up, which always looks scary when I add it onto the running total. But we're almost out of washing conditioner (very hard water here) and I can't use white vinegar instead, because we're almost out of that, too!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • In: nothing
    Out: portion of pasta with tomato sauce (work lunch), parsnip pancakes (dinner)
    Bring lunch to work March: 5/13
    NSD March: 6/18

Goal by Sept 2019: £20,100
    So far: £3,749.89
    (tuition £1,920/4,100, cushion £456/1,000, dream £1,300.44/15,000)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure