Using annual leave for emergency’s

Comments

• There may not be a thing as registered disabled but seeming as she is it means that I can have parental leave in single days not blocks.
    I didn’t mean Acas said I can take my appointments unpaid, they said I am allowed time off in an emergency unpaid. They said yes if it’s possible to arrange childcare that’s ideal but if she’s in a serious way in ICU I’m not going to arrange for a family member to sit with her instead of me. It’s never more than 2 days in fact normally just the 1 day, as soon as she’s out of any immediate danger I go back to work
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    sangie595 wrote: »
    There is no such law in the UK. Which is what was being suggested. What an employer may do is up to them. And I would assume that the OP wouldn't be here asking for laws that support them if the employer permitted such leave.

You will also be aware that those policies most often also involve blocks of time off, or regular time off to fit business need. And can usually only be supported by the largest employers. To be regularly allowing regular appointments every two weeks, random periods of time whenever she's in hospital, and also annual leave etc - that's all a very large amount of time when the OP isn't working. As I said, employers employ people to work.

This isn't about being unsympathetic. It is about being realistic.

I'd take the collaborative approach with your boss. If an office worker came to me with your problems, then I'd look to see if we (employee and I), could find a way of getting round this. It depends a lot on the job of course. I have a lady that mostly does admin and we could fairly easily agree to her doing extra hours four days a week, or cutting some hours if that suited. Other staff it might be more difficult if it was long term.

OP, speak to your boss, put it that you are trying to do what's best for both of you. Good luck.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    There may not be a thing as registered disabled but seeming as she is it means that I can have parental leave in single days not blocks.
    I didn’t mean Acas said I can take my appointments unpaid, they said I am allowed time off in an emergency unpaid. They said yes if it’s possible to arrange childcare that’s ideal but if she’s in a serious way in ICU I’m not going to arrange for a family member to sit with her instead of me. It’s never more than 2 days in fact normally just the 1 day, as soon as she’s out of any immediate danger I go back to work
    And that's fine. I'd make the same choice. But it isn't an emergency for two days. So the employer is perfectly entitled to dictate how that leave is accounted for. There isn't any "ideal" about it - you are permitted time to arrange for someone else only. The problem here is that you want it all. You want to take one or two days unpaid when you need them. You want to take all your holidays, and when you want to take them. You want to work full time. What about what the employer wants - which will almost certainly be wanting their employee not being absent from work on a regular basis? Your demands are one sided. This appears to have had the effect of them running out of flexibility.

If your daughter is that important, and I'm sure she is, then you need to reevaluate the value of being a full time employee when you have such significant demands during working time. If having full time work is more important then you actually need to work full time. And that means not expecting the employer to do all the giving.

If you can't compromise, then this isn't likely to end happily. Please understand that significant amounts of time off, even for someone with needs associated with disability, are still significant amounts of time off - and employers are entitled to manage that as a capability issue.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for your message, unfortunately I am not in a position financially to do anything other than work full time

The problem you face is that you're not working full time. You may have to make a choice between a reduced income for working part time (as has been said elsewhere, this could be as little as a 10% reduction by working 9 day fortnights) or no income because your employer is no longer prepared to tolerate continual absences.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just a question. If the OP is entitled to carers leave, but has to give 21 days notice in order to take this and knows that hospital appts happen every other Wednesday, can't she give notice 21 days in advance in anticipation of the next appt?
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    When I used to care for nan I used to allocate a day a week and take her to all appointments on that day. If you mention to the places they often will give you early/ late appointments and try and work round you. Might be worth asking for either and then taking them back to school for half a day so your not using as much al
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Sophielooloo
    Sophielooloo Posts: 16 Forumite
    I don’t want it all, that’s unfair and incorrect. Firstly from a financial point of view I need to work full time to pay the mortgage and the bills. Working part time is not an option.
    Secondly i don’t want all my holidays, I use my holidays for appointments which isn’t a problem. My daughter has a lot of appointments some which I get family to take her to and others I book holidays and use my holidays for. I don’t want to save my holidays for time abroad or at home, I’m trying to save them for appointments.
    With regards to time off in an emergency, it’s only ever been 1 day not 2 at a time however if my daughter is in a very serious condition in ICU then I wouldn’t expect someone else to go sit with her and I would need to be there. That has happened before but it’s fallen over weekends. There is no rule in place that says just 1 day, it actually says a reasonable amount of time is 1-2 days but u have never taken more than 1.
    With regards to time off work in emergency I have had around 3 seperare day’s since January and had no sick days for myself. There are people in the office who are actually off a lot more than me and they are not in my situation.
  • Sophielooloo
    Sophielooloo Posts: 16 Forumite
    I wouldn’t say 3 days off for emergencies is continual absences
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2018 at 8:37AM
    I think you are misunderstanding something. The employer doesn't care what your problems are. They don't care about your caring responsibilities. They don't care about whether you can afford your bills and mortgage. They don't care about what anyone else does, in your opinion. They care that you are at work when you should be at work because that is what you are paid to be. You are on about what you think your rights are. You being at work and doing your job is their right!

And it doesn't say you are allowed unlimited reasonable time off - you missed out the bit that says "to make arrangements for care", not to provide it yourself. It's "reasonable time off, unpaid, to arrange for care".

But you have decided what you think you are going to have, and your employer gets no say in the matter. There's no negotiation, and you don't actually want advice unless it tells you what you want to hear. This will very likely end badly. I'm out. No point telling you what you don't want to be told.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    For parents of disabled children, parental leave can be taken without it being in a block. However, the 21 days notice should still be given.

That is exactly why I take our family holidays as half annual leave, half parental leave. I can give the required 21 days notice for family holidays as we know about these months ahead; and it keeps some annual leave to use for our son's short notice appointments and school meetings.

My employer has a very detailed Carers Policy, but even it only grants one day's leave for emergency "to make arrangements for care" as mentioned by Sangie.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport