"Your Windows License Will Expire Soon"

Options

Comments

• datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had a legitimate copy of Windows 7 running on an iMac under VMWare Fusion and did the free upgrade to Windows 10. Being crafty, so I thought, I'd copied the Win 7 container file before the upgrade and put it back afterwards. This gave me both 7 and 10, working properly. This lasted for about 9 months but then Win 7 reported that it was not validated. Entering the original code didn't work. As I'd got used to Win 10 by then and actually prefer it now, no real problem. I can only think that Microsoft's 'phone home' system eventually discovered that 2 of their OS's were running on the same machine under the same registration and acted accordingly. I've removed Win 7. Conclusion, if there's anything dodgy about an installation and it's got an internet connection, they'll catch up with you eventually.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    datostar wrote: »
    Being crafty, so I thought, I'd copied the Win 7 container file before the upgrade and put it back afterwards. This gave me both 7 and 10, working properly.
    Don't know what the Win7 container file is but I've got a Win 7/10 dual boot - with 10 created from 7. The update process didn't/shouldn't have consumed the win 7 license. Both of mine are running fine.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd go back to shop where they fitted the new hard drive, especially if they charged you for Win10.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Don't know what the Win7 container file is but I've got a Win 7/10 dual boot - with 10 created from 7. The update process didn't/shouldn't have consumed the win 7 license. Both of mine are running fine.

A Virtual Machine like VMWare stores the entire OS in a single file (container) on the host machine which is constantly being updated and accessed in use, and can be copied, backed-up etc. as a single entity. I thought I was OK with both, too, but... I only use Windows as and when nowadays for 2 programs for which there is no MacOS equivalent as good so I can live with the loss of 7.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yeah i have a VMware with WIN 7 that now says its not legit.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• fenlander_uk
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    There are as many ways it is worse as there are it is better. Use two network connections in a PC running Mint, assign one of them the correct IP address of your router as the gateway, assign the other one a gateway address with no internet access. See if you can access the internet. Works OK in Windows, doesn't in Linux. You need to remove the gateway entry that has no internet access in one of the network cards which the Network Manager won't let you do without a fight.

Good grief! That should make anyone considering Linux think twice!
    [/irony]
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    henm2 wrote: »
    I would not faff about with Windows. Install instead Linux Mint 18.2 cinnamon edition. A much better operating system.

Oh for heaven's sake!

Yes, in certain respects it may be "better" but the vast majority of people need to use the popular commercial software packages like MS office or Photoshop which aren't available on Linux.

And please don't say Open Office and Gimp! Fine if you don't have to integrate with the rest of the real world but not otherwise as the "compatibility" for anything beyond the basics is hopeless.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    henm2 wrote: »
    I would not faff about with Windows. Install instead Linux Mint 18.2 cinnamon edition. A much better operating system.
    BS
    Linux is no good for the general consumer, this is for specific application processes.
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    Oh for heaven's sake!

Yes, in certain respects it may be "better" but the vast majority of people need to use the popular commercial software packages like MS office or Photoshop which aren't available on Linux.

And please don't say Open Office and Gimp! Fine if you don't have to integrate with the rest of the real world but not otherwise as the "compatibility" for anything beyond the basics is hopeless.

Do they? I'd have thought the vast majority of Windows domestic users don't ever buy commercial software apart from games and possibly anti-virus programs.

There's Linux software available to do everything that the average user needs to do.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    emptybox wrote: »
    Do they? I'd have thought the vast majority of Windows domestic users don't ever buy commercial software apart from games and possibly anti-virus programs.

There's Linux software available to do everything that the average user needs to do.
    a majority of Windows Domestic users would buy commercial software as that is what they are told they need.
    it is only tech savvy users that use alternatives as we know better. it is the same with printer ink. The amount of people i see that moan on the cost of ink and when i tell them just to use compatibles they say ' but it says i must use genuine inks or it will break my printer'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure