Disclosing a disability to new employers? (working in care)

Hi All

A bit of background: I am a 24 year old female with Asperger's syndrome, dyspraxia, anxiety and M.E/CFS as well as a few other health issues. I am qualified in both child care and health and social care. For the past two years I worked in a childcare setting and right at the start I disclosed my disabilities and was very honest as far as how they affected me. The managers were fine with it and for a while it was a wonderful place to work.

Then some of the staff started leaving and new staff came in. These same staff made it clear that they thought they were better than so many people at the setting and began causing trouble, to the point where senior staff who'd been there for many years left the setting and are debating whether or not they want to go back into childcare.

The setting became a very toxic place to work and these same troublemakers turned their attention to me and started hassling me. But when I complained to the managers about it (as it got really bad and they were lying about me, even when I could disprove what they were saying about me with witness accounts). The managers turned the whole thing back on me, took the side of the trouble makers and said it was down to me having asperger's I wasn't fitting in.

Due to the trouble makers then starting to make stuff up about me relating to my working practice (trying to say I was responsible for stuff they did even though they were seen by more than one person displaying these moments of bad practice) and the managers being all too eager to get rid of me, I decided to quit on my own terms. This was a few weeks ago and have been job hunting since.

I am currently at college studying my level 4 in health and social care (doing a level 4/5 in childcare from September) and told my tutor what happened. Without my knowledge, the tutor took the setting to task about it, though am grateful for her trying to help.

The managers at the setting literally told her that they had no idea why I resigned and had not clue what I was referring to and suggested maybe they should talk to me about whether or not I should remain in the care industry. As it turns out the setting has a bad reputation with the college and that is why they have not placed any work experience students with them for years, though I didn't appreciate them basically lying and putting it on me.

My main question is this, as I have a few interviews lined up this week and with this recent experience fresh in my mind, do I disclose my Asperger's? I loved working in childcare, the children and families and some of the staff were amazing and I learned a lot from them in my time there but I just don't want to keep setting myself up for similar situations. Any constructive advice (no flames please!) would be appreciated. :)
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing...we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future"

Phoenix Wright in Ace Attorney Rise from the Ashes

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    not all employers do this, but our application form invites you to submit a sealed envelope with details of any special requirements you might have - I can`t remember the exact wording. We don`t open these until after shortlisting.

Now whether that`s the best thing for you to do isn`t so clear. You can describe your asperger`s as a strength and that may be a better way to go.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    I would agree with Savvy Sue. If your conditions were completely and utterly invisible, and had no obvious impact or bearing on your day to day life, then I'd say that it was up to you whether you disclosed them. But given just the few you have listed, that would be impossible. So when you get a job, and then later need reasonable adjustments and so disclose your list of conditions, how do you think that would make the employer view you? Even the most sympathetic employer is going to feel seriously let down by the fact that you told them nothing.

As someone with a disability myself, I'm not unconscious of the fact that some people, and some employers, will discriminate given that information being available. If they do, why would you want to work for them? Because they won't be good employers when you do have to admit all - they don't suddenly have a Road to Damascus experience once they find out you have a disability!

And I seriously doubt that your disability was the cause of your problems anyway. You describe this former employment as having had a negative impact on a lot of people. They couldn't all have disabilities. The fact is that bullies pick on whatever excuse they can find. In your case the disability might have been an easy choice, but they'd have found something else if that hasn't been there.

Being disabled has advantages. You are in a better position to understand the experiences of some of the people you work with. You have different perspectives on life. And you can be a positive role model. We live in a society that still largely considers disability as an impediment to having a full and constructive role in life. You are able to show that disability doesn't stop you achieving things and working.
  • Feyfangirl
    Feyfangirl Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    sangie595 wrote: »
    I would agree with Savvy Sue. If your conditions were completely and utterly invisible, and had no obvious impact or bearing on your day to day life, then I'd say that it was up to you whether you disclosed them. But given just the few you have listed, that would be impossible. So when you get a job, and then later need reasonable adjustments and so disclose your list of conditions, how do you think that would make the employer view you? Even the most sympathetic employer is going to feel seriously let down by the fact that you told them nothing.

As someone with a disability myself, I'm not unconscious of the fact that some people, and some employers, will discriminate given that information being available. If they do, why would you want to work for them? Because they won't be good employers when you do have to admit all - they don't suddenly have a Road to Damascus experience once they find out you have a disability!

And I seriously doubt that your disability was the cause of your problems anyway. You describe this former employment as having had a negative impact on a lot of people. They couldn't all have disabilities. The fact is that bullies pick on whatever excuse they can find. In your case the disability might have been an easy choice, but they'd have found something else if that hasn't been there.

Being disabled has advantages. You are in a better position to understand the experiences of some of the people you work with. You have different perspectives on life. And you can be a positive role model. We live in a society that still largely considers disability as an impediment to having a full and constructive role in life. You are able to show that disability doesn't stop you achieving things and working.

Thank you for both your replies, they are very much appreciated. I must admit now I have had time to reflect I know I can use this experience for the better. I will see how tomorrow's interview goes and will mention it then, if there is not an opportunity for me to do so will send them an email afterwards to explain so they've got a full picture. I know what you mean about society's perception of disabilities, it does frustrate me though when you try your hardest to work and to contribute to society and ask for a little bit of help and still people view you as a drain on resources -_- (not thinking of me completely, just someone else I know)
    "No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing...we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future"

Phoenix Wright in Ace Attorney Rise from the Ashes
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    How come in all the job applications which I mentioned my dyslexia I never got passed the application form stage. Yet on those jobs where I didn't disclose it, I got interviews or assessment days. Jobs were similar.

Now I'm worried about how I disclose it now as started to look for a new job
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    As you have Asperger's, could you make the most of some of the traits (if they apply to you)? For example, a lot of people with Asperger's show attention to detail. This can be an advantage to employers. If you have a particluar interest, is it something that you can share with the children? If you have ever learned Makaton, that can be helpful in a nursery setting - my younger son has Asperger's, and has learned Makaton through having a disabled brother and a couple of friends with disabilities.

As has already been said, you can show that people with a disability can be a good role model.

Good luck with your interviews x
  • sangie595
    How come in all the job applications which I mentioned my dyslexia I never got passed the application form stage. Yet on those jobs where I didn't disclose it, I got interviews or assessment days. Jobs were similar.

Now I'm worried about how I disclose it now as started to look for a new job
    Maybe the how and why you "mention" it? I wouldn't suggest mentioning a disability in passing - you need to make reference to it if it is relevant. What kind of roles - if there is a lot of admin, and you just casually mention that you are dyslexic, people may think you can't do the job they need doing.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Maybe the how and why you "mention" it? I wouldn't suggest mentioning a disability in passing - you need to make reference to it if it is relevant. What kind of roles - if there is a lot of admin, and you just casually mention that you are dyslexic, people may think you can't do the job they need doing.

But I'm worried if when I do get a job, I then have to mention my dyslexia The new employer may say "why didn't you mention this before?" and perhaps getting dismissed for lying.
  • sangie595
    But I'm worried if when I do get a job, I then have to mention my dyslexia The new employer may say "why didn't you mention this before?" and perhaps getting dismissed for lying.
    It isn't very fair to hijack someone else's thread, but you cannot be dismissed for lying if you don't lie! If you want to discuss your issues further, then you really should start a new thread.
  • Bit of a strange opening post - You mention that an influx of new workers are responsible for disrupting your work place then ask us to decide whether this should affect you declaring your disabilityin a new job?????????????? Suggests that deep down you are really attributing all this hoooooo haaaaa to yourself. - That aside

You should declare a disability because you could be dismissed if it 'crops up' later, employers may well give you the job BECAUSE of your disability if it is under-represented in the workforce. Employers do have to make 'reasonable adjustment' for disabilities.
    If I ruled the world.......
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Bit of a strange opening post - You mention that an influx of new workers are responsible for disrupting your work place then ask us to decide whether this should affect you declaring your disabilityin a new job?????????????? Suggests that deep down you are really attributing all this hoooooo haaaaa to yourself. - That aside

You should declare a disability because you could be dismissed if it 'crops up' later, employers may well give you the job BECAUSE of your disability if it is under-represented in the workforce. Employers do have to make 'reasonable adjustment' for disabilities.

How could you be dismissed? So long as you don't tell a lie if asked directly there's no grounds for dismissal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure