The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Comments

• piggles1
    piggles1 Posts: 161 Forumite
    as well as my 3/8 ALDs I've had 1/TF AFD :j

I managed it! I got the wine out and left it there for a bit, and then thought I'd have a cranberry juice first, and never bothered with the wine at all and just put it back in the fridge. I did think a few times maybe I'll have some, but the (rather lazy) tidying and listening to the radio programme worked to take my mind of it.

Going to sleep was scary and I kept worrying something awful would go wrong with me. Silly I know but those are the type of thoughts that used to make me drink to keep everything exactly the same as 'normal' and get to sleep.

I'm not out of the woods yet so I plan a mix of ALDs and AFDs when I can do it, otherwise I might go too extreme and set myself up for failing and going backwards.

I am chuffed though. Thanks all for the motivation :) it really has helped me.
  • piggles1
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Sorry you're still feeling grotty, Alex, and that your sleeping hasn't improved. The way I dealt with the legacy of poor sleep patterns was the bring the time I went to bed forward by half an hour at a time, and then to bring the time I switched the light out forward by half an hour at a time. It wasn't instantly successful, but the actual sleep I got after stopping drinking improved because I slept through, and gradually the length of time I slept lengthened. Good luck with it.

My sleeping is still a bit patchy. I woke after one hour, then again at 5am, and at 6.30am, and a couple more times until I got up. I suppose it's just a case of sticking it out.

I don't turn the lamp off though to try and lessen my fears if I wake up, I don't want it pitch black so I have a very small coloured bulb in the lamp. Plus, probably terrible for sleeping but I have the radio on quietly all night :o I've had it like that for years. I'm one of the few people who likes having a streetlight blaring in from outside the window, but it's round the other side in this place.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Oh what a joy! Alex, I've slept with the radio on and an earpiece in for a decade! Lots of people do, apparently, as I found out after I started mentioning it to people. Radio 4 happens to be my favourite, but Radio 4 Extra the the World Service are fine, too. I can't do music at night, it has to be talk radio. I bought OH a radio when he asked for one for Christmas a few years ago, and we regularly discuss what we listened to overnight! He tends to put his on if he wakes up, I go to sleep with the earpiece in and someone burbling at me.
    Better is good enough.
  • piggles1
    Oh what a joy! Alex, I've slept with the radio on and an earpiece in for a decade! Lots of people do, apparently, as I found out after I started mentioning it to people. Radio 4 happens to be my favourite, but Radio 4 Extra the the World Service are fine, too. I can't do music at night, it has to be talk radio. I bought OH a radio when he asked for one for Christmas a few years ago, and we regularly discuss what we listened to overnight! He tends to put his on if he wakes up, I go to sleep with the earpiece in and someone burbling at me.

I'm not alone :D Mine's on radio 4 as well, I can't get radio 4 extra on my radio alarm clock. The alarm is set to radio as well, and it goes for an hour before it turns the radio off. So I can't tell when the alarm time is because the radio is on anyway, but I wake when the radio turns off.

I tried other things including music, but the drones of radio 4/world service are much better for sleeping. The only annoying thing is the argumentative breakfast people in their interviews.
  • gien
    gien Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just a single 100ml glass of wine for me last night (they measured it almost to the drop!). Will check in later for today
    Trying to keep in budget.

• Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    20/25 AFDs today :)
  • debjay
    debjay Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Debjay, that's excellent on an all-inclusive holiday - your halo must be glowing!
    Shaggy I'd like to declare early for 7/21 please.

Thank you. It did feel good to at least have a couple of days AF with all that temptation around. I can't say that I resisted on the food though :o
    10/13 for tonight please.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Sorry you're still feeling grotty, Alex, and that your sleeping hasn't improved. The way I dealt with the legacy of poor sleep patterns was the bring the time I went to bed forward by half an hour at a time, and then to bring the time I switched the light out forward by half an hour at a time. It wasn't instantly successful, but the actual sleep I got after stopping drinking improved because I slept through, and gradually the length of time I slept lengthened. Good luck with it.

21/31 please, Shaggy.
    piggles1 wrote: »
    My sleeping is still a bit patchy. I woke after one hour, then again at 5am, and at 6.30am, and a couple more times until I got up. I suppose it's just a case of sticking it out.

I don't turn the lamp off though to try and lessen my fears if I wake up, I don't want it pitch black so I have a very small coloured bulb in the lamp. Plus, probably terrible for sleeping but I have the radio on quietly all night :o I've had it like that for years. I'm one of the few people who likes having a streetlight blaring in from outside the window, but it's round the other side in this place.

15, please.

Thanks. :)

Unfortunately, had a terrible night's sleep last night again. Not doing my health any good at all. Today has been awful but approaching midnight, I feel more alert now than I have all day. :mad::mad::mad::rotfl:

Not sleeping well has been going on for years. My GP refuses to prescribe anything to help me sleep now. Honestly thinking about trying something from over the counter and doubling the dosage. I've tried music but it wakes Mrs K and I can't deal with headphones.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Morning :hello:

2 more ALDs for Tuesday & Wednesday.

2197e240204f2fd0e298b48ee37462e1.jpg

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 October 2015 at 8:20AM
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Not sleeping well has been going on for years. My GP refuses to prescribe anything to help me sleep now. Honestly thinking about trying something from over the counter and doubling the dosage. I've tried music but it wakes Mrs K and I can't deal with headphones.

Be careful.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2927002/Popular-sleep-remedies-hayfever-pills-DOUBLE-risk-Alzheimer-s.html
    Popular sleep remedies and hayfever pills 'increase risk of Alzheimer's by more than 50%'
    Found a link between dementia and antihistamines Piriton and Benadryl

Link was found with sleep remedy Nytol and anti-depressant Doxepin

Also found with Nytol and Ditropan - treatment for an overactive bladder
    Don't know if you are aware of this.

I tend to take a lot of Piriton for hayfever in the spring and early summer. I can't imagine how much I've had in my life time. I need to watch this more closely in the future.

It's amazing how dangerous over the counter stuff can be. Years ago I was getting an irregular heart rhythm and couldn't work out what was causing it. Turned out to be an over the counter hayfever treatment called Triludan
    Warning over hay fever drug

THE Government's drug control agency is closely monitoring the country's most popular hay fever treatment after reports that it could cause a heart attack if taken with other drugs or by people with damaged livers.The company that makes the drug, Triludan, which is available over the counter has written to all GPs and pharmacists reinforcing its warning advice. The Department of Health has also issued its own public warning to users.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/warning-over-hay-fever-drug-1533587.html
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure