Subway lunch deal no more?

Comments

• NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    dekaspace wrote: »
    I disagree, £3 for a sub, refillable drink and some do student/kids deals so you also get crisps/cookie I get chicken salad with drink and crisps for £3

Compared to McDonalds the cheapest of the other chains where its like £3.50 for a big mac meal and drink (if you have the £1.99 vouchers and drink is about £1.50 on top) cheapest thing on menu for a full meal.

Of course if you compare the most expensive thing on menu, and not on a deal its more expensive than McDonalds but then you have to factor in the dearer McDonalds options too.

£3 is for the most basic 6" sub meal. Very disingenuous to compare this to one of the bigger McDonalds meals, which you have even alluded to yourself.

I could just do the opposite. A basic McDonalds meal probably costs £3, in comparison to a footlong premium sub meal costing close to £8. Every single other fast food chain will offer better value than £8 and will offer a much fuller meal than one that contains a 50p pack of crisps or modest cookie.
  • My local still does the £3 lunches as well so it must be up to individual franchises given what everyone else has said.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The other option is Sub of the Day for £2.49 + a hot drink for 100 Subcard points.

If you go at least once a week, that's a free drink on every other visit.
  • jmatt81
    jmatt81 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    My local Subway has Sub of the Day for £2.49 and a drink with any sub is 70p
  • Don't forget you will need to include £1.50 extra in your budget for a 6 inch subway.

Mainly because you'll pop into greggs to get a pasty on the way back to work.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    £3 is for the most basic 6" sub meal. Very disingenuous to compare this to one of the bigger McDonalds meals, which you have even alluded to yourself.

I could just do the opposite. A basic McDonalds meal probably costs £3, in comparison to a footlong premium sub meal costing close to £8. Every single other fast food chain will offer better value than £8 and will offer a much fuller meal than one that contains a 50p pack of crisps or modest cookie.

You are saying something totally different there, I was comparing cheapest prices, and the fact that Subway was disregarded as it has a smaller drink, which is counteracted by free refills. Just as Mcdonalds has more expensive meals, Subway prices fluctuate you can get places with £5 footlong deals. and vouchers are common similar to how McDonalds as a £1.99 voucher, and I havent't seen a £3 McDonalds meal in years the most basic Extra Value Meal is about £3.50-£3.80

And "basic" is a personal term there, you can get franchises where you can get chicken for that price, with salad and cheese, or a salad bowl for same price with a drink for £3 and a cookie at some too.

I don't think a chicken salad with a drink is a "basic" lunch.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If you are comparing mcdonalds to subway you should really compare the £1.99 wrap of the day that mcdonalds do versus the £2.49 sub of the day. Personally I believe the wrap of the day is better value, more filling and nicer.

I often just have the wrap of the day for lunch and I think it is great value
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I've never liked these "lunchtime deals", £3 is a LOT to spend on a lunch when you consider your options.

"Meal Deals" sucked people into buying things they wouldn't have had except they were sucked into the word "Deal" ... and some notion that "this is what everybody does".

What do you get: bread roll, drink, biscuit/crisps
    That's what many give you ...

You could simply take your own 25p can of drink from home, buy a £1 sandwich at a supermarket and go without the fattening cookie/crisps. £1.75/day saved - now THAT's a deal
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    The deal works best when you choose the most expensive options in the deal. Sure there are £1 sandwiches but there are also £2.70 sandwiches. If you can't tell/don't care about the difference between a £1 ham only and a £2.70 All Day Breakfast triple then you won't benefit from the deal. Ditto for a 25p can of Aldi coke-alike and a £1.75 pre-mixed chilled latte. The supermarkets have caught on to this - both Sainsbury and Tesco have reduced the number of items that were in the Meal Deal compared to when it was launched.

Of course, as a MoneySaver :money:, I usually make my own and drink water - I only buy lunches once or twice a month. The only Subway I've been to in the last 5 years is the one at Doncaster railway station - where the meal deal is the best value available without going out of the station, through the shopping centre and into the town. Which is not practical in the 11 minutes between train connections!
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    I've never liked these "lunchtime deals", £3 is a LOT to spend on a lunch when you consider your options.

Yes and no. Yes, compared to bringing your own lunch from home. But if you look at the broader picture, and consider things like the minimum viable Cost to Serve each customer, it's unlikely that establishments like Subway and McDonalds can get below £3-4 per head and still remain profitable. In that sense, the Supermarkets are unfair lunchtime competition, because their Cost to Serve is much lower.

BTW the new Aldi lunch options have gathered quite a good reputation in the short time they have been available. I think it's a mistake to put them at the back of the store, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure