Universal Job Match - where are all the jobs?

Comments

• andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    jbond wrote: »
    Can't believe I'm saying this, but in fairness to the DF readers, JCs have never really done things like CV advice/writing etc. IN my experience, they are only really there to sign you on, do a quick jobs search check, and then see ya later. HOWEVER, they should always be able to point you in the direction of orgs that CAN provide extra help!

When my OH and I were unemployed last year, both our "job coaches" asked to look at our CV's, and then asked us to change them - both in content and layout, despite the fact that neither of the "job coaches" understood what our jobs entailed.
    We were then sent on an "Employability" course, where we had to pass very basic tests in English, Maths and Computer Skills. At the end of the course, they asked to see our CV's and handed out templates for CV's and covering letters.
    Within fifteen minutes, I had returned mine complete with highlighted spelling, punctuation and grammar errors.
  • jbond
    jbond Posts: 107
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    andygb wrote: »
    When my OH and I were unemployed last year, both our "job coaches" asked to look at our CV's, and then asked us to change them - both in content and layout, despite the fact that neither of the "job coaches" understood what our jobs entailed.
    We were then sent on an "Employability" course, where we had to pass very basic tests in English, Maths and Computer Skills. At the end of the course, they asked to see our CV's and handed out templates for CV's and covering letters.
    Within fifteen minutes, I had returned mine complete with highlighted spelling, punctuation and grammar errors.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't thinking of the 'job coaches', I was thinking of the normal front-line staff that sign off what you've done etc. Things have changed a lot for the worse, in JCs up and down the country, in the last few years.
    Some of those 'job coaches' are full of **** , and from what I've seen, seem to spend more energy on trying to trip ppl up and find clever ways to have people sanctioned, than anything else.
    I certainly wouldn't listen to any of their advice, because quite often, they have their own 'agenda' in mind!
  • andygb
    Forumite
    Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't thinking of the 'job coaches', I was thinking of the normal front-line staff that sign off what you've done etc. Things have changed a lot for the worse, in JCs up and down the country, in the last few years.
    Some of those 'job coaches' are full of **** , and from what I've seen, seem to spend more energy on trying to trip ppl up and find clever ways to have people sanctioned, than anything else.
    I certainly wouldn't listen to any of their advice, because quite often, they have their own 'agenda' in mind!

Yes, they are called job coaches, that is what they and their managers call themselves. They see you every two weeks, they check your job searches on UJM, and then they get you to sign, either with a pen or one of the electric screens. Then every so often they send you on useless courses, which are a complete waste of taxpayer's money.
  • My original point was UJM was hosting lots of jobs from different jobsites which seemed ok as it was aggregating all the sites together. But maybe it had no quality control and got too big. Either way a job platform with no jobs is of no use to anyone! Oh well it only cost £xxx million to build.
  • andygb
    Forumite
    My original point was UJM was hosting lots of jobs from different jobsites which seemed ok as it was aggregating all the sites together. But maybe it had no quality control and got too big. Either way a job platform with no jobs is of no use to anyone! Oh well it only cost £xxx million to build.

When I was using it last year, I couldn't believe the number of spam jobs and companies, where you would click a link, only to be told that the job didn't exist, or you were directed somewhere quite random.
  • jessex1990
    jessex1990 Posts: 137 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2017 at 5:55PM
    Not sure, but I think you might be getting confused? UJM is just really the jobs site (which you can log into and record your job search on anyway).

Nope confirmed today it's definitely being scrapped in favour of a new system. I had a job interview at a UC service centre and they were telling me there is going to be a new system to replace UJM, apparently its going to be easier to use... Apparently. Time will tell whether it is easier or better
  • Midnighter
    Midnighter Posts: 18,277
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 14 May 2018 at 3:31PM
    jessex1990 wrote: »
    Nope confirmed today it's definitely being scrapped in favour of a new system. I had a job interview at a UC service centre and they were telling me there is going to be a new system to replace UJM, apparently its going to be easier to use... Apparently. Time will tell whether it is easier or better
    I've just tried using the new system, Find a Job, and so far it seems to be more of a pain in the a*** than UJM. The ability to record details of your activity from other sites has, as far as I can see, gone. The only plus I can see at the moment is that you don't get a random, and forgettable, number as your login.
    '...luck came to those who left a space for it.' Terry Pratchett
  • jbond
    Forumite
    Midnighter wrote: »
    I've just tried using the new system, Find a Job, and so far it seems to be more of a pain in the a*** than UJM. The ability to record details of your activity from other sites has, as far as I can see, gone. The only plus I can see at the moment is that you don't get a random, and forgettable, number as your login.

Is this the jobsearch.direct.gov.uk site? I'm assuming it is?
    Just looks like the same old, same old, full of duplicated jobs, zero hour contracts etc etc.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 15 May 2018 at 8:10AM
    Is this the jobsearch.direct.gov.uk site? I'm assuming it is?
    Just looks like the same old, same old, full of duplicated jobs, zero hour contracts etc etc.

No It's been replaced by findajob.dwp.gov.uk Hopefully it's just early days, it only started yesterday, but it's making UJM look good. UJM was run by Monster, this is run by Adzuna.
  • jbond
    Forumite
    pmduk wrote: »
    No It's been replaced by findajob.dwp.direct.gov.uk Hopefully it's just early days, it only started yesterday, but it's making UJM look good. UJM was run by Monster, this is run by Adzuna.

Yeah, I actually found the 'new' site last night, I just had a saved link to the old site, which is why I hadn't discovered the new one!
    Apart from a GUI change, there doesn't really look much difference, same old ZHCs and duplicates by the looks of things?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure