Isolate leaking shower?

Options
Hi!

We have a concealed shower in our en-suite and for a while now it has been dripping. There is a leak somewhere behind the tiles and it has been going on for maybe a year or two. Water has been slowly coming through the plasterboard behind the shower, seeping through the tile and coming through the ceiling of the downstairs toilet (this is what we first noticed). It's also started going into the carpet in the entrance to the en-suite. The wet patch in the carpet has been growing bigger the past few days.

We've got onto our insurance company about the leak and we're in the process of trying to get bathroom fitters out to give us quotes (easier said than done!) but I'd really like to stop the constant drip from the shower before things get much worse. Is it likely that there's a valve somewhere to stop the flow of water to the shower to prevent things getting any worse?

Really want to get this sorted ASAP as I'm getting very stressed about it. :(

Thanks.
*removed by forumteam - please do not advertise in signatures*

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it likely that there's a valve somewhere to stop the flow of water to the shower to prevent things getting any worse?
    Yes, very likely there will be an isolation valve. Try following the pipework from the shower.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If its a shower over a bath iso valve probably under the bath, if its a shower base iso will be somewhere under the floor if pipework runs up, or in the loft (or ceiling) if pipework runs down.

This kind of leak can often be fixed by removing the shower valve - sometimes a tile or two has to come off as well, but not always.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine has isolation taps in the attic, hot and cold about 6ft apart and the hot buried under the insulation, took me ages to find it.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd be surprised if the insurance company will cover something that should have been dealt with immediately it was noticed. Check your policy. It could be excluded as coming under the heading of maintenance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure