PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

i have to share this recipe - savoury crumble

Options
mamabear09
mamabear09 Posts: 73 Forumite
edited 7 April 2009 at 8:42PM in Old style MoneySaving
ive just gone through a really old recibe magazine and found a beef crumble! never thought of a savoury crumble before. it tastes great and best of all...... its cheap.:j

Beef crumble-
Base= 250g minced beef
generous handfull of lentils
2 diced carrots
3 diced onions
2 tbsp gravy granules
a good handfull of peas
hot water
Topping= box of stuffing
3 tbsps flour
1 tbsp butter
enough water to make crumbs
Instructions-
  1. Brown mince and onions until cooked through
  2. Add remaining vegetables, not the lentils, until starting to get tender
  3. Add gravy granules and still until well mixed off the heat
  4. Gradually add water until desired consistency. Add lentils and simmer for 10 minutes.
  5. While simmering rub all the crumble ingredients together, not including the water
  6. Add small amount of water mixing as you go until you get a nice mix of small and large crumbs.
  7. Pour the base into a ovenproof bowl and top with the crumble
  8. Bake at 190 degrees c for about 40 minutes or until crumble is golden and cooked
You can add other vegetables and vary the type of stuffing and mince.Thanks for letting me share

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds yummy.

We used to have a savoury crumble at school. I wonder what that was made of.? :confused:
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • mamabear09
    Options
    who knows. my kids loved it too and it can be frozen. its verry filling.
  • Chuzzle
    Chuzzle Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oooh have just printed this off and gonna try it for t tonite....sounds yum yum yum!!
    Banana Lovers
    Buy your bananas in bunches of 5 on Sunday. Then arrange them in order of ripeness and write a day of the week on each banana in felt pen, Monday on the ripest, Friday on the greenest to save time making those decisions on a hectic weekday morning
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Rikki wrote: »
    Sounds yummy.

We used to have a savoury crumble at school. I wonder what that was made of.? :confused:

Just check in with ex school cook and she seems to remember it being a basic crumble mix without the sugar, sometimes with grated cheese added or a few spices.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • mamabear09
    Options
    forgot to mention 4 very hungry people or 6 not overly hugry. it also tastes nice on sarnies the next day
  • mamabear09
    Options
    let me know how it goes ruthibe73.
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds delicious, thank you, have printed off and will try this soon
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    I did a savoury, vegetarian crumble last night. It was completely DISGUSTING. The topping had flour, butter, nuts and cheese. I thought it would be ok but it wasn't. We threw it in the bin, b*gger the waste, and had toasted cheese sandwiches instead.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All I would need is the carrot and the box of stuffing. I will definately be giving this one a go.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    Options
    what lentils? red?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business