NST June 2018 A JUNE ODESSEY (Staycation)

Options

Comments

• mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    Count me in please, mothernerd - I am aiming for June to be a month of re-focus :) - ready for my (personal) half year review/ round-up (although nothing will stop me from ironing! - I actually use it as a form of down time - mindlessly working my way through a pile of crumpled things and turning them into crisply ironed items whilst watching something on catch up tv (often from the US and crime related :D) It soothes my soul :D)

Fine if you are using it as therapy, find something else to give up or find an easier way to tackle it. Also, I think at least 2 of your sons are at the age where you should teach them how to iron a shirt - when mine were growing up I was constantly told 'M's mum does this for him' (ironing clothes and taking them upstairs and putting them all away - for a 15 yo?). I maintained that my job was to teach them to do things for themselves in preparation for when they went to uni.

Me please mothernerd... I will go for the soft target and be kind to myself. I already feel incredibly guilty about getting into debt even though I'm dealing with a separation and divorce...
    but I will endeavour to stay on top of everything.

We are giving up feeling guilty. There are enough people around who will think it their business to criticise. Don't be one of them. You dealt with a difficult situation for a very long time and the break wasn't at your instigation. Now you have a set of new challenges. You are doing the very best you can for you and your family. The short term debt is something you can't help, you have plans to get it back under control. Use your available energy on that.

Get a piece of paper, write a heading of things we are ditching and write guilt on it.

I do understand. In my early twenties I did a lot of voluntary work. However hard I worked (every Saturday morning, meetings most evenings in addition to low paid advice work in the daytime), I was haunted by the bit in prayers that says 'things we have left undone'. Now I write in my notebooks 'You can't save the whole world'. I do what I can, quietly and anonymously.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • LavenderBee
    LavenderBee Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    Please can I join in? Though at some point in June I will be having my baby. Giving up guilt is a perfect theme for the month for me; it's just going to be one to experience and get to the end of!
  • Littleskintdragon84
    Options
    Can you put me down please, I will be going for 10 nsds, which would be a great achievement for me! I have loads of things to do in June, including 3 running races, one half marathon and two 10k's.

Money will be tight this month, and I really dont want to dip into savings, so eating out of the cupboard and lunch to work is a must!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mothernerd wrote: »

We are giving up feeling guilty. There are enough people around who will think it their business to criticise. Don't be one of them. You dealt with a difficult situation for a very long time and the break wasn't at your instigation. Now you have a set of new challenges. You are doing the very best you can for you and your family. The short term debt is something you can't help, you have plans to get it back under control. Use your available energy on that.

Get a piece of paper, write a heading of things we are ditching and write guilt on it.

:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T Well said!!
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can I join, please. I missed almost all of April and all of May because I was on holiday. Whilst I was away I was thinking a lot about aspects of my life that I would like to change and this is an ideal challenge.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Dia_Pita
    Dia_Pita Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Please can I join in, we retired nearly 2 years ago and are living on our savings. These have to last us until we reach retirement age so we will then have our private and state pensions. So we now need to check out spending habits.

We will go for the soft option of 10 NSD's, this will be difficult for us as we help our children with looking after the grandchildren. I always seem to be buying for them, but this has to stop.

Debt Free Aug 15 :)Mortgage Free Aug 16 :j
    Early retirement 1/10/ 2016.

• indigowarrior
    Options
    Can I join please. This month I want to work on changing my attitude with money. I am going to set my self 10 NSDs which I know I can do. Could I request one thing as an NSD this month please for me. I am taking my children to Mcdonalds for the final time for final contact. I dont know know when I will see them again. I dont want to be thinking about how much or what I am spending on that day.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Can I join please. This month I want to work on changing my attitude with money. I am going to set my self 10 NSDs which I know I can do. Could I request one thing as an NSD this month please for me. I am taking my children to Mcdonalds for the final time for final contact. I dont know know when I will see them again. I dont want to be thinking about how much or what I am spending on that day.

Of course. Wishing you all the love in the world. I wish I could be there with you, to hold you, to laugh or cry with you, but I can't so you must do these things for yourself. This too will pass. So far you have survived 100% of your worst days.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • indigowarrior
    indigowarrior Posts: 745 Forumite
    Options
    mothernerd wrote: »
    Of course. Wishing you all the love in the world. I wish I could be there with you, to hold you, to laugh or cry with you, but I can't so you must do these things for yourself. This too will pass. So far you have survived 100% of your worst days.
    Thank You Mothernerd. I know this will pass for me and I know I have support from many people online.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello, hanging head in shame and trying again. Fell off the reporting and SFD wagon yet again last month but I WILL keep trying. So please count me in for June. There are a few other areas in my life I need to address (drinking, self-worth etc) which hugely influence my will power etc for this challenge. Made a few steps in the right direction already.

Will print out the rules now.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure