SSE - Still in cooling off period a month later!

paulfoel
paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I call bullsh*t.....

Initiated switch to SSE a month ago. Realised that nothing has been done so I contacted them.

They've told me I'm still in "cooling off" period and it would take a further 3-4 weeks.

Cooling off period is 14 days isn't it? I've not had any letter from current supplier advising me of my switch.

Looks very much like my request has been missed and only now is it starting. Not impressed.
Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 July 2017 at 3:50PM
    paulfoel wrote: »
    I call bullsh*t.....

Initiated switch to SSE a month ago. Realised that nothing has been done so I contacted them.

They've told me I'm still in "cooling off" period and it would take a further 3-4 weeks.

Cooling off period is 14 days isn't it? I've not had any letter from current supplier advising me of my switch.

Looks very much like my request has been missed and only now is it starting. Not impressed.

The cooling off period is 14 days from the day that the supplier receives your application to switch. Under Standard Licence Conditions, suppliers have 35 days to take over your supply (note this includes the 14 day cooling off period). Many suppliers have signed up to a voluntary 17 day switching code (14 days cooling off plus 3 days).

Five days before your supply transfer date, the gaining supplier will normally ask you for meter readings.

Your current supplier is under no obligation to advise you that a transfer is in progress. The gaining supplier is responsible for managing the switch. The losing supplier has 6 weeks from that date of transfer to issue a Final Bill.

If [STRIKE]35[/STRIKE] 17 days have now elapsed, I would raise a complaint in writing.

From Energy Brokers.co

On Tuesday November 4th (2014) SSE became the first of the ‘Big Six’ Energy Suppliers to introduce 17-day switching. Earlier this year, OFGEM approved supplier’s proposals to cut the time it takes to switch suppliers to 3 days, following a statutory two week ‘cooling-off’ period by the end of the 2014.

Previously, a switch to SSE would take 35 calendar days which consisted of a ‘cooling-off’ period and then 3 weeks to switch. SSE now have in place a ‘cooling-off’ period of 14 days and in this time the customer can decide to move to a different supplier or remain with their current supplier. Following the 14 day period, it will take only 3 days for the switch to go in to effect.
  • paulfoel wrote: »
    I call bullsh*t.....

Might be worth checking with your current supplier. see if they have had a request from SSE to gain your supply. If they haven't might point to what you suspect, or there could be a database mismatch which stalled switch?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure