Pension Credit?

Options
My OH gets ESA (support group) and has received a letter today from Jobcentreplus, which neither of us really understands.

It says, quote:

"We are writing to you because our records show that you will reach the minimum state pension credit age in November 2017.

Although ESA can continue to be paid until they reach their state pension age, there may be another option available to you. People of minimum state pension credit age or over may be entitled to Pension Credit. However, ESA (Income Based) and pension credit cannot be paid at the same time. You need to decide which one you want to receive.

My OH is due to receive state pension next year.

Has anyone else come across this?

Thanks.
Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Once someone reaches female state pension age they can claim pension credit. This is means tested but doesn't gave the medical assessments. It really is up to you dependent on circumstances.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It may be worth you both visiting your local CAB to get a benefits calculation to assess which may be the best option.

May also be worth looking at PIP eligibility before your OH reaches SPA.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/check-you-are-eligible/
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Once someone reaches female state pension age they can claim pension credit. This is means tested but doesn't gave the medical assessments. It really is up to you dependent on circumstances.

Sorry I wasn't very clear - it is my husband who received the letter, not me. So does the same thing apply?

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    melbury wrote: »
    Sorry I wasn't very clear - it is my husband who received the letter, not me. So does the same thing apply?

You were clear and I was meaning this applies to your husband
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • melbury
    Options

So if you have any savings over a certain amount, then presumably you cannot claim it.

Would they also take my earnings into account, or is it purely my husband's, which is ESA?

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,820 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    melbury wrote: »
    So if you have any savings over a certain amount, then presumably you cannot claim it.

Would they also take my earnings into account, or is it purely my husband's, which is ESA?

I may be wrong but I though both income based ESA and Pension credit took a partners income into account
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes Pension Credit will take the earnings into account as it is means tested. There is no upper limit for savings, but anything other £10k is taken into account at a rate of £1 for every £500 above the £10k
  • melbury
    Options
    anmarj wrote: »
    Yes Pension Credit will take the earnings into account as it is means tested. There is no upper limit for savings, but anything other £10k is taken into account at a rate of £1 for every £500 above the £10k

Oh I see, so they would take my earnings into account then, as well as savings.

Thanks for clarifying that.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family