Unfairly recorded at CUE for an insurance claim that was unaware had been settled

I will try and keep this brief as need advice as to whom I should escalate my complaint with Quote Me Happy too. In a nutshell I have been registered with the CUE (Claims And Underwriting Exchange) as a failure to report a previous accident in a new insurance application. Even though I was never informed of such a claim against my insurance was being processed or settled. I have had it agreed by them in writing they mishandled the claim / should have been more pro-active on their part. They admitted that the wrong department settled the claim and did not inform another. They have offered financial compensation for this but wont do anything to remove my name from the CUE list.

Moreover, as a web based operation I am able to show that no record of such an accident or that a claim existed on my login screen during, when I printed off my PNC certificate and even after I had left. Which in my view exacerbates the situation. Trying to find a number to contact and discuss this issue is equally difficult.

Had I seen such a record or received the communications I would have automatically advised the new insurer. I have a good insurance history so need to withhold or tell lies.

I will detail the events below. But feel that this is wrong and would appreciate advice as to whom I should now go to to get this issue resolved.

The accident was on 14th November 2018 involving my wife in a local car park of a supermarket when she was leaving her parking bay. The other party alleged we hit them. But to be fair we don't know if they hit us. As both vehicles were parking. My wife reported the incident by phone to our insurer on the same day.

From then till now, I have received no correspondence or communication about the matter, nor was anything recorded on my personal insurance records held under the cars name on their website.

Then in January 2019, I attained a better renewal quote from another insurer and moved. Still no communication about the November incident.

Then the new insurer told me that CUE had contacted me and I had failed to declare a recent accident and my insurance now was an additional £301.54.

I then made some calls and Quote Me Happy admitted that there "Credit Hire Team" had paid out £2550 to the other party, on a without prejudice basis. This was unusual as this was normally handled by the "Settlement" team's and thus not the others remit to close/resolve. They then stated the onus was with me as I had the accident and should follow up the issue. I explained that they had never communicated such a claim against me and their own records on their website login stated there was no claim, previous or current. This fell on deaf ears.

I submitted it in writing as formal complaint.

• Received no communications be that letter or email.
  • There is no record on my quote me happy account of a claim
  • My wife has never been given the opportunity to confirm her position in the matter or sign a declaration.
  • I have been unfairly listed as being fraudulent on the CUE records
  • Have been charged an additional £301.54 by my new insurer.
  • I am also concerned this may effect my CRB check which is crucial in my job

They responded in writing on 28 Jan 2019 - stating that they should have been more "pro active in contacting me" and offered £75 compensation for their failure of service. But stated that my records were correctly recorded with CUE.

I am furious at how I have been put in this position. I want my records removed from CUE. My extra insurance costs refunded by QMH and now feel the £75 offer is unsatisfactory at least. And that I won't face increased premium quotes in the future.

Where do I go next ? Who do I bring this too get resolved satisfactorily ? What experienced advice can people provide me with this.

Thanks in advance

As anyone esle found themselves wrongly listed at CUE 11 votes

Yes
0% 0 votes
No
100% 11 votes

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 12 June 2019 at 10:05PM
    The accident was on 14th November 2018 involving my wife in a local car park of a supermarket when she was leaving her parking bay. The other party alleged we hit them. But to be fair we don't know if they hit us. As both vehicles were parking. My wife reported the incident by phone to our insurer on the same day.

So when you/her applied for insurance/renewal and asked about any accidents in the last 5 years you/her answered no? Assuming your the main policy and your wife was the named driver

Do you think that was correct despite her CALLING the insurance company of the accident.

Did you/her not follow the accident up? Likely 50/50

You also have to take some responsibility as well in not following up the accident to clarify and seeing if needed declaring and to what extent as either fault or non fault.

They could easily have played back the recording of your wife declaring the accident.

You got some money off them for not informing of settling which was a bonus, but in all honesty the T+C will likely have something along the lines of you agreeing to the insurer to settle any claims as they see fit

As always if your not happy with the insurer you make a complaint. Then if you are not happy with theIR reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • alfie1950
    alfie1950 Posts: 166 Forumite
    So did you inform your new insurer that you had an "incident" within the last five years. If not you must bear some responsibility for this happening?
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,808 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 June 2019 at 11:44AM
    alfie1950 wrote: »
    So did you inform your new insurer that you had an "incident" within the last five years. If not you must bear some responsibility for this happening?

Being harsh but I disagree with some responsibility

I imagine the answer is no and if so all the rest of the subsequent story is irrelevant
    Simple view
    Did you report an incident to your old insurers ? yes/no
    Did you declare this incident to the new insurers? yes/no

I don't think you need to worry about CRB checks which is good news
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    CUE is just a database of accidents / claims... whether you reported it or not, and whether you are at fault or not it would still be recorded on the database by both insurers. The insurers can't remove the claim from the database, because the accident/claim has happened and it wouldn't be factually correct otherwise.

In terms of your policy... you had an accident... so you need to declare it, whether there was a claim or not.
  • RupH19
    RupH19 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Unfortunately as alluded to by others you reported an 'incident' on your policy so you were duty bound to confirm that when applying for a new policy at renewal. It is an unfortunate set of circumstances in that your prior insurers did not advise you of the claim they received but you should have included it in your quote details.
    CUE is just the claims underwriting exchange database that all insurers use to log all claims on so when policies are taken out they can check the accuracy of the details provided by the prospective new policyholder on their quote; in your case they have done so and found the claim.
    You only other recourse with your prior insurers is to discuss whether you would have been at fault for the incident and have you lost the opportunity to defend the claim made against you. It is a moot point in some respects as you would still needed to advise your new Insurers at quote stage that you had been involved in an incident.
    Just as a foot note, dont worry to much about CUE, all incidents are logged on there.
    Hope that helps.
  • Thanks for the responses. It was an honest mistake when I didn't mention the November incident. Surely the Quote Me Happy website should have held information on it to remind me that there was the incident and should they have not communicated the fact they have settled a claim. Neither of which happened.
  • I was hit by a uninsured stolen car that was being chased by the police. My car was written off and my wife and I both suffered injuries. I made a claim with my insurance.

When I changed my insurance I stated that I had made a claim which was not my fault, but my old insurer had put on the cue database that it was my fault, putting my new insurance up by £200.

When I contacted my old insurance they said the reason it was my fault was because they didn't get no money back off my car because the stolen car was insured.

Is there any way I can get this changed and removed from the database?

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    chrisnct said:
    I was hit by a uninsured stolen car that was being chased by the police. My car was written off and my wife and I both suffered injuries. I made a claim with my insurance.

When I changed my insurance I stated that I had made a claim which was not my fault, but my old insurer had put on the cue database that it was my fault, putting my new insurance up by £200.

When I contacted my old insurance they said the reason it was my fault was because they didn't get no money back off my car because the stolen car was insured.

If your old Insurers can get their money back then it be recorded as a non fault accident, failing that it will remain showing as a fault accident
  • chrisnct said:
    I was hit by a uninsured stolen car that was being chased by the police. My car was written off and my wife and I both suffered injuries. I made a claim with my insurance.

Sue the uninsured driver to recover the full cost. Apparently your insurance decided it wasn't worth doing, maybe because that person has no money.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    why didnt they take action against the insured, or why not raise it with MIB
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback