Cat urine smell on pure wool rug

Can anybody suggest a perfect remedy to remove the smell of (neutered) cat pee from a pure wool rug?

For some reason my cat who has a litter tray & access to outside has twice decided to pee on my relatively new woolen rug. The first time I quickly tried to sponge it off & wash the area with a solution of
Stardrops & disenfectant. The second time it happened I decided to steam the affected area with my steamer, which is similar to a Polti & then sprayed the area with disenfectant & put the rug outside for the day to give it a good airing & allow it to dry.

However, the rug is now giving off a nasty urine smell, especially on the hessian backing of the rug so I'm desperately seeking a solution.
The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.

Comments

• ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,546
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You need to use an enzyme based cleaner - pet stores will sell them.

If your cat has access to a litter box, make sure you have (number of cats)+1 litter boxes as cats often like to go between them and, should the opportunity arise (like it has here) often new items seem like a toilet.
  • pineneedles
    pineneedles Posts: 45 Forumite
    I managed to get cat pee out of a carpet with a bio washing powder, dissolved in water, really soaked that into the carpet, then dried with an old towel as much as possible, then let air dry. Took a couple of repeats and then some more airing but smell is now not detectible even when you sniff the carpet up close.

Could be the carpet had been treated with something the cat didn't like the smell off and was trying to cover that up with his/her own smell?
  • JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    baking soda overnight then hoover?
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Simple Solution works well on dog wee smells, as well as various stains. I buy the 4 litre bottles from Amazon and decant into 1 litre spray bottles, so application is more controlled.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure