PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbours ball damaging fence.

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Chloe_G wrote: »
    My new neighbours painted their side of my fence (cost me £1500 three months before they moved in.) They got some odd job men who spraypainted it black (it was pale gold colour) on a November evening in the pouring rain). I saw it next morning - dark woodstain had run through ruined the fence, all run down and ruined the gravel boards. I went round nicely and explained it was my fence and he should have asked and he had damaged my fence.) He had a good old laugh and can't understand my problem! Tea and cake didn't work.

Sorry if this is off the point; I can't stand stress of going down the solicitor route and I am now growing a holly hedge this side and will eventually take down my fence leaving him to put up with holly leaves!
    If it's any consolation, the golden colour wouldn't have stayed long. The panels always fade and need further treatment, although a weathered grey is fine IMO.

You are doing the right thing, preparing for the long term and growing something dense and prickly. Berberis darwinii is faster than holly, as is pyracantha, but holly's nicest, when it gets there.
  • hammy1988
    hammy1988 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    yoshiyella wrote: »
    For those people saying buy a football net - I used to play football with my brother and Dad in our garden. We had a football net. The ball still hit the fence! Apologies I don't have any other suggestions other than the be nice approach.

I don't know your area but the difficulties we had as children was that it was the back garden or nothing as the land around us had those wonderful signs saying "No ball games".

I have one of those delightful 'no ball games allowed' signs on my back garden brick wall... although it actually says 'ball games allowed...' The kids on the estate chisel off the no part everytime its fixed LOL.
    :D
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    The kids might like the fact the ball bounces back off the fence so this might be better than a set of goals

https://www.vidaxl.co.uk/e/8718475907794/adjustable-football-kickback-rebounder-100-x-100-cm?gclid=CN2dn7SjudQCFRUUGwodeFIBbg

Fingers crossed a simple word and some tea / cake may resolve the situation - chances are they don't know your mother sits there on the other side.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Jaglad111
    Jaglad111 Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    I plan on having this problem next year when we move house as my son in football mad. My soloution will be a goal but also erecting a full width net to stop any wayward shots. Priced up, all in about £150, money well spent to give the neighbours and ourselves some peace. You can also buy heavy foam footballs that dont make much noise.
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately not everyone is as considerate a neighbor as you!
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    coup de gras...

Hit by a suet ball?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,745 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Neighbours to the side used to do this, a couple of feet from the back door and kitchen. Used to drive me up the wall. I could never work out how the parents managed to ignore it as their garden was quite small so the sound would have been equally as loud. Didn't seem to bother them though.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • PhilE
    Options
    Well, tea and cake didn't work. Another neighbor has also asked him, which hasn't solved anything

He's an East European gentleman, who likes to do things his own way shall we say. Unfortunately, I've had to be a little verbally assertive.

What I'll be doing is building a brick wall as high as possible. He chopped down a lovely tree in the back of his garden, which was just inside of his garden on the shared border. Possibly for more light, and space.
    I'll be planting a nice big tree on our side of the border, directly next to where his tree used to be. That'll cause him to lose light, but if he'd been polite and accommodating that wouldn't have happened. The tree and wall will help screen him out as much as possible, if my mum moves he'll have a nice big tree to remember me by.

A shame people have to be selfish like this.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 June 2017 at 7:06PM
    Options
    Eucalyptus dalrympleana is hardy, evergreen and grows about 20' in 5 years.

Opera played through a rechargeable bluetooth speaker annoys most people after a while, even if it's not very loud. :)

Then there's....

https://www.compoundsecurity.co.uk/security-equipment/mosquito-mk4-anti-loitering-device?gclid=CLaChtXK2dQCFSa-7QodJmEJoA

.....which your Mum won't hear.

Kinda pricey for MSE! :rotfl:
  • PhilE
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Eucalyptus dalrympleana is hardy, evergreen and grows about 20' in 5 years.

Opera played through a rechargeable bluetooth speaker annoys most people after a while, even if it's not very loud. :)

Then there's....

https://www.compoundsecurity.co.uk/security-equipment/mosquito-mk4-anti-loitering-device?gclid=CLaChtXK2dQCFSa-7QodJmEJoA

.....which your Mum won't hear.

Kinda pricey for MSE! :rotfl:

The kids are pretty young, and there's a toddler and baby next door, I wouldn't use that mosquito device to be honest.

Thanks for the recommendation on the tree though, looks ideal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure