£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• Lucylocks
    Lucylocks Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Huge thanks Warby68 for reminding me to cancel my free amazon prime membership - due for payment 18th June. Another 7.99 in the repayment pot :)
    LBM 28/3/17 £24,971 :eek: 28/6/17 £14,376 42% paid
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Wysiwyg49 wrote: »
    This is me exactly - on month 4 of YNAB and I'm at the depressed stage of thinking every month "I think this month will be sooo much better" - and about 2/3 through start having to transfer money out of the longer term pots to cover unexpected overspends. I cheer myself up by tracking how much money I put forward to the next month, and try to increase that each month. Also by sticking, more or less, to a 50/20/30 ratio for essentials/debts and savings/choices, which I am finding very useful and not too complicated.
    I'm still like this, but I can see that the 'crisis point' every single month comes a little later each time, and I think eventually we will make it to the end of the month with these pots intact! I guess if things weren't heading in the right direction on that front (i.e. I was still raiding them on the 5th every month still), I'd look to change what I was doing with my budget to try to let them build a bit, but I figure I'm making sloooowwwww progress.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Fairly uneventful day today, although annoyingly wasn't able to get fence posts as they had sold out in B&Q - clearly everyone is building fences at the moment! Did manage to get the horizontal planks so I can paint them and get the individual fence panels made though.

to do today:
    1. paint another batch of fence pickets (I know. again). done.
    2. finish my mum's socks. SO NEARLY DONE.
    3. Chisel out some bricks next to the garden path to see how it looks. STILL NOT DONE.
    4. Declutter and tidy the DCs' room. done, hurrah! Looks so much bigger and nicer.
    5. Mend DS1's school trousers. done.
    6. social media for work. done.
    7. order fence spikes etc to pick up on friday. done, but picked them up today since they were available immediately.
    8. plan out DH’s annual leave with him for the rest of the year. not done, again.
    9. pick up a fathers day card (and some card for the DCs to make cards) for DH and my dad from town. whoops. Better remember this tomorrow.
    10. Ask my mum about the chair so I can relist it (didn't sell). Done. Now need to relist.

to do this week:
    1. Make picket fence panels.
    2. Finish digging trench and make gravel channel under fence location.
    3. Go through camping stuff and plan what we need for the summer's camping trips.
    4. Keep focusing on smaller business while main business is quiet. Going ok, although not making me millions,
    5. Ask my mum about the chair and relist it with better description (assuming it doesn't sell by Tue). done.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But did you get the washing up bowl ? ;)
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    warby68 wrote: »
    But did you get the washing up bowl ? ;)
    I did not! I haven't seen The One yet. And it's not a purchase I want to rush into, it is a big commitment after all :rotfl:
  • emmie26
    emmie26 Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :rotfl: this washing up bowl has been built up a lot now, let's hope it lives up to the hype :rotfl:

I'm embarrassed to say I don't even have a washing up bowl I just have on of those cage things in my sink :eek: the shame :o

Total Debt: [STRIKE]£24,359.79[/STRIKE] £16,452
    debt reduced by 32%
    Debt free date: May 2019
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Treadingonplaymobil Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 June 2017 at 5:14AM
    Options
    Week 18: Day 5

OMG how are we around to Thursday again? I'm sure it was only about three days ago I was posting about liking Thursdays as DC3 has three hours at preschool so I usually get lots done. Although I am also wishing time away as I'm feeling relieved we're halfway through the month - feeling quite poor and counting down till payday.

DH is suppose to have his pay rise meeting today after it got cancelled last Friday. Fingers crossed. He's not expecting amazing things, but we want to know the numbers we have to work with, and he's hoping if it's approved today that it might get to payroll in time to appear in June's salary.

to do today:
    1. paint another batch of fence pickets and the batons to join them.
    2. finish my mum's socks.
    3. Chisel out some bricks next to the garden path to see how it looks.
    4. Finish last bit of tidying the DCs' room - amusingly, it is the playmobil that is left to sort. Bets on whether I tread on any? :D
    5. social media for work.
    6. order fence spikes etc to pick up on friday.
    7. plan out DH’s annual leave with him for the rest of the year.
    8. pick up a fathers day card (and some card for the DCs to make cards) for DH and my dad from town.
    9. Plan BBQ on weekend for minimum spends - the other family are bringing pudding so just need main course and drinks. Maybe veggie kebabs to bulk out whatever meat we get.
    10. Get the last of the DCs' bedding out in the sunshine for a few hours after taking the sheets off to wash - I've done one lot each day this week to let them air a bit.

to do this week:
    1. Make picket fence panels.
    2. Finish digging trench and make gravel channel under fence location.
    3. Go through camping stuff and plan what we need for the summer's camping trips.
    4. Keep focusing on smaller business while main business is quiet. Going ok, although not making me millions,
    5. Ask my mum about the chair and relist it with better description (assuming it doesn't sell by Tue). done.
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    TOPM you're just the most gracious and likeable person, your insights about your own spending strike so many chords with me and I'm always glad you go into detail, and you respond to everything without getting defensive.

I hope the payrise is pleasantly surprising!
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    I'm wishing your husband the best of luck on the payrise front. I'm hoping that this is the month of payrises, as my husband just received an amazing payrise!

I'm expecting a grand unveiling of this washing up bowl when it is finally purchased :)

The comment that you made above about committing to things without thinking of the financial implications, just the fun aspect, struck so many chords with me. That's how I have ended up with as busy a year as I have! Although, the latest addition to that (a few months ago we agreed to a festival in Liverpool this summer) I did think long and hard about committing to it and we decided that it was worth it and I'm glad that we did because my BIL and MIL paid for our tickets, so we just needed to fork out for the hotel, spends and 50% share in fuel. All these things add up but I feel like I am making progress towards thinking about the financial implication of things before committing.

I also sympathise with you - it's so hard to change your mindset when you're used to mindlessly spending, you have kids to appease and you still have your life to live. There's no quick fix for your amount of debt and you guys are going to be in it for the long haul, but I think you do realise how important it is for you to get stabilised with a good buffer and then you can work at overpaying the debt and allowing for some nice treats along the way. It's not easy to find that balance and, to be honest, i think it'll just be a work in progress rather than something you just 'get'.

I hope your Thursday is productive!
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    TOPM you're just the most gracious and likeable person, your insights about your own spending strike so many chords with me and I'm always glad you go into detail, and you respond to everything without getting defensive.

I hope the payrise is pleasantly surprising!
    You might not say that if you knew me in real life :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback