First Direct card PPI

Options
I've received a call from FD asking me about sickness and other benefits I had in place dating back to the 90's, when I took out credit cards. I was able to answer quite easily even though it was a long time ago as I've always worked for big FS or similar with long sick pay periods , good Death in service benefits and PHI cover for when sick pay runs out and I also have additional cover through my husbands work.

Do you think the above will help my claim?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It won't make any difference to a claim, but it potentially adds some weight to a complaint.
  • MoorMum
    MoorMum Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    thanks, that's what I meant, a complaint rather than a claim. I just wondered whether they would even have bothered phoning me to ask if they weren't considering settling my complaint?

And do they check up? Not that it matters as I told the truth, I've always ample cover elsewhere.

She was very nice, I will say that.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they want to, they will ask you to provide proof of your claims, if they have a record of the benefits of firms then they may not need to
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I sent of a request for PPI information to First Direct a month or 2 ago (I thought I probably had it on a loan or card back in the early 2000's, but had no documentation).

Was expecting to hear back from them at some stage with details of the paperwork, to at least see if it was worth pursuing further, so was somewhat surprised to have no further contact until suddenly the cash turned up on my account last week.
  • MoorMum
    Options
    I suppose what I'm trying to gauge is would they even be asking the questions about my employment and attaching benefits if they felt they could reject my complaint outright on another basis. On my complaint I had to state that because they hadn't supplied dates that I took out the cards/loans etc etc that I couldn't say where I was employed at that time. But now they have asked the questions on dates of employment etc. I was able to give them a definitive answer on benefits etc.
  • MoorMum
    Options
    Filo that's interesting, thanks. She did explain what happens if they decide your complaint is valid ( money goes in bank and you get a letter with breakdown) but also what happens if they decide to reject. Which I suppose you would expect really as they quite rightly wouldn't raise your expectations.

I filed a bank charges claim with them several years ago and that was deal with very efficiently too, incidentally.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I assume (and it's just that) that the bank can see your statements and therefore salary payments. From there perhaps they can tell about any in-service benefits.

Really don't know, just guessing.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    I assume (and it's just that) that the bank can see your statements and therefore salary payments. From there perhaps they can tell about any in-service benefits.
    The bank wouldn't be asking the OP in post #1 to provide details of salary and benefits etc if they could already (easily) determine this from statements. There are too many variables for statements to provide all this information, for instance the Bank in question might not even be the recipient of her salary and they certainly won't be able to link the complaint to her partner's income and employee benefits.

It's also neither a positive nor a negative that they ask these questions, it's just part of their complaint process.

The OP can therefore derive no expectation of success (or failure) from the interview, but she'll know one way or the other soon enough anyway :)
  • MoorMum
    Options
    They did know who my employers were at the time of the two agreements being taken out, one was the local police authority and one a very large insurance company. So very good sickness, redundancy salary continuation and death benefits. They asked me about what benefits I would have received.

My salary is paid into First Direct.
  • MoorMum
    Options
    Received a payment of £850 plus into my bank this morning for PPI reclaim. No details but they did say they'd send a letter so I'll have a look when I get home. Not bad though. Hoping for similar success with MBNA now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure