Incorrect Reporting on my credit file

[FONT=&quot]I checked my Experian credit file today and was shocked to see CL finance had reported an entry of payments being more than six months late every month for three years between 2007 and 2010.

This was related to two debts that had been transferred to them by Debenhams and B&Q.

Neither debt was ever in default. I kept up all minimum monthly payments as per my original credit agreement and both were settled in full. Payments were taken by direct debit from my bank account and always on time. The only reason the accounts were given to CL finance is because I was made redundant, went to CAB for advice and they wrote to all my creditors Informing them of a change in circumstances. As a result Debenhams and BQ closed my account and transferred the balance to CL finance. During this time CL Finance sent me regular statements but never mentioned any payments as being late.

Despite the debts being settled and never being late with payments, because of these entries on my credit file ( which will remain on my file for six years) I am having to pay high Interest rates and having trouble getting credit even though I have a Job and regular income now. Is there any way I can get this corrected on my credit file?[/FONT]

Comments

• Atidi
    Atidi Posts: 943 Forumite
    John_Bains wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]I checked my Experian credit file today and was shocked to see CL finance had reported an entry of payments being more than six months late every month for three years between 2007 and 2010.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This was related to two debts that had been transferred to them by Debenhams and B&Q.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Neither debt was ever in default. I kept up all minimum monthly payments as per my original credit agreement and both were settled in full. Payments were taken by direct debit from my bank account and always on time. The only reason the accounts were given to CL finance is because I was made redundant, went to CAB for advice and they wrote to all my creditors Informing them of a change in circumstances. As a result Debenhams and BQ closed my account and transferred the balance to CL finance. During this time CL Finance sent me regular statements but never mentioned any payments as being late.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Despite the debts being settled and never being late with payments, because of these entries on my credit file ( which will remain on my file for six years) I am having to pay high Interest rates and having trouble getting credit even though I have a Job and regular income now. Is there any way I can get this corrected on my credit file?[/FONT]

Why did you contact the CAB when you were made redundant?

Why did the CAB think it appropriate to write to all your creditors, and in particular Debenhams & B&Q, if you were paying the loans back in accordance with your agreement?

It doesn't make any sense to me that a creditor would close your account early, and pass your account to a DCA, just because you were made redundant.

I suggest you go back to the CAB that originally dealt with your query and seek clarification and further advice :)
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi John Bains, thank you for your query regarding incorrect credit reference
    It is unclear from your post if the CAB negotiated lower repayments on your behalf when you were made redundant and if they did so and you made a payment which was lower than the contractual mimumum payment then even if it was agreed by the creditor or collector you would still get a mark put on your credit reference as you were not making the contractual payment and the CAB should have advised you that negotiating with your creditors could have a detrimental effect on your credit reference. I would suggest that if this is not the case that you seek clarification from the CAB you went to before as to why they wrote to your creditors.
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure