Dismissed for swearing to myself

Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wyndham wrote: »
    It is unprofessional. And even if it was to yourself, there would be people around you who may have heard it and be offended. And it may have been picked up by their lines to the customers they were talking to.

The other issue is that you did not deal well with a customer with a disability - they cannot help being deaf and your behaviour was therefore inappropriate on that level as well.

I would have fired you on the spot. Find other ways to vent, or preferably other ways to not get wound up so easily.

+1

Likewise even if the customer didnt hear the O/P swearing, i am sure they could sense the O/P being frustrated.

Sounds like maybe call centre work isnt for you O/P.... ;)
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    You might want to learn some empathy.

I have mild hearing difficulties and using the phone when there is background noise (as there is with call centre calls) is horrible. I'll apologise for my difficulty but a little consideration in return should not be too much to expect, and someone swearing about me - even if I don't hear - is downright rude.

Easy to say, not so easy to do. The fact you don't mean (or can't help) doing something doesn't make it any less frustrating for someone else who's wound up by it.

I think the best outcome is that the OP has realised that perhaps working in a call centre, or working with the general public as a whole, maybe isn't the best role for them....
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    On the subject of empathy. In my previous job I had only used the phone when absolutely necessary, and then I always moved to a quiet location because I suffer with tinnitus. Job requirements changed and they tried to make me use the phone much more. I resisted, so an appointment with OH was arranged - by phone! I struggles to understand what the OH person was saying, partly due to the tinnitus and partly due to the OH person's extremely broad Northern Irish accent. He ended up actually shouting down the phone at me when I asked for questions to be repeated. I terminated the call and complained to my line manager.
    The report came from OH claiming there was no reason I couldn't use the phone. Thankfully by the time I had then been referred to the hearing clinic, and got and appointment, I had actually retired!
  • Manorgirl
    Options
    The thing is I do have a lot of empathy and this has been demonstrated by working with the public very successfully in two separate large supermarket chains where I was praised by managers. These managers I may add swore like mad lol! Not in front or within hearing distance of customers and never abusively to staff but as banter in the canteen or being frustrated at customers themselves in private. Both these managers I may add where the most professional hard working women I ever had the pleasure of working with and very caring and understanding. They understood that everyone is human and have emotions and stresses so no one was ever really reprimanded for swearing as long as customers didn’t hear it and it wasn’t spoken abusively or offensive to other staff, even newcomers. I’ve even many years ago worked in the civil service and they weren’t really bothered either as long as it’s not abusive. I’ve honestly never in my life have anyone in my life being offended by my swearing apart from my nana when I was 13 and I said bloody hell!
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    imagine a company not wanting somone swearing in a call centre - your customer might not have been able to hear it but how do you know others didnt hear it those microphones pick up a lot.

I'm sorry you got caught but you knew calls are recorded and monitored and it just so happens that your manager chose that call

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • Manorgirl
    Options
    People might get the idea I swear a lot but it’s only when I’m in high emotional states. I went on a group holiday this year and met a 65 year old lady who loves travelling. She was effing and blinding every other word. She was great! Such a character and great fun, I couldn’t stop laughing. So i think swearing is context based. I would never swear abusively at anyone I hate bullying but it can’t be bad all the time.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Manorgirl wrote: »
    So i think swearing is context based.

Absolutely, and swearing where it MIGHT be heard by the customer is not acceptable. End of story.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Manorgirl wrote: »
    and met a 65 year old lady who loves travelling. She was effing and blinding every other word.

That gets so boring!!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perhaps your unprofessional behaviour explains why you have had lots of jobs.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So you swore down the phone when the customer was still potentially listening and you are surprised you got sacked???

Really!?

The fact you are questioning this speaks more than the words you said!!

To put it in your language: you f*cked up so got sacked. Sh*t happens.

Always be nice to the customers, no matter how irritating you find them.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure