Racial Discrimination - Self Representing at Tribunal

13»

Comments

• xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Ohh my lmao,

Im ALL FOR reporting the racists etc but if thats your best example i wouldnt call that racism, very poor taste but not racist.

RG31 wrote: »
    The reason I was hired was because my line manager is asian, even if he wasnt I think it is far too simplistic to suggest that any company that hires any one of an ethnic minority does not have any discrimination issues. My line manager is also the person who is willing to take the stand for me (this is what he has said at this stage, i am conscious that he could change his mind.) I do not think or suggest the whole company is racist as a large national company this is of ocurse not the case but this does not mean it is not a problem that stretches through several departments and different levels throughout the company.

I have a plethora of evidence through emails appraisals etc and the fact my line manager is willing to take the stand that I was always an excellent performer. When i rasied a grievance I also stated that I had always been an excellent performer and this was never contended.

I dont think we often hear a cry of racism from poor performers at all, and comments such as this are the problem. when I say open racism, i will give you some examples, a senior member of staff when asked to change a process advising that i would have to do a bit more Jumu'ah (muslim word for friday prayers) to get him to do that, I should add I am not muslim, I am of asian dissent and have brown skin but not muslim, i had to explain this to people on at least a weekly basis. Another senior manager coming over to complain during a fire drill that it must have been my team who were responsible for the drill as there must be a suicide bomber amongst us. Again a lot of my team were of some sort of asian dissent.

I am not trying to make quick buck, i have another job and I am in a fortunate position financially.

What i want from this? To teach people the difference between right and wrong and to try and ensure that my kids do not come home to me devastated about how they have been treated because of the colour of there skin.
  • Mika134
    Mika134 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Sadly I feel like this will be a long and lengthy process, and you do not have enough evidence to support your case. Words of another person are not evidence. By all means (if you are certain you are in the right) then warn others about this business in hopes they will change their ways. However I really don't see you getting a penny off them, and it will most likely cost you a lot of time and money to try.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    TBH half the time it depends on the judge you get on the day, so why not?
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Ohh my lmao,

Im ALL FOR reporting the racists etc but if thats your best example i wouldnt call that racism, very poor taste but not racist.

I would call it racism, at least the second example (couldn't make sense of the first). If you are suggesting that people of a certain race are more likely to be suicide bombers then that, to me, is being racist.

So I think in that respect OP has a case. OP, what you should be mindful of is the fact that YOU have been shown the door here. Have any of your "asian" colleagues (sounds like discrimination btw, given an Asian boss took preference to hiring another Asian; just pointing that out!) left? If they haven't, I would seriously be asking the question WHY ME AND NOT THEM? I would be very careful as you may be the sacrificial lamb here and may well be onto a loser when push comes to shove.

Good luck with whatever you choose and, if you go further, I hope that your ex colleagues support you.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I know it's not usual, but don't overlook the fact that costs can sometimes be awarded against the employee making the claim. That's something else you may want to add into the pros and cons of proceeding.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It would be a brave employee who voluntarily agreed to take the stand against their own employer in an ET, confirming endemic racism, especially if they hadn't faced it themselves. And if they HAD faced it themselves, have they raised grievances etc?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Samsung_Note2
    Samsung_Note2 Posts: 774 Forumite
    Les79 wrote: »
    I would call it racism, at least the second example (couldn't make sense of the first). If you are suggesting that people of a certain race are more likely to be suicide bombers then that, to me, is being racist.

So I think in that respect OP has a case. OP, what you should be mindful of is the fact that YOU have been shown the door here. Have any of your "asian" colleagues (sounds like discrimination btw, given an Asian boss took preference to hiring another Asian; just pointing that out!) left? If they haven't, I would seriously be asking the question WHY ME AND NOT THEM? I would be very careful as you may be the sacrificial lamb here and may well be onto a loser when push comes to shove.

Good luck with whatever you choose and, if you go further, I hope that your ex colleagues support you.

Maybe some clever soul could track down the official numbers of suicide bombers and determine the race/colour and religion and then we would all know the answer.

I've got a funny feeling its not going to be white middle class British some how lol

Oh before the bleeding hearts get offended my wife is brown small and SE Asian...just so ya knows..;)
  • naughtyjo
    naughtyjo Posts: 96 Forumite
    Did you raise a grievance through the employer around racial discrimination? Seems odd you!!!8217;re at tribunal stage unless you exhausted internal process. If so what was the outcome
  • RG31
    RG31 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Yeah I raised a grievance and the outcome was that one of the incidents was discriminatory but the others were not although they “fell below expected standards of behaviour” were not racially discriminatory.

I appealed because they gave me no evidence as to why and I got a very similar response but with more detail about the “corrective” actions would take place.

When it went to ACAS a small amount of compensation was offered, I refused this initial offer and countered and they refused and refused any further negotiations too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure