Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Having recently switched from Ovo Energy due to the better tariff offered by Avro I was surprised to find that Avro aren't able to access the smart meters installed at my property by Ovo late last year. This means that I have to resort to manual readings and the in-house monitor supplied by Ovo is useless. I had ( perhaps naively ) assumed that smart meters would be compatible between all suppliers but apparently this isn't the case. Strange that with the Energy companies being encouraged to promote smart meter technology there is this obvious flaw in the system.
    I almost switched to Ovo during 2016 but cancelled it on hearing that they were pushing Smart meters. I didn't want one for precisely the reasons which you have given above.
  • arjar
    arjar Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 August 2017 at 6:54PM
    Currently in dispute with Avro. Moved to them in Sept. last year. Noticed in January that they hadn't taken any payments and emailed them. Later that day, without communication, they took a monthly payment much larger than that originally agreed. They then proposed even larger monthly payments, adding up to much more than the original yearly total, again without explanation. I stopped that and raised a formal complaint, but have had no further response. I suspect this will end up with the regulator. So having forgotten to initiate the Direct Debit mandate they then wanted total payment much higher than the original offer, without explanation. Not good.

Update in mid August. Zero communication from Avro, so went to Ofgem, who eventually agreed service had been inadequate and awarded a compensation payment and other remedial actions which Avro were supposed to implement within 28 days. Avro did nothing (again) so Ofgem are are now taking further action. Based on my experience, Avro are serially incompetent, incommunicative and unhelpful. Avoid.
  • AbbieCadabra
    AbbieCadabra Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    started the switch from flow energy (very happy with them but just not competitive pricewise now), expected to complete 10.05.17. confirmation emails of account details/welcome info received straight away.

just one thing to be aware of, when completing form online for switch, bank account name field refuses to accept '&'. it will prevent the form from being completed with an error message of "minimum of 3 characters required"(sic). bit odd & frustrating until i'd sussed what was causing the error.
  • ScoobyZ
    ScoobyZ Posts: 487 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    started the switch from flow energy (very happy with them but just not competitive pricewise now), expected to complete 10.05.17. confirmation emails of account details/welcome info received straight away.

just one thing to be aware of, when completing form online for switch, bank account name field refuses to accept '&'. it will prevent the form from being completed with an error message of "minimum of 3 characters required"(sic). bit odd & frustrating until i'd sussed what was causing the error.

Same here. Moving from flow(connect 6)

Switched so dd comes out on the 1st May expect to be over by the 10th may.
  • I've just switched to Avro and it seems I can save about £364 per year. So far so good. Will keep you updated
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2017 at 9:55AM
    I have been wiith Avro since 1 Sept. so far so good. The only thing so far is that they are a bit slow on their monthly on-line bills. I had to prompt them for the Decmenber bill and still waiting for the March bill.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • I switched to Avro about 8 weeks ago. Got the initial Contract email through and notification of my online account logon a few days later; couldn't log on at that point, thought it was just an initial setup issue.

Waited a few weeks, thought the switch should have gone through by then, was curious why I still couldn't log in. Couldn't phone them as was working away, and anyway they only have Mon-Fri 9-5:30 helpdesk hours (very poor in this day and age).

Emailed them for help logging on, got a reply 5 days later(!!) to tell me I wasn't a customer - they had tried to take direct debit payment which had failed (don't know why, plenty of money in my account), so they dropped the contract with no notification to me.

Very very angry with this appalling level of customer service. Switched again to Toto, they at least have 8am-8pm telephone hours and hardly any more expensive.
  • AbbieCadabra
    AbbieCadabra Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    zbnet2 wrote: »
    I switched to Avro about 8 weeks ago. Got the initial Contract email through and notification of my online account logon a few days later; couldn't log on at that point, thought it was just an initial setup issue.

Waited a few weeks, thought the switch should have gone through by then, was curious why I still couldn't log in. Couldn't phone them as was working away, and anyway they only have Mon-Fri 9-5:30 helpdesk hours (very poor in this day and age).

Emailed them for help logging on, got a reply 5 days later(!!) to tell me I wasn't a customer - they had tried to take direct debit payment which had failed (don't know why, plenty of money in my account), so they dropped the contract with no notification to me.

Very very angry with this appalling level of customer service. Switched again to Toto, they at least have 8am-8pm telephone hours and hardly any more expensive.

not good, think anyone would be annoyed to say the least!

I've been able to log in to my account straight away, it just confirms address etc. & there's a flowchart of progress on the switch - switch date/when dd will be taken/meter reads will be asked for etc.
  • Beware of Avro Energy.

After being a customer for over 1 year I tried to obtain a reduction in my Direct Debit along with a refund for my over payment. They basically said no & insist that my Energy usage next year will increase by 50%; if I didn't like it I could leave & then hung up on me when I asked to speak to someone more Senior; disgusting way to treat their customer.

I am in a new build property, 2 years 2 months old, so Avro Energy know exactly what my usage has been. Why they even think that my energy usage will increase by 50% I just don't know. If it wasn't my money that they have it would be a laughable situation.

I have had to write to their Managing Director & the Ombudsman to get this situation resolved. So whilst it may be cheap their customer service is terrible so beware. If I had my time again I would definitely not go with Avro Energy.
  • I have been with Avro for about six months now.

Switch was smooth.

Price was good. Cheaper than previous supplier.

Direct debit slightly lower than previously.

Switched DD date for me without fuss.

But big issue when asked them to take money from different bank account. Ended up missing a payment as Avro took it from old account despite cancelled DD and were not happy when I had it drawn back by the bank as breach of DD Guarantee.

Didn't give into their threat of fees for non payment, as it was their fault, Andy appear to be back on track again now after a double month payment.

See what next six months hold and then decide if the saving is worth the occasional issues.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback