High Income Child Benefit Charge

Comments

• bobsp
    bobsp Posts: 19 Forumite
    Now quickly researching this, it is clear they have screwed up...

The Guardian:
    HMRC fails to communicate child benefit changes.
    Revenue blames incomplete data set for not contacting 300,000 families affected by imminent child benefit changes.

HMRC say:

However, to ensure people know about the changes we are also using extensive advertising, media and online activity, as well as written communication.
    The money will be taken through the self-assessment regime and will be paid when tax is collected for the financial year in which it is received.

Well that's all well and good for people that are using the self-assessment regime. What about those that are not!!! Written communication, according to publications you have failed HMRC.
    Alot of people don't use the self-assessment regime, I have never done a self assessment, I am on PAYE.
  • bobsp
    bobsp Posts: 19 Forumite
    Well finally got hold of HMRC, they confirmed nothing had been sent out to us, as they have no record.

I questioned them as to why this has come about when my company pays them my PAYE tax every month, and have done for years, so they know what I earn, but still continued to may this benefit. He said he cant answer that, now there is a surprise.

They also said I cant stop it, as I asked for it to be stopped immediately, my partner does as she is the recipient.

So I cant stop it as I am not the recipient, but you can still come to me despite admitting you have never sent anything out about this to me or my partner, and claim I pay it back?

You cant make this up...
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    If you are legally separated from your wife and not claiming the child benefit then you should not have to pay the charge from the date of separation.

You need to advise HMRC.

Child Benefit is a separate department from the Income tax and dealt with in a different office.
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 October 2017 at 10:13PM
    People need to understand that the legislation governing the tax rules makes it absolutely clear that the responsibility to ensure the correct amount of tax is paid lies with the Individual. This has always been the case.

HMRC are merely the collectors of tax. They are not there to hold everyones hand.

The Gov. UK website contains all of this information.

The letters were sent to people earning close to and over £50k in the first year the rules changed.

Anyone who claimed child benefit AFTER the rules changed was told about the limits at the time they claimed. Its on the claim form.

CBO (Child Benefit Office) pay child benefit, and whilst they may come under the umbrella of HMRC they dont have access to details of your income. There is also nothing stopping a person earning over £50k from claiming child benefit payments, it simply means the higher earner has to pay some or all of it back (1% repaid for every £100 taxable income over the limit).

Everyone needs to start understanding the tax rules much better as the proposed changes coming in future years means taxpayers will have far more responsibility to tell HMRC about changes. This is one of the reasons why the Personal Tax Account has been introduced.

Ignorance is not and never has been an acceptable/reasonable excuse.

You have 6 months from the end of the tax year to notify HMRC if you are due to pay the charge.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just to clarify is that 6 months to notify you are going to do SA as I thought that was 31 Oct not 5 Nov or is it 31 Jan to do it online. Or is it actually no longer possible to file SA?

Will it ever be possible for HMRC to get a newspaper to print a factual report of any tax changes? If a reputable newspaper (yes I know they are few & far between) are unable to print facts correctly how on earth are the rest of us supposed to get it right? And as for the HMRC website, search unless you know a very precise term = waste of time & if you do then it doesn't appear to be written in English.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    The higher income charge on CB was part of the Budget 2012 which reported on the BBC news, in the Telegraph and probably other papers.
  • flower77g
    flower77g Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It's probably worth those who are stuck with a penalty because of this checking whether they gave any money to charities in the affected year(s). There's some relief given for gift aid which could take the taxpayer back out of the higher rate tax bracket.
  • Toddy2
    Toddy2 Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I too received a letter today for 2014! My taxable income just nudged over the £50k to £52k by the time company car and health care were added. I did however, make £2.5k personal pension contributions - is it up to me to prove? I've since changed employers also moved the pension pot so little evidence.
  • Toddy2 wrote: »
    I too received a letter today for 2014! My taxable income just nudged over the £50k to £52k by the time company car and health care were added. I did however, make £2.5k personal pension contributions - is it up to me to prove? I've since changed employers also moved the pension pot so little evidence.

Your pension contribution is a bit confusing! You stated that it was to a personal pension but also mention that you have changed employers. To clarify, was the pension contribution taken via the payroll or did you pay the pension company directly?
  • Toddy2
    Toddy2 Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    MichelleUK wrote: »
    Your pension contribution is a bit confusing! You stated that it was to a personal pension but also mention that you have changed employers. To clarify, was the pension contribution taken via the payroll or did you pay the pension company directly?

Just spoke to them on the phone today and employee occupational contributions don't count. Although mine was set up as a SIPP and administered by an outside organisation (Hargreaves Lansdowne) and made contributions through my payroll. I have since transferred this into a Local Government pension (my new employer). Not much evidence to provide them with.

It's not helped that I had 3 employers that tax year! One has my income way too high on the P60, this one didn't come with a company car and I believe they have my 45p per mileage claims as part of this income.

All a bit of a mess and difficult for me to challenge their findings.

I feel for everyone who has to pay, and feel your pain. I need to pay mine by 20th November - thanks HMRC just before Christmas!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure