47kg Propane Calor Gas Prices - What are you paying?

I would like to start a website which tracks bottled 47kg gas prices across the country in order to fight for the energy minister to regulate propane gas prices and remove the VAT from it. There are no websites which compare prices. I live in a rural area and have no real alternative Since I moved in in 2006, my 47kg gas price has risen from £26 to, today £56.50. Five years 102%. Since many people who live in rural areas are already paying the most for energy and have disproportionately low incomes I think a campaign on this is long overdue.

Please post your location and price you are paying. If we all do it we can make a case to the government for regulation or some kind of subsidy which puts propane on a par with mains gas. Sadly overdue I think.

So, I'll start Basildon, Essex: £56.50

Comments

• RomaN
    RomaN Posts: 6 Forumite
    Paid £54.95 yesterday down here in Cornwall.
  • £52.50 picked up at travis perkins(ferndown) I drove 10miles into east dorset for that.
  • £60 Delivered in Herts (incl VAT) Flogas

Criminal.
  • jaycie
    jaycie Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2011 at 10:56AM
    We are paying £60.00 from Flo Gas here on the Norfolk/ suffolk border. About 4 weeks ago it was £52.50 then it went up.
  • new to all this as just moved into the country and the property I rent has 4x 47kg cylinders

now I was told that on average use 2 cylinders should last 3-4 weeks

I have just used 2 in 2 weeks....and that is 2 hours in morning and 3-4 hours in an evening due to being at work which talking to my neighbour should last a while as that is what they do

so something isnt right....so any ideas on how to make it last?

the boiler is on max...do I change that, do i have it on heating only or water and heating?

as I am paying £106 for 2 cylinders...so every 2-3 weeks is a rip!!

any help would be greatly appreciated
  • We also have 4 cylinders at our rented property. In the coldest spell 2 bottles were lasting 18 days. They have recently gone up from £52.50 per cylinder to £60.00 each.

At the moment two last up to 21 days. When we don't have the heating on in the warmer weather 2 can last the whole summer as they are then just for the gas hob and hot water.

I wish we could get them for £106.00 for the two. My o/h is a gas engineer so I will ask him if he has any advice for you.
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 February 2011 at 12:29PM
    Jeffers2710
    We had the same problem here in Itay, while our house was being renovated. We lived in a small apartment (40sq mtrs ) and 2x 47 kg bottles lasted about 2 weeks.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • This is simple, & will really annoy the gas companies, who are "allegedly" exploiting the situation with the gas market !

Game farms, breading Pheasants , etc, need large amounts of bottled gas, usually 47kgs for heating. They have great buying power, & will not tollerate getting "Ripped off".

ITS SIMPLE... BUY YOUR GAS FROM A GAME FARM, it will cost up to 20% less, (The discount they get for quantity) Dont advertise which game farm you buy from, as the Gas companies will cut off the supply,to that farm, if they think they are selling it on.
    What I suggest is totally legal, but NOT WHAT THE GAS COMPANIES WANT !
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Wow - £60 a bottle - I wish! It's a gas hob we've got and I paid £81 for a 47kg bottle back in July of last year. No idea what they are now.

Based in the Outer Hebrides
  • scooter74 wrote: »
    I would like to start a website which tracks bottled 47kg gas prices across the country in order to fight for the energy minister to regulate propane gas prices and remove the VAT from it. There are no websites which compare prices. I live in a rural area and have no real alternative Since I moved in in 2006, my 47kg gas price has risen from £26 to, today £56.50. Five years 102%. Since many people who live in rural areas are already paying the most for energy and have disproportionately low incomes I think a campaign on this is long overdue.

Please post your location and price you are paying. If we all do it we can make a case to the government for regulation or some kind of subsidy which puts propane on a par with mains gas. Sadly overdue I think.

So, I'll start Basildon, Essex: £56.50

We too have LPG heating in two of our holiday houses. The cost has risen steadily to well over £1000 per tonne.

Although tax is an element in this, the big reason for the rise is worldwide demand for oil products.

Unfortunately, cheap energy is a thing of the past. We have no 'right' to expect cheap heating, electricity or road fuels.

I believe you have to be proactive and think ahead. One of those LPG boilers is being ripped out right now, and a heat pump is going in.

We have had a log boiler at our (large) home for over 2 years now, and only consume a tiny amount of heating oil, (our backup system).

In some of our other houses, I have installed immersion heaters to reduce oil and gas consumption.

Of course, nothing is foolproof, electricity prices will go up too, and so will wood. If you can make some elec yourself (panels, turbine, etc.) so much the better, and buying a small area of woodland may well prove a wise investment.

Unfortunately it seems many people would rather buy a new Xbox or a new car, than invest in future proofing themselves against energy poverty......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure