PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    £31.82 in Morries, £20 on nicotine patches, 2 jars of store cupboard coffee @£4, 2 packs of cheap salt @25p for garden use and 2 small pork hocks, 1 for freezer 1 to go in crockpot for tomorrows lunch.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Total grocery budget (for 2 adults) this month is £100 - we pay £7/week for a local veg box so estimate around £16/week for other groceries. Fortunately we have a lot of staples around (rice, beans, spices) and are vegetarian so that helps keep costs down as well.

So far no spending except for the direct debit for the veg box, so at £7/100.
    Bring lunch to work March: 5/13
    NSD March: 6/18

Goal by Sept 2019: £20,100
    So far: £3,749.89
    (tuition £1,920/4,100, cushion £456/1,000, dream £1,300.44/15,000)
  • Thank you so much ZippyChick for all the years you have put in - I hope all is well in your world. Also thanks to Coxy & Lynne, who also help run the thread and to Elsiepac - it's very much appreciated.
    we pay £7/week for a local veg
    Think I might live near you - going by your name. I can highly recommend Wood Green High Road for veggies - two stalls halfway down in particular. I get tons of veg there for pennies.

No spends for me yet. I want to just spend £7pw on fridge stuff and try and get creative with stores that have been lying around for way too long (£7 to be carried over if not used). Had a bit of a cook-up for the freezer, made bean chilli, sweet potato curry (3 portions of each for freezer), 2 portions swede & carrot mash, broccoli & coconut soup, also made a couple of vegan friendly pizza, spicy coleslaw, bean dip for the fridge. Am going to make some spicy tomato & lentil soup - that should keep me going for now. Need to get creative with some cabbage, courgette and also some aubergines or they will end up binned. (bloody aubergines again !!!). Not sure why I buy them I never know what to do with them. Oh yeah, made a litre of plum vodka, using a huge catering tin of plums out of the pantry, not sure how it will taste. I am trying to create an obstacle course, so I don't drink it before Easter. Have meal planned(ish) for the next week. Anyway, I will see how it goes. Have a lovely rest of w/e everyone.
  • Cottage_Economy
    Cottage_Economy Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 March 2018 at 4:44PM
    Setting my target as £190.

Managed to get back from abroad yesterday after having our flight cancelled Thursday, only to have to do a big shop on the way back as the person looking after our place said there wasn't much food as they had been snowed in all week.

What they meant was "We're low on milk and there is nothing easily available to quickly munch on without preparation."

Got back with big shop to find tons of food still left in cupboard, fridge and freezer.:mad: i didn't feel I could say anything as they had just kept and eye on the animals and MIL all week, although I did buy them a big bottle of spirits and a pressie back as a thank you.

So ended up spending £71.68 on food. Will be freezing some of it.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    £25+ spent at the supermarket in town, on fresh fruit, veg, a sliced loaf to please the fusspots who won't eat home-baked, and a small chicken for tomorrow, not knowing whether the market traders will be there or not. That lot would have cost me half as much on the market, grumble grumble... but needs must & beggars can't be choosers!

I'm a market trader myself & I rarely cancel, but it's really not worth putting yourself, your vehicle & your stock at risk to turn out when the customers almost certainly won't. So I do quite understand when they don't make it. I'll just have to cut some corners off the budget somewhere if I'm going to stay inside it this month!
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ma-ri-ella wrote: »
    border biscuits on offer at 1 and i had a 50p off coupon. really good deals but not essential.

Maybe not essentials but oh so nice, especially the chocolate gingers! :D
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    Need to get creative with some cabbage, courgette and also some aubergines or they will end up binned. (bloody aubergines again !!!). Not sure why I buy them I never know what to do with them.

I'm OK with the cabbage and courgettte but aubergines - yuk, nasty things! :(

Well, have just done the meal plan for the coming week and it should be a NS week :j but the freezer will be taking a hit and we'll definitely need lots of fresh stuff by next weekend. I'm trying to eek out the fresh veg we have (1 large onion, x3 carrots, 1/3 savoy cabbage, 1/2 head of broccoli, 1/2 swede) so I'll not be making soup until the end of the week; by then I'll probably have some bits to use up. Not a problem as we have some tins of soup and cup soups we can have instead. Very low on fresh fruit - just 2 apples left - but have quite a few tins of fruit to use up.

Onwards with Miserly March ...... ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Well, I've done my weekly shop today instead of tomorrow as I'll be quite busy and would rather not have to fit that in too. I spent £21.52 which I'm quite pleased with, especially as I stocked up on the little apple juice cartons (4 weeks' worth) and two weeks of yoghurts, just in case I can't shop next weekend.

If I don't shop until Sunday 11th, then I'm about 50p ahead of my £1pppd target.

Just had a random assortment of stuff for dinner, things from the fridge which needed to be used up.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Spent £4.59 today.
    Me - 2kg potato, 1kg carrots, bananas and courgetti (reduced) £2.11.
    OH - 2kg potatoes, organic milk and giraffe rolls £2.48.

Me - £4.52/£77.50. £72.98left.
    OH - £11.35/£77.50. £66.15 left.
    Total - £15.87/£155. £139.13 left
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    First official spends of the month.. £5.25 on meats and sausage from the local shop on way back from work.. No milk or bread in there at all.. (Luckily we had ample and the crusts to share with the birdies :A )
    Poor shop assistant was looking frazzled from all the grumpy/rude people wanting to know why they've not had a proper milk/bread delivery (errr.. Have you seen the snow!?!) :eek::mad:
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Adding £14.91 to this week, popped to Mr T's for a top up.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family