JSA when quit job - worth it?

My sister has quit her job. She's just had enough and plans to find something else. No drama as she has savings. She says she's not going to sign on for JSA because she won't get any benefit for six months as she's voluntarily unemployed.

My question is whether there are other good reasons to sign on at this stage. I'm wondering about NI contributions, other benefits and the like. She doesn't need help with job search, CV writing etc.

Comments

• xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    As you said, she will be penalised for leaving her job. She can sign on, but if they find out the reason she wont be getting any other benefits anyway.

Not needing help with job search etc doesnt matter, she will still have to go through the motions if she signs on. Its part of the experience :)
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    NICs is the main one. Depending on her adviser she probably wouldn't get all that much hep anyway.

When I signed on the woman asked me to fill out a form relating to my leaving my last job. I think I'm right in saying that they have to process it before you actually get sanctioned, but I'm not sure. On that basis she may well be in a job before they decide she shouldn't be paid anyway!
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • aife
    aife Posts: 220
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I thought it was 13 weeks if you left your job ? (seriously considering quitting mine)
    I would sign on anyway , she doesn't know how long it will take to find a job , and even when she does, some employers , e.g. the NHS , can take months to process appointments . And then you've got a month until you get your first wage
  • DevilsMoJo
    DevilsMoJo Posts: 17 Forumite
    Yeah, anyone quitting their job is penalised but employers aren't penalised for making employees redundant.
  • TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212
    Forumite
    DevilsMoJo wrote: »
    Yeah, anyone quitting their job is penalised but employers aren't penalised for making employees redundant.

This is why I lie. I have quite jobs a couple of times and told the JC that I was made redundant, end of contract or whatever. They never bothered to look into it. JobCenters really need to understand that many jobs are unacceptably crap and therefore, no sanctions should be issued for people who quit in such circumstances.
    Dont know if I'd get away with it nowadays tho, been a few years since I was on JSA.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,925
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    TyreLever wrote: »
    This is why I lie. I have quite jobs a couple of times and told the JC that I was made redundant, end of contract or whatever....
    I had to show my redundancy agreement.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 5,994
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    marlot wrote: »
    Same here, this was in 2010.
  • Won an appeal of a 4 week sanction back in 2013 for leaving a 5 week job as I actually followed the process to do so, even though days later I would get another job. Just out of principle as it was the government that installed the 24 months from 12 months easy enough to get rid of an new employee why shouldn't it work both ways. ;)

I know of an employer that has a habit of stringing out the whole passing probation for as long as possible so they don't really want to rise someone's salary thus breaking their own contractual clause, wonder how the likes of that goes down.

Anyway, Fortunately or un, I now live in a universal credit area not JSA - another thing to be wary off when deciding is it worth it.
  • TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212
    Forumite
    marlot wrote: »

Dont think I ever had a redundancy agreement from any jobs that I did get laid off.

How do the rules work if you quit a long term job you dont like, go to a temp job and then sign on the dole after completing the temp job? Do they still look at it as if you deliberately made yourself redundant?
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    TyreLever wrote: »
    Dont think I ever had a redundancy agreement from any jobs that I did get laid off.

How do the rules work if you quit a long term job you dont like, go to a temp job and then sign on the dole after completing the temp job? Do they still look at it as if you deliberately made yourself redundant?

This used to be the standard way around the rules. Its tighter now. I don't know anyone who's tried this for a while.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts