PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• I have also read the Douglas Adams books who could forget Marvin the paranoid android, all the Pratchetts, currently on my kindle I have two Val Mcdermids waiting to be read, a Ben Aaronovich and a Bernard Cornwell that I waiting to be released.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi all,
    Did someone want to party ?:j
    Trying to plan a girls night out on Saturday ... going to see if he wants to spend some quality time with his children .... If not .....hey ho
    will make the youngest 2 spend some time with there elder siblings lol ... few hours and I will be driving not drinking ....One step at a time ....
    Just need to do something , dd is up and down ...
    He did his 5 min visit today , but so far she hasn't been in tears ... think she is now just gobsmacked by him ....
    Apparently he has got them presents from his weekend away with gf .... *** , words actually fail me ... They are teenagers not 6 year olds ...

Other than that working to much , running when I can .... actually ate today , so will need to run later , but still running around with kids now and haven't fed them yet :eek:

Did a walk this afternoon with the pup , first time off the lead and thankfully she was brilliant ...did have visions of having to rugby tackle her to catch her :rotfl:

need to do some housework , but really can't be bothered ...

x
    £223/ £250 GC
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I devour books. Always have. God bless the person who invented the Kindle. They've saved me a fortune in excess baggage charges.

Unfortunately I believed all the wonderful jolly hockey sticks of the boarding school books. The gritty reality is something i wouldn't wish on my worst enemy - the worst culprit 'The Nicest Girl in the School' My mother had won it in school as a prize for 'good behaviour and top results' I tried to emulate it. It all went horribly wrong:(

I really need to clear out my bookshelves. Duncton Wood anyone:rotfl:
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Good on you Burtha Numpty ex's behaviour will come and bite him on the bum x

I am another avid reader, always have been - as young used to love Faraway Tree, St Claire's. As a teen Douglas Adams, Richard Adams, and developed a strange obsession with Shakespear - now anything and everything...

Hubby doesn't really read, never has, his Mum doesn't read either - annoyingly, when I am 'in the zone' lost in my lastest book, he thinks 'Oh she is a bit quiet' and try's to start a full debate about some old nonsense ;)

We are off on hols soon, books are selected for the trip - I have invested in an adult colouring book for his Nibbs, maybe he can chill out with that, if not, I am sure there will be some lovely walks :rotfl:
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Islandmaid I quite enjoy adult dot-to-dot books :) I did try colouring but didn't find it as absorbing as I'd hoped!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Islandmaid I had to educate my ex-dh about the joys of reading, he just didn't get it! Current DH is a reader (thank heavens!) as are my sons (despite ds2 being dyslexic)... I couldn't contemplate a home without books!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I bought him an annual subscription to his favourite magazine 'Britain at War' he likes that as it is in smaller blocks which he can read in the Ermmm 'Library' so he is learning :rotfl::rotfl:
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I loved Enid Blyton as a child but was horrified in later life when my DDs were reading them. They were such nasty children , really horrible to each other, and I noticed my elder DD talking to her younger sister in a really unpleasant way after an Enid Blyton binge.

I read all the series mentioned by others plus a few - anyone remember the Bobsey twins? And there was a series about a student nurse set in the 1930s (I'm not thinking about Lucilla Andrews that came later) The sheer joy of discovering a new series to gobble up, nothing beats it
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh i so love reading, too! Amongst others I love the PGWodehouse Jeeves n Wooster books. I was so pleased to hear Stephen Fry talking about Wodehouse on Radio 4, saying that he was not a nazi apologist, thank goodness. I shall re-read some of the books and of course the characters do now sound exactly like Fry and Laurie :rotfl:

Today was varied but all turned out well. Car passed the MOT test and is no longer cheating emissions tests because it got the fix. I had to leave home early to get to the garage on time but thankfully the roads were 'school-holiday-quiet'!
    I walked about 3 miles in total while the car was in the garage (not sitting inside on a sunny day waiting!) - picked up a few bits from a couple of shops that I don't normally get to, and then had to carry them back up a steep hill to the garage!

Then i had to visit a friend to witness some signatures on legal docs.

Finally got home at about 4pm and sat in the garden, er, reading! for 40 mins before starting dinner prep.

To cap it all the rhubarb and crystalised ginger crumble I had made was delish.

Back to work tomorrow but I have 3 lovely clients on Wednesdays so it is a pleasure.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hester, before Lady C's Lover was given the green light in this country we had a much fingered, brown paper covered French edition passed around at school. It did wonders for our French though sadly I still failed my French 'O' level. Inexplicably there were no questions about Lady C, only a rather strange request to write an essay about my nightdress. This I struggled with, I wore PJs. Afterwards it appeared that I was supposed to be writing about my nightmare. An easy mistake to make.

burtha, leave the housework, it's not going anywhere. Much more important to do things that you can get even a smidgen of enjoyment from.
    As a matter of interest, how much interaction with his children did pratface have before he shuffled off to pastures new? I ask because he doesnt seem to have the foggiest idea about what they need or what to do with them. This business of 5 minute appointments is ridiculous.
    Hope you have some fun on Saturday night, where would we be without our friends? Mine saved me.

Oh the joy of Kindles. When I used to go abroad on holiday, at least half of my suitcase was filled with paperbacks. It played havoc with the weight allowance. I do tend to pick up mysterious books that are being offered free. Some of them are very strange, and I can read most things.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family