Stop buying american products

13»

Comments

• No-name_2
    No-name_2 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post
    Just brought something from America via ebay UK - good service, great price - thank you USA!
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    GEDJARVIS wrote: »
    I'm truly shocked at people's attitude and lack of backbone when it comes to American products and the current problems being caused by the U.S.A.
    This is your opportunity to buy British and support your own country, just remember today it's someone else tomorrow it could be you.
    Stand up for what's right.
    To the people who criticise me, would you want someone to fight for you when you were wronged?
    Who's been wronged?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ........ it's about standing up to the bully in the playground, over to you.
    So we need to stop buying German and French products as well then. Or is it only one bully you don't like ?
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 23 June 2018 at 6:43PM
    I'm truly shocked at people's attitude and lack of backbone when it comes to American products and the current problems being caused by the U.S.A.
    This is your opportunity to buy British and support your own country, just remember today it's someone else tomorrow it could be you.
    To the people who criticise me, would you want someone to fight for you when you were wronged?

The trouble is the US people voted in an egoistic narcissistic into the highest position in thier land.

They did it to themselves.

When they find that his 'Make America Great Again' campaign will actually cost jobs, rise prices due to trade levies and find everybody in the world actually hating the USA more, that's when things will change.

I looked at what I buy and DO buy British. Unfortunately a lot of the other stuff is made in China but branded in the UK. I don't see any products around me that are directly USA made.

Personally I think China is the biggest problem to world trade. They will soon influence the world more in general than the USA.

I would suggest you get off your preaching soapbox and do some research into that question.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • I!!!8217;m going to the USA in a few weeks again. Wish I had moved there years ago!
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I buy British when I can, but I shall not be avoiding American products. I have a brother that lives in Alabama, how is he supposed to do the same?

Trump may be a bully, but he is putting his own country first as we should.

I for one am not going to punish the American people for electing an idiot. After all, we came rather too close to having an idiot in government. Can you imagine if we had elected Corbyn, the country would be on it's knees by now - at least their idiot has not utterly wrecked his country, and he loves America as opposed to Corbyn who appears to hate the UK.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite

You need to name all of the everyday US products that we need to stop buying because I just can't think of any.
    I won't stop using the products that I already own but if you can tell me what to stop buying then I will give it all of my attention.

I am not talking about the big stuff like Microsoft and steel, I am talking about the small stuff like Starbucks and Pepsi (neither of which I buy).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You need to name all of the everyday US products that we need to stop buying because I just can't think of any.
    Coca Cola and MacDonalds are just two which come to mind. You mention another two yourself. There are hundreds of products originating from the USA. What about Hollywood films, Amazon etc?

I doubt anyone will provide you with a comprehensive list.

To be frank, any kind of embargo on US goods would have to be enacted by governments to have any effect. This isn't going to happen.

Realise also that a lot of local people are employed by American firms. Do you want them to lose their jobs?
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Coca Cola and MacDonalds are just two which come to mind. You mention another two yourself. There are hundreds of products originating from the USA. What about Hollywood films, Amazon etc?

I doubt anyone will provide you with a comprehensive list.

To be frank, any kind of embargo on US goods would have to be enacted by governments to have any effect. This isn't going to happen.

Realise also that a lot of local people are employed by American firms. Do you want them to lose their jobs?

My post was more tongue in cheek than anything and aimed at the OP to see if they could actually answer.

I would not target 'made under licence' products as they are not imported even though the parent company is American, the product on sale in this country was in all likelihood not made there.

There has still been nothing named on this thread that is imported from America that I buy.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There has still been nothing named on this thread that is imported from America that I buy.
    Marvel and DC comics? :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport