Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Comments

• I hope doing this right. Booked flight through PayPal sept 2016 to fly 8th sept 2017 On the third of sept 2017 had to change my flight to 21st April 2018 which cost a further £91 on credit card. Having knee operation so could not fly before then My insurance company not covering collapse of airline any advice please
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help! We have a holiday booked for the 15th October - 22nd October to Cyprus. Thomson have told us they can't rebook any flights for those days. What are our rights?

Thanks
    Claire

Thomson? booked as a package holiday? I would have thought they would be sorting it out. What have they offered you?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2017 at 7:26PM
    Wassoon wrote: »
    I hope doing this right. Booked flight through PayPal sept 2016 to fly 8th sept 2017 On the third of sept 2017 had to change my flight to 21st April 2018 which cost a further £91 on credit card. Having knee operation so could not fly before then My insurance company not covering collapse of airline any advice please

In theory as the flight has cost over £100 in total and you have put at least £1 on a credit card then you should be able to claim using section 75, but be prepared for them to put up a fight. Read Martin's S75 guide and use the standard letters on the web site as this one may take some explaining to them and it'll need to hit the desk of someone who understands S75.

If they refuse then you still have the option (within 180 days of the original transaction) to raise a dispute with Paypal and use chargeback to get the £91 from the credit card; or go to the ombudsmen if you think it isn't a fair decision.

Pick one of these options and pursue it, I'd start on S75 as you'll only be dealing with one company.
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help! We have a holiday booked for the 15th October - 22nd October to Cyprus. Thomson have told us they can't rebook any flights for those days. What are our rights?

Thanks
    Claire

If they can't offer you the holiday or a suitable alternative you should get a full refund at least. I don't think in these circumstances you have any other consumer rights to the holiday I'm afraid.
  • neenaww
    neenaww Posts: 475 Forumite
    Booked holiday via travel agency. Flying (or not!) with Monarch. Due to leave this Friday. They've no alternative flights & have said they will try find alternative holiday, around the same price bracket, tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. Our dates are not flexible. If there is nothing we are happy with can we say we will cancel and are we then entitled to a full refund? (It is ATOL protected)

Thanks
    [STRIKE]
    getting married to my best friend very soon!
    [/STRIKE]
    I am a married woman :j
  • Your link to paypal does not get you anywhere,you fill in all the forms then they ask you to contact Monarch? then tell you you have already raised a dispute. But when you go to their resolution area no dispute is raised. Phone them and an auomated call is no help at all. They appear to block every move you make.
  • The CAA website now states, in lovely bold lettering "If you booked directly with Monarch Holidays using a credit card, please contact your credit card issuer to make a claim for a refund."

I don't have a problem with this, but does anyone know, definitively, and supported by evidence, with whom one should make a claim first - ATOL or the credit card provider? I have no intention of being bounced between the CAA and First Direct.
    If in doubt - do something. (With fond memories of Harry Chapin)
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,051
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The CAA website now states, in lovely bold lettering "If you booked directly with Monarch Holidays using a credit card, please contact your credit card issuer to make a claim for a refund."

I don't have a problem with this, but does anyone know, definitively, and supported by evidence, with whom one should make a claim first - ATOL or the credit card provider? I have no intention of being bounced between the CAA and First Direct.

In previous examples of tour operators failing this has been the same advice. Those who booked on a credit card should reclaim via section 75. Your credit card company might be reluctant and fob you off to ATOL but just be firm and say you are following the ATOL/CAA advice.

Section 75 will be a far quicker way of getting your money back anyway. ATOL refunds will likely take many months.
  • bagand96
    Forumite
    neenaww wrote: »
    Booked holiday via travel agency. Flying (or not!) with Monarch. Due to leave this Friday. They've no alternative flights & have said they will try find alternative holiday, around the same price bracket, tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. Our dates are not flexible. If there is nothing we are happy with can we say we will cancel and are we then entitled to a full refund? (It is ATOL protected)

Thanks

You are entitled to alternative flights or a full refund. If you don’t like what the travel agent find you then ask for your refund. I’d be looking myself at what’s available that way you can offer suggestions to your travel agent. And if they don’t come up with anything ask for your refund and book the alternative yourself.
  • bagand96
    Forumite
    Hi,

Thanks
    Claire

Because you booked a package with Thomson and they are still trading the it’s up to them provide you alternative flights or a full refund. They may be genuine that they can’t find alternative flights. Or it may be that there are some available but they’re going to cost them a fortune.

I’d look yourself at alternative flights and if there are some ask Thomson to book you on them. If that fails then look at alternative Thomson holidays on your date and if you find something suitable (at or near your original cost) ask Thomson to move your holiday. Failing that ask for your full refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure