Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Jet2.com ONLY

Comments

• loukeal
    loukeal Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi,

we boarded jet2 flight from lanzarote to newcastle in march. everything was fine we got on the plane, doors were closed, seatbelts on and then the pilot told us actually we were not going anywhere as there was a problem with portuguese airspace. I complained to JET2 because they knew before we boarded that we were not going anywhere for at least 3 hours. The whole time that we sat on tarmac we were offered 1 small glass of warm water.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    loukeal wrote: »
    Hi,

we boarded jet2 flight from lanzarote to newcastle in march. everything was fine we got on the plane, doors were closed, seatbelts on and then the pilot told us actually we were not going anywhere as there was a problem with portuguese airspace. I complained to JET2 because they knew before we boarded that we were not going anywhere for at least 3 hours. The whole time that we sat on tarmac we were offered 1 small glass of warm water.

Okay, thanks for the further information.

It will all hinge on exactly what the 'problem' with Portuguese air space was. A quick on line search revealed nothing and AESA have said you had a valid claim so this could just be another 'red herring' thrown up by J2 in an effort to put you off.

Try putting your flight details into a couple of online flight checkers such as at Bott online. If they say it's a valid claim you can read up on using a NWNF solicitor, DIY. I don't think J2 have subscribed to an ADR provider.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • loukeal
    computers had gone down in Portugal? i have checked on bott and they say the same as aesa 400 euro per passenger. my point more than anything with jet2 was that they knew we weren't going anywhere for that length of time so why board us?? and not offer us anything to eat! we weren't even allowed to buy anything!
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    computers had gone down in Portugal? i have checked on bott and they say the same as aesa 400 euro per passenger. my point more than anything with jet2 was that they knew we weren't going anywhere for that length of time so why board us?? and not offer us anything to eat! we weren't even allowed to buy anything!

I don't normally defend J2 so this goes against the grain.

It would be impossible to know how long the computers would be down I imagine.

When similar problems happen, all the airlines want to be in a 'ready to go position' as soon as clearance is given. If you were all wandering around the departure lounge you could add another hour to your delay.

So far as not being supplied with food and drinks, that is inexcusable. The regulations state that the airline has a duty of care to supply both after 2 hour of delay. Sat on a hot plane makes this all the more essential. You should have been supplied as required and as per the regs.

Had you been inside the terminal you could buy, and then claim back from J2, unfortunately as you were trapped, so to speak, you had no option.

The best way to complain about this flagrant disregard of both the passengers and the regs, is to contact the CAA who regulate such things.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2017 at 7:38PM
    I would abviously agree with Tyzap, the only thing I would suggest is to issue the NBA - Its an awkward one, because ATC restrictions are a genuine EC - if the NWNF solicitors will take it on - might be worth going down that route. The DIY route although desirable might be tricky....

All the best, with whatever you decide ...
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • loukeal
    the only reason I claimed was on the fact that they failed duty of care?? thanks for all your advice
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    the only reason I claimed was on the fact that they failed duty of care?? thanks for all your advice

Jet2 have a history when it comes to payouts and duty of care, that's why some of us that have beat the system and also some of us have lost still hang around helping others, keep fighting my friend, you'll get there ......
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Sounds just like my own recent complaint. No acknowledgment after 2 letters with all requested information sent to that address. Jet2 have really gone down in my estimation now. Here's to a successful escalation.
  • Breng
    Breng Posts: 3 Newbie
    I have also had same reply from jet2 rejecting flight delay claim for flight from Tenerife

I have also gone to Bott & Co same as previous post and am a little concerned re possible charges if it loses

We will see how it goes - fingers crossed
  • bels333
    bels333 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Hi all and Breng

Just to let you know Bott have emailed me to say they have had a response from Jet2 so will no longer be pursuing my case for the Tenerife flight due to exceptional circumstances. They've also confirmed theres no charge to me for any of this just to put your mind at rest Breng.

Hey ho was worth a try!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport