NEBOSH General Cetificate

I'm going to be sent by my company to do this later this year in two week segments as I understand. Is it a tough qualification to gain? Should I do any preparatory study before going on the course? Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• What level?
  • Ader1
    Ader1 Posts: 420 Forumite
    National General Certificate. I think it's something like a 2 week course intensive study. I believe the next level is the diploma.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    When I did the qualification the class was pretty diverse, from shop workers, maintenance guys, industrial chemists, some struggled some sailed through it, a couple commented their degree was easier.

I would suggest your biggest issue will be time management, also read the questions again before attempting to answer.

I understand the course is somewhat easier now than in times past but whether that's a good thing or not, I'm not sure.

There a few individuals posting on here that can offer further thoughts.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have done this course. If you are ok with studying and applying yourself, the it will be ok.

But I did my as day release for 10 weeks so had a week between each attendance to do homework.

Two weeks is quite intensive.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ohreally wrote: »
    I understand the course is somewhat easier now than in times past but whether that's a good thing or not, I'm not sure.
    If it is easier now than previously, I did mine in 1994, it should be a doddle ;)
  • Ader1
    OK thanks. But is it possible to do any prep work?
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ader1 wrote: »
    OK thanks. But is it possible to do any prep work?

Get any basic Health and Safety at work book and read up.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I sat it about five years ago.

Week 1 - classroom
    Week 2 - home study
    Week 3 - classroom
    Week 4 - homestudy
    Week 5 - 2 days classroom revision, 1 day exams

I didn't do any study in preparation, although through my job I did already have a practical understanding ofthe basic principles of H&S. I'm not academic, and not used to studying, and I found it hard work. The weeks of home study were absolutely essential to do further reading and make sure I had really absorbed what I had been taught.

It paid off though as I managed (somehow!) to get a Distinction. Some of the more experienced H&S folk didn't do so well, I think predominantly because they went into the course thinking they knew it all already.

If I were doing it again, I still wouldn't do any pre-learning - I'd wait to be guided by the tutor and then work my little socks off for the duration.

Good luck.
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    ohreally wrote: »

I would suggest your biggest issue will be time management, also read the questions again before attempting to answer.

This ^^^^

I was a while ago since I did mine and if you have had no H&S experience, it may be challenging.

The two week course was intensive, but the plus side of that was that everything was relatively fresh in the mind when it came to the exams.

We were in a group of around 15, but when the exam came around, the room was very full - due to the resits!

As ohreally pointed out - READ the question thoroughly - and I would also suggest that once you are into your course, obtain some examiners reports from previous exams. I found these invaluable.

I had to pay for mine, but I believe you can download them for free nowadays.

Reading these reports will give you some insight into exactly what is required from the question - VERY IMPORTANT - and also the errors that others have made due to lack of knowledge, misinterpreting the question or failing to revise.

Good luck !
  • Ader1
    My first week of training is a week away and I've been going through what's expected in the NGC1 exam. I'm finding it pretty tough going. So much to learn. I was told today that the pass rate is 33%! Anybody know it that's true? Hopefully, I'll feel better once I've don't the course.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure